Can this be saved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this be saved?

So I left my 'brood' with the roommate for a week, and come home to my biggest girl (Audrey) looking like the photo (I have a few better pics, but my camera isn't talking to my computer too well for some reason)

She was fine before I left; not 100%, but I was very close to finding out what and how to fix it (I was about to take a couple small cuttings to root and flower so I could get a baseline of how big this mystery stock will get).

Roomie--who is just as invested in this as I am--couldn't or wouldn't tell me exactly what happened. I fed everyone before I left and gave her watering instructions...nothing complicated, just water to runoff with PH'ed water (which I prepped and left in a couple gallon jugs by the grow tent). I suspect Audrey had some underlying problems I didn't know about and fell victim to being ignored (for some reason, roomie is scared of my grow light but doesn't think she needs eye protection) and underwatering or watering with plain tapwater (our water is very alkaline and in general not great for plants at all). A clone from my first plant (which still survives in veg despite a split main stem) is a bit leggy and needs some LST and cal-mag, but seems okay.

I mixed up some Bushdoctor Boomerang and have been using that for the past few waterings; I do see some new growth/decently healthy bits but should I leave it on the existing stalk/root system and remove everything else, or just cut my losses and start over from scratch (or try to root the decent growth)? I do have two more seeds left from this stock, and a better handle on what I'm doing.

My soil is leftover FFOF mixed with Black Gold; still have two cheap 24W (wall draw) LED grow lights. I do have a couple CFLs but am a bit hesitant because I still don't have a great airflow system set up.
    ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

I always name my best plant Audrey, just Like the one from "Little Shop of Horrors"

Comment

• WeirdWiredWolf
      WeirdWiredWolf commented
      Editing a comment
      That's where this name came from. Roomie named the other plant Arthur after the MAD avocado plant. Not sure what I'll name the clone if it survives this mess.

It could.. the bottom growth is okay just cut that thing in half an give it good watering with revive are seaweed kelp.......lotzz

Comment

From the one picture, looks like part of the plant is dead or not getting any sustenance.
      Either water it and hope for the best or, cut the dying parts off and continue with what you have.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Further questioning reveals that my timer did fail, so both the bigger plant and clone were in total darkness for at least a day but that alone shouldn't have done this. Clone's still okay so I'm leaning toward some bigger underlying issue with the large plant. Might as well cut off all the dead/dying bits and see what if anything I can save.

Hell of a setback, but probably just as well I'm not trying to flower a monster in a too-small tent.
        ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

Comment

I put all my girls in 36 hours darkness then go12/12 an my plants sprouts hairs within the week.. You're right24 his dark will not do nothing like this good luck! Bet it will be fine

Comment

Well I cut/pulled off about 50% of her original size in dead leaves, but I am seeing some new growth which is encouraging. The temps here (and overall wacky care schedule due to conflicting grow theories...this ain't a houseplant!) probably weren't helping much either...I'm leaning toward some other underlying problem. Oh well, at least these seeds were free (and I have no clue what strain they are...gonna be interesting).

Comment

I 'm not a hydro grower but could be that you have soil/growing -medium problems. you say you mixed left over FF with something else. I believe FF is

good stuff but your other growing medium may be amended. I mean has had chemicals added to achieve its potency. this may be causing an

imbalance with your nutes. you may even have a partial chemical lockout.

BIG flush. like at least half an hour under the hose. foliar spray with kelp (not on soil!). then wait. but realistically you'd be better off throwing all away

and starting again.

but I think where you really went wrong was starting with left-overs! Paradoxical!

cheers!
              Last edited by OzzieWizard; 01-08-2018, 08:51 PM. Reason: to alter text layout ... readability ...

Comment

UGH...yup, I now think mixing the soil was my big mistake...so much for trying to save money that way. Well, I am working with a less-than-ideal setup (space/airflow constraints) so it's a minor miracle things even got that far.

Interestingly, I mixed the soil leftovers from another dead clone in with one of our regular houseplants (some foliage plant we've had for...3 years) and that thing was always a tad sickly but now has started growing like crazy.

ETA: Ultimately I think the low humidity (~30%) was the culprit. Audrey's still putting out new growth, and Arthur (who hasn't been in the tent the past week) is a bit worse for wear but still kicking. I'm gonna scrub the tent down while I'm taking clones just to be safe. Roomie claims "I told you how to fix it two weeks ago" ...two problems. 1. I wasn't here two weeks ago and you agreed to be responsible for care and 2. if you knew how to mitigate the problem why didn't you do it? If I buy my next round of seeds I'm not letting her near them.

I took another clone from Audrey to see what happens (if I can dial this in I'm going to re-root all the healthy growth--now that she's almost bare I can see where my LST went horribly wrong). The water dish in the tent has brought RH up to ~45%; not ideal, but getting there until I can get a mini humidifier.
                Last edited by WeirdWiredWolf; 01-12-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X