Rootbound in flower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rootbound in flower?

New here, on my second grow. Still learning as I go. I have three plants going right now that are about 3.5 weeks into flower. One is showing signs of nitrogen deficiency and/or root issues. Another is doing pretty good, but also has a little droop on the leaf tips. Here's the details...

4x4x80 tent
    50% coco 40% perlite 10% ffof
    400w hps, and 250w led
    6" duct fan w/carbon filter and 4" duct fan + booster w/carbon filter - all blowing out. 3 small fans for circulation in tent
    4 gallon mayo buckets with lots of holes drilled in them 1" of pebbles at the bottom for drainage/air
    nutes: 1/3 strength tiger bloom, 1/2 strength ff big bloom, full strength calmag/hydroguard/silica blast ph'd to ~5.8, plain ph'd water every other feeding
    water every 3 days +/-1 depending how dry they feel/look
    th seeds sage n sour, reserva privada sour diesel, and huckelberry from elemental seeds - all came as freebies and happened to be the ones that survived germination

The main problem is the Sour Diesel. The older leaves are very droopy, and show lots of yellowing on the lowest branches. I'd think it was N deficiency but there is no way she's not getting enough N in her food. I have never totally weened her off the veg nutes because I suspected N problems - but still more yellowing and droopy leaves. So I have to assume it's a root issue, likely space not ph though both possible. She kinda took off on me in veg, and is right around 3' tall and in a 4 gallon pot.

So I'm considering transplanting her into an 8 gallon smart pot... almost a month into flower. This strain is known to take 10-12 weeks to finish so she has lots of time, but I still am not sure if this is a good idea. I also have rocks in the bottom on the pot that may damage the roots during what will surely be a very sketchy transplant. Not really sure where to go, here's some pictures. (roll over pic for description)

Why arent you using the other ff nutrient grow Big? You should have been using that all along and not quit till 3-5 weeks before harvest. That has alot of nitrogen and could be your problem. Youve only got 4 or 5 more weeks, you should make it.

Comment

I used grow big during veg, and have weened to just tiger bloom in the past week. Started replacing grow big with tiger bloom a few days after switching to 12/12. There was no sign of yellowing on the lower leaves until a couple weeks ago. The leaves on the diesel have had drooping tips for a few weeks now. The diesel still has nearly two months left of flower as it has a 10-12 week flower.

Comment

I'm personally not seeing a problem. I say do what you're doing and drive on. I get some purple, yellow, and red leaves in late flower and it hasn't hurt yet. I'm averaging 1.5 oz of resin dripping buds a gallon ( I've been using #1 pots) in each container with 100% coco drain to waste. I'll start a grow journal now that I just got my set up going properly.
      you may be able to raise your lights to negate the nutrient movement from your lower leaves to the new growth. I personally can't because of height restrictions, so I run what I got.
      Last edited by Waltermelon; 03-16-2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I could probably put the hps up another 4 inches. The LED is as far up as it goes, but it's pointing at the shortest plant about 2.5-3' away (which is what the manufacturer recommends). I removed most of the really yellow stuff from the sour d (it fell right off) so the pictures may not show quite all of the issue I'm seeing. I really just hate seeing the leaves droop instead of stand at attention. I could very well be nitpicking and worried about nothing, so I'll just keep watching her for signs that the roots are getting worse, otherwise just push her through where she's at. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

New update. Nute burn still an issue w the sour diesel. Bad light pic included still pushing pistils like a mad hatter. Filling in nicely but still concerned about root issues. Could that be the reason behind the rapid yellowing? Dinafem sour d x 1

Comment

• Dutchman1
            Dutchman1 commented
            Editing a comment
            I really doubt its like root rot ( when you say root problem) . More likely a PH problem. Are you PHing the water as it comes out the bottom of the pot?. If not you should. Other than that, your getting close now so just try to cruise to the finish line....ha.

The sour d has 1 and 3/4 months to go from this point. This plant has been everything from ear to ear mad grin to hair pullingly deceptive. New tent pic included

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	188344
            Last edited by BroomsBrixler; 03-22-2018, 03:26 PM. Reason: ph up to 6.3 after short consideration

Comment

The entire garden
              Left back Huckkleberry
              Right back sour diesel
              Front sage and sour

Comment

The sour diesel pics finally

Comment

Huckkleberry

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0321181646.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	188491 Big huckleberry
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BroomsBrixler; 03-22-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman1
                      Dutchman1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks great.

Comment

Name:	0326181748a.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	191035 The ph increase to 6.5 has been incredible for the big girl sour d. Massive pistil production and trich production happening.

Comment

Name:	0405181225a.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	193111 Newest garden pic. All systems steaming ahead. Sage gonna be done shortly 3 wks or so. Huckleberry filling in like a boss. And the sour d.... Well She's gonna be huge. 1.5 months left
                        Last edited by BroomsBrixler; 04-05-2018, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X