Whats wrong with my plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats wrong with my plants

Hey guys my first indoor Grow was ping well until a few days ago.
    I'm hoping it's overwatering, I've flushed the plants, pH is 6.3, using only floragrow fertilisers, Gorilla 4x4 Grow tent and a HLG 550 Led Grow light, temperatures are getting quite cold at night 50F, and used a 1/3 coco coir, 1/3 perlite and a 1/3 vermiculite as a Grow medium, strains are all from Seedsman 1x White Widow, 2x Critical Mass and 3x Mama Mia, any ideas of problem?

New growth looks very wrinkly, tips and edges of a couple of leaves are stressed, don't think they will die but want to solve problem before they get worse

Comment

Did you buffer your Coco?

Could be early Ca issues, but tough to say. What are you using as Cal Mag supplement. If answer is "nothing" then diagnosis is confirmed.

You cannot possibly over-water the mix you describe. In fact you should water it regularly and keep it wet. I'd recommend that you look at my Coco guide (link in signature).

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Campesino View Post
        Did you buffer your Coco?

Could be early Ca issues, but tough to say. What are you using as Cal Mag supplement. If answer is "nothing" then diagnosis is confirmed.

You cannot possibly over-water the mix you describe. In fact you should water it regularly and keep it wet. I'd recommend that you look at my Coco guide (link in signature).

Cheers
        Did see some stuff about Calmag and wondered if it would help, I should of also added that I also use FloraMicro in the same ratio as FloraGro, which meant the plants should of been getting the required Magnesium Calcium elements. The growing medium did have a 1/3 of vermiculite added, my way of thinking was it would retain some water and help regulate root temperature, but now am worried its contributed to the problem, will actually have a look at root system now and see if there's any rot, any other nutrient products you could reccomend in addition to Calmag, I threw $2000 at this to get it going, really want to make the best of it

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think the vermiculite is necessary, but I don't think it is a problem.
          Follow my guide and you will be happy with the results!

The problem is the Coco. The colloids in coco are naturally loaded with K cations. In the presence of Ca or Mg they give up the K and grab the Ca and Mg. The colloids in Coco, will steal all of the Ca and Mg from the nutrient solution and replace it with K. They will continue to do this until the Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) is satisfied.
          Two options:
          1. Overwhelm the nutrient solution with Ca and Mg so that there is some still available to the plant. Eventually the CEC will be satisfied and you can return to normal doses, like what is available in Micro (But probably won't get there this grow).
          2. Buffer new coco and transplant (Best Option).

Buffering is simply soaking Coco in Cal Mag water. Soaking, like in a bucket, not just "soaking wet". Doing it twice and soaking 6 hours each time, ensures a good buffer (satisfies the CEC).

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, re nutrients, I can recommend... But do you track EC/PPM? Are you willing to start?

To be honest I never buffered the Coco, I'd say going off how confident you are that is most likely my problem. Perlite and Coco is well supplied from my local garden shop. I live in rural NSW Australia with no Hydro shops nearby, so any specific products I buy are all bought online, taking about a week to get to me
        I'm prepared to repot the plants in buffered mix minus the vermiculite, given the nature of disturbing the root system to remove old Coco mix can you reccomend a product similar to Seasol that would reduce the stress when replanted, or can I use Seasol in Coco mix as well?
        My light has a dim marble feature so obviously will lower intensity to reduce transplant shock

Comment

Yeah, I am confident that you need to address Ca and the CEC of your Coco. 100%
          I recommend being gentle with the transplant. Yes, try to shake off excess coco, but don't strip it down to roots. You'll need go up a size and I recommend fabric pots if possible.
          I really would avoid vermiculite.
          I have no experience with Seasol, but don't immediately see why you couldn't use it if appropriate.

Since you asked, and since you may only order once...
          Products I recommend for an "advanced" Coco grow
          1. Fabric Pots
          2. SM-90 (not sure if you can even order this in AU)
          3. RapidStart
          4. Diamond Nectar
          5. Armor SI
          6. Florakleen
          7. KoolBloom
          8. An EC/PPM meter
          9. Read my guide!

Comment

• Campesino
            Campesino commented
            Editing a comment
            Obviously also... CALiMAGic

Cheers for the advice mate, am making a start on your guide as soon as I jump off EBay, will update thread in a week and let you know how I go

Comment

Today the plants have been repotted in a buffered mix luckily found in a local garden centre, the CaliMAgic is on ordered on EBay as well as a number of other items, the plants were watered in with 30mls of Floragro, 30mls Microgro and 20mls Seasol in 3.5 gal of pH 6.1 water, the intensity on my HLG 550 has been adjusted to the most dimmable intensity, will update progress throughout the week, plants had significantly grown 24hrs after previous post so that's a good sign

Comment

• Campesino
              Campesino commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, That's good Coco. Good job with the transplant
              What is "Microgro"? Do you have all three of the Flora Trio?

Comment

Yeah it'S one of the trio, I just assumed it contained the Micro- nutrients hence the name, I will update the plants day by day for the next week, after work I may even give them a light prune to remove damaged leaves and reduce transpiration, I was gentle but brutal in shaking off most of Coco around rootball, anyway will update everyday after I get home from work, hopefully plants have recovered in a week

Comment

• Campesino
                Campesino commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, there may be a little shock from the transplant, but if you didn't do real damage I'd expect them to get going within a couple days. They'll probably look better when you get home from work

Sorry Campesino it was Floramicro, still learning the name of my products...lol Greatly appreciate all your assistance and will be sure to approach you if I have anymore dramas 👍

Comment

• Campesino
                Campesino commented
                Editing a comment
                No worries. Always happy to help

Are you following a nutrient schedule? 30ml/3.5gal is a really high dose!
                My biggest advice is to start paying attention to EC. That will ward off many future problems and allow you to maximize your grow potential.
                Cheers

24hrs on and no obvious increases of stress or wilting to the plants, Campesino I've included a picture of the back of the Flora bottl which I was going off, the plants are 4 weeks old, happy for you to suggest a brief guide on feeding amount / frequency, you would have a better idea than me, I'm still experimenting

Comment

BundyBuds
                I have my nutrient feed chart in my guide. I always measure EC and adjust recipe to arrive at my EC target. If you have been feeding at full strength then it is almost certain that you are burning them with high EC.
                My biggest advice re nutrition and fertigation is to set EC goals and to measure and track EC. I explain all of this in my guide.
                Here is a PDF
                The relevant section begins on page 9
                Campesinos Guide to Growing in Coco 1-3a.pdf

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X