Nitrogen issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitrogen issue?

Hello all. I seem to be having what appears to be nitrogen deficiency. However being my first grow and not having much knowledge before starting i have some pellets in soil with 19-6-12. And i spray the leaves with water that also has the pellets in it. So if anything it should be to much nitrogen, however it just doesn't seem to fit.

So from the beginning, i started with bag seed and i believe it was 4 plants originally. One plant i have no recollection of what happened to her. I do believe plant one and 2 others were from the same bag as they had similar growth. Well plant 2 and 3 grew tall slim at first and plant 4 stayed short until i transplanted, but more on that later. I initially planted all of them in cups after germination with soil from dollar store. Went and got pots and more dollar store soil and went and got the pellets. I have 3 containers with the dollar store crap soil and pellets and 1 that has a little of the soil and some soil with the white rock stuff perlite or vermiculite or w/e and that as well has the pellets.

So for the first couple weeks before transplant plant 2 and 3 were getting kinda tall and plant 4 was showing little sign of wanting to grow (cant remember when plant 1 died). Well when i transplanted the something told me to put plant 4 in the container with the mixed looser soil. And after transplant plant 4 shot up and plant 2 died. Oh ya plant 2 and 4 had stem rot at transplant. I just topped plant 4 and done some trimming and did some lst on plant 3 and am trying to clone plant 4 to switch to a soilless set up after 1st harvest. Assuming she turns up female. Well back to my problem. Plant 3 is still rather small, hasnt grown much since transplant and shes almost 3 months. Both plants having issues that seem like nitrogen deficiency and have been for about a week or two now but in all reality they should be getting to much. Im also using led lights one is daylight 1550 lumens and one was somewhere between soft white and daylight at 800 lumes but also just got a 65w spotgro light to add more light and heat. Only running 2 lights in a closet and appears to light it up well.

Sorry the operation is so sporadic, just running on a very low budget until im not spending 100 a week on herbs lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not letting me upload pics and on my phone so not giving me an option to resize. I can send pics if needed, just let me know your preferred contact method.

There are several potential problems and it would help to have a little more data. Are you checking the pH of your water. (GH test kit drops about $7 and can last several grows. ) If you are having "stem rot" you may be having a drainage issue. Does water flow freely out the bottom of your containers after watering? The Perlite or Vermiculite are meant to help water pass through the dirt but the water still has to be able to get out of the container or it can "drown" your roots. Slow release fertilizer pellets are not great for Marijuana growing but it sounds like you can't do much about that now. If you are planing on doing a soil-less grow for clones you will have to invest in some nutrients. If you have good drainage and pH is ok then I would consider the lighting, but someone smarter than I am about that would have to help. Good luck! Some pics would be very helpful if you can get that figured out.

Comment

I have not checked the ph. Plan to get a tester soon. Just live paycheck to paycheck so it's a slow process. The new growth looks good since yesterday (pictures are from yesterday) lower fan leaves still not looking so great. I have to be somewhere with better reception than my house too upload images. Pots drain fine. The mix with the rock stuff stays moist longer and its in a bigger pot but it's loose and moist not tight and soggy. The lighting seems to have been working great. Only change is the newer light runs a bit hotter but it's 2 screw it bulbs in clip on lights with the shell. So heat isn't really a concern.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Kornbred; 05-18-2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Kornbred
        Kornbred commented
        Editing a comment
        Update: Seen some gnats last night so going to fix that and see how things are.

Your plants actually look pretty good! Just a little overwatered (maybe they need less water at a time, or to be watered less often). The fungus gnats are also caused by overwatering.

Your plant also needs more light. It'll start growing really fast once it gets higher light levels!

The pH may be the cause of the bottom leaves as the pH being too high or low is the number one cause of deficiencies. PH Up and PH Down are honestly the "supplements" that will help your grow more than almost anything if your pH happens to naturally be too high or low!

Nice job so far!

Comment

• Kornbred
        Kornbred commented
        Editing a comment
        Still got to get a ph tester but plan soon. Working on a tight budget for awhile. Should i get a ph tester another light first? I only smoke good green so im spending about 100 - 150 a week, so until my first harvest is dried and cured im penny pinching. The one im doing the lst on, its been about e hight for over a month and a half now. Whats with that? Also before i get a light. That closet is actually super bright, do i really need more light?

• NebulaHaze
        NebulaHaze commented
        Editing a comment
        As far as light, your yields are directly correlated to the light levels. Light is like food for your plants. So for example you're using LED bulbs, you could expect about 0.5g/watt on average. So if you had 100W of light in total (amount pulled out of the wall, not "equivalent" watts) you could expect about 50 grams of bud on an average grow, or about 1.7 oz. So as far as light, the right amount of light depends on your yield goals.

As far as what's more important, more lights or a pH tester, that's a really tough one. A pH tester will prevent deficiencies, but more light will make the plants grow faster and bigger. So if you're more worried about them being sick, I'd get the pH tester first. If they look mostly okay for now, then maybe it's time to get more light.

So yesterday i got home and plants were looking about as good as usual. So i went to walmart and got more lights and ran my other errands. Well some 3 or 4 hours later i got home and they looked kinda rough. So guess ph tester is a must lol. Gnats dont seem to be hovering around though.

Sidenote: only letting me upload the one image.
      Attached Files

Comment

• NebulaHaze
        NebulaHaze commented
        Editing a comment
        I know it's a big favor, but if you get a chance, could you email any pictures that don't upload to the forum to brokenpictures@growweedeasy.com? Along with the model of phone/camera you took the pictures with? We're working to get this fixed hopefully soon, and the more picture examples we have, the better

I think it just needs more light That's why they get all long and skinny. So I think you're already on top of it because you got more light!

Comment

So i tried the 4 parts water 1 part hydrogen peroxide the night before last. I actually did 1 part peroxide, 1 part nutrient/water mix, and 4 parts water. Yesterday morning they look alright considering the recent issues. However after getting home last night, my plants lookin sad. Checked the soil and all seemed dry about 2 inches down, so i watered them with straight water and i usually spray the entire plant with the nutrient/water mix a few times a day, but i did straight water last night. The gnats seem to be gone, so all in all things got wet trying to rinse out the peroxide, will keep the fan on them though to help dry things and keep things difficult for gnats.

And again photos loading.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X