No announcement yet.

Yellowing Panic! Iron deficiency???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Yellowing Panic! Iron deficiency???

First time here on forum. 3rd crop cycle grower. I'm a detail oriented guy so I hope this isn't too much information for most of you.

I suspect I have an iron deficiency in my plants and have been trying to fix it over past several weeks with no luck.

Grow Room

Size: 4x3x4

Lights: 11 on/ 13 off
    2x 300w Viparspectra LED and 1x 600w Viparspectra LED - all running on full veg/bloom (Heights - 11" and 17" respectively)
    750-800 μmoles at center under each light. Perimeter of room reading around 250-350 μmoles.
    (Using Hydrofarm Quantum Light Meter -- I'm not entirely sure of it's accuracy however.)

Temps: Day and Night 75-81 avrg.
    Humidity: 48-60%

Growing medium - coco-coir

Click image for larger version  Name:	room 1-17-18.jpg Views:	1 Size:	780.4 KB ID:	165063

Fertizlizer

GH Botanicals - Using Transition mix schedule currently
    Micro - 2.5 ml/gal
    Grow - 2.5 ml/gal
    Bloom - 2.5 ml/gal
    CalMAg - 2.5 ml/gal

Water is town aquifer and is not chlorinated.

Water and Fert ph'd to ~4.5 -5.0
    Runoff ph ~6.0
    (Using GH pH Indicator solution)

**Runoff ph has been running in the 6.5 range for much of the grow and I have been working to lower it. I did one heavy flush maybe 10 days ago. It has been moving slowly downward.

I have been alternating between watering and fertilizing with about 10% runoff for each.

Other Growing Info:

Have been exchanging air in room less than normal since I'm heating the room (heater in room) and trying to keep heating costs down a little. One 3.5" comp fan running at 50% speed. I've moved it to full speed yesterday thinking maybe plants are suffering from trying to grow hard in too little CO2. In the past I have run 2 comp fans for exhaust for heat control in summer, but each one is rated for 38 CFM so i expect one should be more than needed for exchange I think. Room has several comp. fans in it circulating air.

The I switched the cycle about 10 days ago (they were showing the symptoms before the switch) about 10 days ago or so and I think they are behind in showing flowers based on my previous grows.

Here are my recent grow records if that is helpful.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Grow Records 1.png Views:	1 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	165058

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grow Records 2.png Views:	1 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	165059

The Plants' symptoms:

Yesterday I watered them (No nutes save for CalMag) and today the symptoms are as bad as I have seen! Yikes!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ak47 1-17-18.JPG Views:	1 Size:	879.1 KB ID:	165064

Click image for larger version  Name:	herer n kush 1-17-18.JPG Views:	2 Size:	992.1 KB ID:	165066

Click image for larger version  Name:	skunks 1-17-18.JPG Views:	1 Size:	959.8 KB ID:	165067

New leaves and growing tips are fairly pale with the growing tips starting out almost white a some points. The yellowing starts near the base of the leaves and tapers as it moves outward, with the yellowing being being between the veins and ribs. The amount of yellowing has varied a little and seems to be reduced after I fertilize but starts to increase again, especially after a water day. The yellowing shows on all the growing shoots, even those lower in the canopy -- i.e. not under the strongest light amounts. As the leaves mature the color goes full green.

The AK 47 shows the most general pale color and that plant seems to want more nutes than the other varieties, but I haven't given it a different fert sched yet. I was waiting until I get a handle on the problem for all the plants first. (I had some trouble with the AK 47 in my last grow as well (different symptoms) so I think it's a bit more finicky than the other plants. I'm now beginning to think of it as my canary in the coal mine for problems.)

The White Widow auto seems to be doing fine but I think the buds are developing too slowly.

What I've been trying:

I originally thought it might be light burn and I lowered the light levels quite a bit (put 600w on bloom only and lower 300w veg amount and raised lights - intensity was around 400 μmoles in the center and only 200 at the edges.) The symptoms got a little better but the plants were stretching quite a bit from the lower light levels (more than I expected from just the light cycle change) and I no longer think it was light stress. I now think it is an iron deficiency. I suspect that under stronger lighting, the plants are growing faster and so the iron deficiency becomes a bigger problem then.

I have been adding more Micro in the water only days since it has iron but then I discovered that the CalMag has iron in it as well without as much N so I have been adding that to water days now only. I usually add some to the water only days but not always at 2.5 ml/gal. Now I'm going full 2.5 ml/gal.

I am just now wondering if I am not giving them enough nutes in general. I have been using this schedule which I think I found on GWE but I might have found it on another site?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	coco-coir-flora-series-schedule in ml.jpg Views:	1 Size:	560.4 KB ID:	165061

Looking around the forum I found this schedule which is a heavier nute loading (I'm feeding at less than the 1/4 str. on this chart!!)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	GH feeding sched from GWE post.jpg Views:	1 Size:	124.5 KB ID:	165062

This chart was from a DWC grow, but coco is supposed to be closer to hydro in nute needs I believe.

Last night in desperation I tried giving them a little CalMag foliar feeding - .2ml / pint and misted them heavily, but not dripping.

I have grown under the first chart above and my previous crop (exactly same plants - both crops from seed) did fine and even had a little nute burn at times. But that was during a different season (summer) so temps and humidity were different then. I figured that with my lowish humidity (it was in the 35% range at the start of the grow) I should expect nut burn since they go through water pretty quickly, but I haven't seen any burning at this point. I'm wondering if I should really up my nutes. I'm going to try fertilize 2x and then water. Should I go higher in my nutes?

Everything I read says they should have enough iron just from tap water and more than enough from the fert. I have suspected some lock out from too high pH for a coco grow and I've been trying to lower the pH for several weeks now. But the runoff is at 6.0 or so, so I think that should be in the o.k. range right? I've also read that an iron deficiency can stunt bud development so I have thought iron might be the problem with the buds not really forming yet -- though I acknowledge it's still a little early after the cycle change.

Looking for any help.
    Attached Files
    3rd Grow - Coco
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...crop-coco-grow

Lights should be 14 inches above canopy - as per manufacturer.
    Either flush them or leave them be and let them dry out.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Hey MadMike, those are some nice plants, looks like all they need is to be fed in the right ph range .Give them a good feeding at 6.0ph. Lots of people use cal-mag ever watering, even when using tap. They can't take the nutrients if it's not between 5.5-6.5. Good Luck ,those are nice plants.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck147 View Post
        I believe the manufacturers recommend 18-24". Viparspectra lists light intensities for their lights and they show μmoles at a 24" height. I'm a little close as it is right now.
        3rd Grow - Coco

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.A.S.69 View Post
          Hey MadMike, those are some nice plants, looks like all they need is to be fed in the right ph range .Give them a good feeding at 6.0ph. Lots of people use cal-mag ever watering, even when using tap. They can't take the nutrients if it's not between 5.5-6.5. Good Luck ,those are nice plants.
          I'm fertilizing them right now and the runoff is now 5.0. Whoah. Now I'm a little too low. Might explain why they look worse today. Sheesh... So today I'm giving them 6.0 with a little extra runoff to see how they look tomorrow. I'm cutting back on the gro part since the leaves look a solid green overall and I don't think they need more N.

But the symptoms haven't really gone away the whole time they were moving from 6.5 - 5.0 runoff pH. However, about 3-4 days ago it did look like it was on the mend. So maybe the problem was clearing up and then I just blew past the 6.0 pH range and now it's showing again.

Always learning. I'll be updating this post no matter what happens over the next several days.
          3rd Grow - Coco

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Try to keep it around 6.0 an you'll be fine.

Originally posted by Canuck147 View Post
          Hmm.. Looking at your post again I see you have a Viparspectra as well. That's reassuring on the light height for me. As my plants get taller they will still fall in within the 14" range. Helpful!
          I will flush them in 4 days or so if I don't see improvement. I've been hesitant since I don't want to strip out a micro nutrient it might be deficient in. *shrug*
          3rd Grow - Coco

Comment

I agree with D.A.A.S. most nutrients can not be uptaken by the plant in that range.
            ~UrbZ~ Grow Big or Go Home!
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-torpedo-seeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/185330-urbz-second-grow-journal-3-strain-grow

Comment

Based on your pictures I don't see any necrosis yet, There is interveinal chlorosis, and some of the veins are entirely yellow, so I agree with your diagnosis. Like most of the other members have mentioned, remember to have a good pH. I usually aim for 5.7. Also, although tap water does contain iron, it's useless unless its chelated. If you look at the ingredients in your nutes, there's usually something like iron-EDTA. EDTA is a chelator that makes iron bioavailable. However, chelators will break down when exposed to UV light, so keep your nutrient solution covered. If you want to buy a chelator in addition to cal-mag with iron, buy any product with humic acid. Humic acid is a natural chelator.

Comment

Originally posted by Therocketsurgeon View Post
                Based on your pictures I don't see any necrosis yet, There is interveinal chlorosis, and some of the veins are entirely yellow, so I agree with your diagnosis. Like most of the other members have mentioned, remember to have a good pH. I usually aim for 5.7. Also, although tap water does contain iron, it's useless unless its chelated. If you look at the ingredients in your nutes, there's usually something like iron-EDTA. EDTA is a chelator that makes iron bioavailable. However, chelators will break down when exposed to UV light, so keep your nutrient solution covered. If you want to buy a chelator in addition to cal-mag with iron, buy any product with humic acid. Humic acid is a natural chelator.
                I should have remembered the iron needs to be cheleated. I didn't know humic acid was a chelator however. That is really good info. Thanks! I'm going to move to get the pH into the 5.7 - 6.0 range and see what develops.
                3rd Grow - Coco

Comment

Originally posted by UrbZ View Post
                  I agree with D.A.A.S. most nutrients can not be uptaken by the plant in that range.
                  Thanks for corroborating DAAS. Appreciated.
                  3rd Grow - Coco

Comment

I feel ur pain as I to have issues w/ similar setup. I'll try and tell u what I've learned. ?#1 - any fungus knats ? Must eradicate. Mix some perlite into the coco. Ph- 5.8 is the sweet spot. Tds need to b monitored. This is the same as hydro. Nute lockout!!! Reduce your load!! Flush every 3-4 weeks. Check w/ me in a few weeks as l practice what I've learned. I would like to know how ur potency ended up as I paid dearly here too even though I ended up w/ some nice looking Erb it just doesn't pack the wollup it looked it would.

Comment

Just wanted to come back and update that things are looking much better now. I've been watering/fert at 6.5 - 6.8 pH and runoff today is at 5.5. Iron deficiency symptoms are almost completely cleared up. Yeah! Have some humic acid on the way but not sure how much to add. Will search the forum for info.
                      Updated photos after defoliation today.
                      3rd Grow - Coco

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                        D.A.A.S.69 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Glad they are looking better, MadMike.

• Therocketsurgeon
                        Therocketsurgeon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well done. Doesnt your humid acid product have instructions on it? Or the instructions might be on the company's website

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.
                      The humic acid is TeraVita SP-90. It says to mix 8oz to 1 gallon to make a concentrate. Then it says for soil drench, 1 oz/gal water. That sounds pretty strong to me. Right now I'm planning adding 1/8 tsp:4 gallons water to just make sure there isn't some crazy reaction - rapid nute burn or similar... Guess I better start a journal.
                      3rd Grow - Coco

Comment

• MadMike
                        MadMike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Did some math on their mix suggestion and it comes out at .0625 oz of humic in the water for the soil drench. So, not that much after all. Comes out to about 1/4 tsp./gallon. I'll try 1/4 tsp in 3 gallons and see...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X