New to indoor growing. Slow growth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to indoor growing. Slow growth.

New to growing indoors. My plant is on day 47 and is only 10 inches tall. I was putting pebbles on top of my soil to keep gnats out because I have my grow box in my barn. I took the pebbles off cause I think the water wasn’t drying out quick enough. Only water every 3-4 days, but noticed the top layer of soil was still wet when I removed the pebbles. Would that stunt the growth? Soil ph is 6.5 and so is water. It’s well water. I’ve never seen this slow of growth in any of my outdoor plants. I doubt this is normal for indoor. I keep it out in the sun during the day and under ten 23 watt CFLs at night. I’m using FFOF for my soil. Thanks for any help or comments.

Has your pot got holes in the bottom?
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Yes. I have drilled extra holes in the bottom and on the sides at the bottom. When I water it doesn’t take long for it to run out the bottom. Less than ten seconds I guess. I do have pebbles in the bottom of the pot to keep the holes from getting clogged.

Comment

Oh, and I added 20% perlite with the soil too. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I guess I’m just wondering if being so compact and bushy is good. Not sure the strain, it was bagseed given to me by a friend. It does have a strong citrus smell though.

Comment

Bushy/compact can be fine, my motto is some is better than none, but let's see if you can get more.
            have you check the underside of the Leafs for bugs?
            do you feed nutes?
            why 24hrs of light?
            if your soil is wet it needs to dry out.
            You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

I plan on letting it veg for how ever long it takes. Till it at least gets to the size of the pot. I put it indoors at 8pm every night and the indoor lights don’t come on till midnight.

I’ve been checking the leaves. Haven’t seen nothing other than a caterpillar, got rid of it immediately. Going to pick up some Neem spray today. Is that a good organic bug spray to use?

I used tomato veg bites one time at a quarter strength of the recommended indoor use. I noticed brown tips on the bottom leaves and quit using.

I let the soil dry down to two knuckles deep and the leaves perked back up. I lightly watered it after that to where just the top of the soil is moist. Just going to give it a little at a time and check more often to see if it’s dry.

Are those moisture/light/ph pens any good? I just want to use the moisture on it. I have a soil ph test kit. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Healthy looking plant to me. My WW were only 18" tall at 60+ days; bushy like yours. I like the pebbles idea... serves as mulch, which could be a good thing out in the sun, but maybe not so good in the barn (how humid in there??). It would probably balance out anyway. For outdoor plants I put 1/2 inch of compost on top to act as a mulch (+ trickle feed as I water). I used FFOF; it's got everything in it so added very little nutes... 1/2 cup of alfalfa meal around 1 month, bone meal and GH "Bloom" at beginning of flower. Don't need Neem unless you already have bugs; good stuff though; don't spray on buds. I'll sell you my moisture/light/ph meter cheap... I found it useless. Since you're moving your pot (the bucket, lol) everyday, learn to feel how heavy it is with/without water. Amazing how light it will feel just before wilt. That potting soil is pretty lightweight and you have a small pot... if it feels heavy, it's probably plenty wet. I learned to water by feeling the weight and have not overwatered since.
                FFOF +extra castings, compost, coco
                Veg 8 bulb T5 (blue)
                Flower 600w HPS
                alfalfa meal, bone meal, FF Big Bloom, Down-to-Earth Liquid Bloom
                1st grow White Widow
                Now growing GG4 auto and photo

Comment

Thanks Toripony. The pebbles was throwing me off weight wise but since I took the off I can definitely tell a difference in the weight now. You are right FFOF is a light weight soil. Since I let the soil dry out and the weight of the bucket go light before I water the plant has started to take off some. I’m starting to get about a inch and a half growth per day. Way better than a half inch every other day. I’ve been keeping a journal on my temps and humidity in the box in the barn at various times during the day. I’m running between 54% and 67% humidity but on rainy days I get up to 75%. I decided to go by weight instead of one of those moisture meters. They didn’t have good reviews online. lol. I’ve been reading this forum for a few months to get a good idea of what was what before I started indoor. Outdoor is definitely easier. lol Thanks for the help bud. Great forum. Is there a way to get notifications when someone comments? Still trying to figure out how to navigate the forum.

Comment

• Toripony
                    Toripony commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm still figuring this place out, too. For notifications, check your "Messages" (with a red number) at the very top of the screen. Be careful about that humidity... at 80% mold started growing on my dirt overnight.

I accidentally knocked off a lower branch checking for bugs. I figured I would try cloning it so it didn’t just go to waste. I didn’t have any cloning gel or powder so I just dipped it in local honey. The first pic was on Wednesday when I planted it and the second is today. I’m pretty proud of it. Looks like it might take to me. What y’all think? I took it out the little pot and put it in the solo when I got some more. Cut some slits all the way around the bottom of the cup.

Comment

Hello,
                    Can you post an updated picture? Did it work?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. Putting it in the 5 gallon bucket has done wonders. It took a few days but it started growing good. Just trying to figure out when to start adding nutes. The first one is when I transplanted it and the second one is this morning. It’s been 10 days.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                        D.A.A.S.69 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Saltyveins, nice job, she is looking much better.
                        FFOF feeds for 3-4weeks maybe, but now would be a good a time as any to start using nutrients But, start about quarter strength, then gradually up the nutes, keeping a close eye on your plants for tip burn.
                        And aways, get a good runoff.
                        Good Luck

D.A.A.S.69 Thanks bud. I’m on day 65. I added the rest of my bag of FFOF but I don’t know how much that will help. Do I feed every water or every other watering? I water every 4-5 days for now. The strain is Pink Lady? Ever heard of it? I heard it was a 8-12 week flower period. Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

How do you comment on the post like you did? Still trying to figure out how to work the site. lol

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                          D.A.A.S.69 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Saltyveins, some people feed every other watering, some people water,water,feed.
                          But you need to be starting to feed your plant, soon if not the next watering.
                          I've never heard of Pink Lady, but sure sounds nice.
                          And on your comments, click on the 3 black dots, next to the Like mark.
                          Good Luck with your plant SV !!!

Cool deal, thanks! I will feed next watering. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X