Carbon Scrubber Smell Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Scrubber Smell Question

I have a 6 inch Ventech fan with a 6 x 16 iPower Carbon filter. The scrubbed air has a distinct sweet odor - strong but, not a weed smell. Is this to be expected or, is something not right? Filter and fan in the tent, in that order then, ducting out of the tent. There are no leaks. Air going in the tent through the built in screens. I have neg air pressure. I appreciate your feedback!
    3x3x5 Cheapo Tent; Viparspectra PAR450w LED; Hydrofarm DWC Bubbler; 4-in fan and carbon filter; 6-in fan; 4-in fan.

Hi OU812. I have the same exact carbon filter (although mine didn't come with the pre-filter...not sure if yours did) but I can tell you that at first, the air coming from my grow cabinet was 100% odor free! I first started using mine on July 5th and it's been filtering non-stop since then. Over the past 3 or 4 weeks as the buds have been developing and the smell as been intensifying, I have noticed the air coming out of the vent now smells mildly like cannabis. Basically, I don't think these carbon filters are that good. Granted this is the first one I have ever used, I can tell you from my own experience that I am not a fan of the iPower filters. I will most likely go with a better one next grow because it's almost as if there is no filter at all. I checked my connections and they are all tight with no leaks so either there are unseen leaks somewhere or the filter itself is not working like it should. I would say if it gets too bad you could add a second filter at the exit of your system to ensure the air coming out is filtered no matter what. I may end up trying that too just because I think that would work better than having it at the start of your vent system. Curious to see what other members say but as someone with the filter who is also having smell problems...I just wanted to share my experience.
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

• OU812
      OU812 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that! Yeah, the odor isn't of cannabis. It's kind of sweet smelling. I was hoping for ZERO odor. I'll have to splurge for the Phresh filter, I guess.

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear they are the best but I can't speak for them personally. Best of luck with it.

I got my carbon filter last on my line an l don't smell anything, but it ain't a month old yet. My last one lasted maybe 3 months before I could smell anything.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• OU812
      OU812 commented
      Editing a comment
      The sweet smell started immediately - this thing is brand new. It's stayed the same for the last month. Definitely going to upgrade. Thanks for the reply!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X