Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures of seedlings need help identifying issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures of seedlings need help identifying issue.

Hello to all good day and night accordingly. Have 3 seedlings that were recently transplanted and have had alot of rain and sun. Dont know if it's vitamins, pests, or ph, or whatever else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.ill Do my best to respond quickly to inquiries. Thank you for your time.

Ps issues with photo upload on my android, 3rd and 4th photos are repeats of an unknown variety that has mango. Final photo Is the underside of one leaf.

First did you add any perlite to that soil? It looks to dense so will not get enough oxygen. In the first picture the bottom leaves will frequently die. As long as the top leaves stay healthy you will be fine. The 2nd 2 pictures looked normal to me.

But if that soil is to compacted your plants are going to struggle alot. These plants need lots of oxygen. And make sure to use the proper ph water.

Comment

Hello, no no perlite i did add some Wood chips and leave. yes but it's More then the normal die off of leaves. The whole plant wants to die. I'll try to find a at home way to test ph

Comment

• Potted
        Potted commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheep way to test for ph any pet store with fish has ph strips u just dip and Mach the color and adjust with ph up or down to 6.5 in soil

• freddyyola
        freddyyola commented
        Editing a comment
        ph pen and ppm pen combo for 14$ on amazon i just ordered it last night.. free shipping with prime and u get free prime with your first order automatically cause you gotta use a card and thats all you need for prime..

Well without perlite in that soil the drainage will be poor and it will not get enough oxygen. And to date i have not seen wood chips to be helpful for cannabis plants.

Comment

The soil i use, ffof, comes with perlite already in it but I still add another 15 to.20% of perlite to it by volume.

Comment

• freddyyola
          freddyyola commented
          Editing a comment
          hey bro im using the same fox farm ocean forest and having the same freaking problem you are!!! they get worse and worse then die or stay stunted and wont grow idk whats wrong yet ima transplant into a bigger pot using the rest of my ocean forest mixed with more perlite asap also my ph pen comes in tomorrow ill let you know if it was a ph problem..

I wouldn't have transplanted them that young. What is your ph? Do you have good drainage on those pods? I use great white for transplanting. I would do a foliar feeding with calmag or seeweed at 5.8 ph and take it from there. Good luck. Soil ph should be 6.0 to 7.0
        Current Grow
        Power Plant | 2x2x4 Tent | FFOF Soil | BP Cal-Mag | FF Trio Nutes | 300 LED | Temp R/H Gauge | Humidifier | Fans | 2 Gallon Smart Pot | 4' 190 CFM/Speed Controller | 4' Carbon | Passive Intake

Comment

Potted I'm currently in a out of the way town in peru, and no tests are sold. I did a soil test with baking soda, soil appears to be a bit acidic

Redwasp ok i Will try find a substitute for perlite was hoping the Wood chips would make it More airy.

strainsgrow the 1st plant wasn't transplanted, the 2nd and 3rd were in the same pot and i moved them to their own pots. They didn't seem to be affected by the moving as they were yellowing before. No ph test kits, did a baking soda test on the dirt and it appears to be slightly acidic soil I'm thinking 6.5. the drainage Is decent Water in the pot doesn't take long to filter through but i should probabaly make the dirt More airy. Was thinking of putting some Clover perhaps Is nitrogen issue
          Last edited by Antonio92; 06-13-2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Antonio92 ,Most all soil companies put wood chips and small slices of wood in their soil as a filler. But I would not remove them, that would take all day to pick out all the wood in a sack of soil, most all of the soil that I use from the delta is full of prices of sticks And decayed wood , never hurt anything that I can tell, matter of fact FFOF an ffhf are full of wood And people use it, with good results, don't worry about the wood, it's not gonna hurt a thing.
            If it was bad for your soil, they wouldn't put it in there. Not enough in there to cause any problems, I'd put it in mine if I was down where you are, rocks, pebbles, anything else, if I needed to, even rice husks, it's gonna decay anyhow, except for the rocks, but wood never hurt anything.
            Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 06-14-2018, 03:49 AM.

• freddyyola
            freddyyola commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah the only bad thing about wood chips is if its fresh would chip or not broken down yet itll absorb some nitrogen thats in your soil so if you have a lot of wood chips in your soil mix you might wanna add a bit of Nitrogen to it to compensate but after that your great to go because woodchips when broken down is greatttt for plants and trees cause they are more fungal then bacteria so it helps build mychorrhizae and more good stuff. woodchips for mulching is really good because itll keep the soil underneath really growing with microbes fungal and bacteria life itll keep it damp you wont have to water much if at all so farms use wood chips for mulch cause they get no rain or water and thats the only way there crops will survive and its great to have a strong mycorrhizae network and they thrive best in wood chips and roots just youtube/google back to eden method and you will see what i mean.

• Campesino
            Campesino commented
            Editing a comment
            The wood chips included in high quality soils like FFOF are properly composted.
            This is one of the easiest ways to visually tell the difference between high and low quality potting soil - whether the wood is composted.
            Wood chips even when composted will retain water - this is not always problematic, it is often beneficial - but if the issue is inadequate drainage, they should be avoided.

I agree that it is not worth the effort to pick out the small chips - Transplanting into soil that will drain better is the preferred solution

Aside from the potential soil issues Redwasp pointed out, they really look OK to me! The leaf showing the underside is a cotyledon and not a "true" leaf. Don't worry about those, just assess the serated leaves. Good growing.

Comment

Baphomatt ok thank you though the serrated Is suffering as well here Is another picture. I had a male that grew well in the same soil, perhaps Is drainage issue

Comment

• freddyyola
              freddyyola commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah bro im having the same issueshopefully i figure this bs out asap and get them healthy again... ill make sure to let yall know what it is if i get it fixed..

Hey 92, long time ago, we used cotton seed hulls, small rocks, small wood chips, and our plants did good.
            I even got a buddy that used fresh cat litter, a few times.
            And when your soil is compacted, you need to water real, real slow,
            I had a buddy that went to Peru, 3years in a row, back in the late 70s, he said he was looking for gold, and he even brought a good bit back home.
            But I think he went down there because of the pretty woman, he went to a place called Cuzco, or something like that, but he loved it down there, he said it was beautiful, But one day a native got after him with a long ,old shotgun, on the river, where they were vacuuming up gold, and he couldn't understand what he was saying, but it scared him so bad, he ain't been back.
            But I bet MJ, grows good down there, and good luck with your plants.
            PS, I think most all the soil that people buy has wood chips or prices of wood in it ,though.
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

• Redwasp
              Redwasp commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess i should have said ive never seen cannabis plants do well with just wood chips for drainage. But yes there are other things you can use. We used to use pea gravel mixed in to help. Leaves little pockets in the soil which helps it hold oxygen.

the 5th pic the biggest plant is actualy 6 weeks old and extra stunted like a mini dwarf plant... and the rest are 3 weeks old but they are all scraggly looking.. in the first pic the plant on the right is extra light lime green looking like its gonna turn yellow and they are to stressed to grow i get my ph pen in tomorrow im using ffof like the op is and i think we are having the same issues i also think i am having lock outs maybe calcium and nitrogen from overwatering cause i keep trying to feed it something i think i think its deficient in.. im letting air out good this time without drying it out to much.. this is my first grow but i do have 2 plants that are looking just fine nice darker green leaves tight nodes not much leaf damage at all

Comment

• freddyyola
              freddyyola commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah ive been trying to stick to water for the first few weeks of seedlings.. ill be more on the ph'd water for now starting tomorrow and ima give em all a transplant into a bigger pot with some fresh ffof,worm castings, and perlite and water til i see they need to be fed again..

• freddyyola
              freddyyola commented
              Editing a comment
              really ive only been giving them rain water, coco water, and aloe water, not much else.. well the older plants had some chicken manure and worm casting tea once. wanted to get the microbial life going in the soil and i made sure it wasnt enough to burn anything.

• freddyyola
              freddyyola commented
              Editing a comment
              dang i just transplanted the biggest ones into 1 gallon pots which is way roomy for them they were not root bound but my most stunted plant same age as the big ones i have in pics had barely any roots at all thats why it was so stunted and it was from over watering im 90 % sure! of it it wasnt being over fed nutes or having any deficiencies... i wish i would took pics of the roots i didnt even think about it though til i got here but ill start trying to take more pics..

freddyyola hey bud, ya I'm using natural dirt and compost not foxfarm i believe Redwasp Is using foxfarm though and I'm sure he can give you better pointers then i. But i Will update you if it's turns out to be a drainage issue.

D.A.A.S.69 yeah i believe i Will buy gravel to mix in, i do have handy alot of styrofoam i could grind up to pellets easily...but i dont know What adverse affects it could have. Either way I'll update the thread with What i do. We had like 3 days of rain and if it's not draining properly perhaps that Is my issue.
            ​​​​​​​ Ya I'm actually near Cuzco lower altitude, near Machu picchu. It Is gorgeous and so áre the women hahah. There are sativas that the people grow here incógnito that grows well. My doobiebird daydream Is from Colorado.

Comment

• Chefbjy
              Chefbjy commented
              Editing a comment
              Packing peanuts (styrofoam) can be used to help oxygenate the soil and improve drainage.

yeah i got yall mixed up i guess didnt realize so many people were having the same problems lol

Comment

i honostly might have root problems from over and under watering ima transplant all my bigger plants maybe all of em f i have the soil for it now im trying to keep em in small pots as long as possible so i can keep em ina big deep dish tray so i can tote them outside for full sun sometimes when the weather is nice...

Comment

Aged wood chips are not bad for the soil. Outside i use them everywhere. I use all kinds of organic matter outside. Grass clippings, leaves, my non meat organic matter from the house such as coffee grounds old vegetables etc. I have a compost pile and turn it frequently. Once aged and partially broken down it is like black gold. Outside I have more earth worms in my soil than you could imagine. You dont even need a shovel to turn my dirt. The worms keep the soil aerated and keep the drainage from becoming an issue. Inside i dont have worms to fix that for me so I add stuff to the soil to help do what worms do outside. Perlite if you have it works well. If you dont have it there are many things that will serve the same purpose. Use what you have and is available. As long as the roots get enough oxygen and you have decent drainage you will be fine.

Im seriously thinking about making my inside grows similar to outside and see what happens. By this i mean using living soil and having worms to do their jobs. I am going to at least give it a try becuase no matter how hard i try to imitate nature It is just no comparison.

Comment

• freddyyola
                  freddyyola commented
                  Editing a comment
                  oh yeah aged wood chips arent but fresher wood chips are they suck all the nitrogen up as they decompose but broken down aged wood chips that come from chips from a log gone through a wood chipper those type of chips composted/aged good are the best for plants/trees check out "garden of eden"!on youtube

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X