Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New indoor grower using coco and supersoil

PLEASE HELP!

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums as well as growing and I have a few concerns regarding my grow setup as well as some deficiency questions. I have been struggling to keep plants alive and I am sure someone will have insight as to what the problems are. I really should have come here sooner. I will list my gear and then my questions regarding it. Thank you in advance.

Veg room is 4x4x6 tent, 432 watt t5ho, 2x 6 inch clip fan and a 240 cfm booster fan. Flower room is 5x5x6, 1000w HPS cool tube w/ reflector, and 6" 440 cfm inline fan with carbon filter.
    Soil is Royal Gold coco for topsoil and super soil mix for nutrients. Super soil is 2/3 FF Ocean Forest and the rest Light Warrior but I mix in Royal gold because it still seems really heavy. I use RO water as well for feeding.

1. I added an image of 2 seedlings. I started them in Jiffy plugs then planted them in Fox Farms light warrior with peat pots. They are now in 1 gallon pots of Royal Gold without super soil and I was going to transplant them into 3 gallons. I thought the super soil might be too hot for them this young. Should I just put them into the 3 gallon with super soil?

2. The second and third pictures are of plants I've had for months that are barely hanging on. They were in light warrior with super soil but have been transplanted since into Royal Gold with super soil.
    A. I see the pink around the edges and from what I have researched that generally means there is a ph imbalance and lack of molybdenum. I have tested the ph of the soil and it seems to come out at 6.8 for the healthier one and 6 or so for other but the runoff water for the healthy one is about 6.5 and about 5 for the crunchy one. Do I just need to flush the both of them with triple the pot size of RO water? If I have the pot flat on the table without any tray for runoff will that create nutrient build up in the root bed?
    B. Can anyone help me save them?

3. This question is regarding ventilation. I thought the 2x 6 inch clip fans and the 240 cfm would keep it well ventilated in the room but I keep the temperature at 72*f which is perfect for me but the room will not get any cooler than 81*~f. Do I need to get a small inline booster fan for the bottom of the room? Possibly an oscillating fan instead of the 2x 6' fixed fans?

4. Will the 440 cfm fan with an oscillating fan be enough ventilation for the 5x5?
    Last edited by logical0; 09-03-2017, 04:42 PM.

Hey 10 are you in the USA ? You got problems an I think your soil might be it. Did you mix it up? What's in it? Many deficiencies, you did a good job training the big ones.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• logical0
      logical0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I am in the USA. Why do you ask? This is the recipe I used.
      Super soil
      6x FF Ocean Forest, 2x FF Light Warrior soil
      50 lbs of organic worm castings
      2.5 lbs steamed bone meal
      2.5 lbs fish bone meal
      5 lbs Bloom bat guano
      5 lbs blood meal
      3 cups rock phosphate/oyster shell
      3 cups kelp meal
      3 cups alfalfa meal
      ¾ cup epsom salts
      1 cup sweet lime (dolomite)
      2 cups azomite (trace elements)
      2 tbsp powdered humic acid

Hello logical0 and welcome! I am not much help on the coco part as I have never grown in that medium however many other people have on this forum so I imagine you will get some great info from them soon. I can, however, help you with a couple of the other questions you asked...

2.A. I would say you are on the right track with a possible molybdenum deficiency. Often this will look similar to a nitrogen deficiency and that was my initial thought looking at your photos. If it is a molybdenum deficiency, here is a page all about how to fix that: http://www.growweedeasy.com/molybden...iency-cannabis

While searching the site, I noticed a page all about coco nutrients that may also help you. There is a lot of good information on the page regarding what to use and what to avoid using. That page can be found here: http://www.growweedeasy.com/best-coc...ients-cannabis

On that page, there is mention of supplementing molybdenum, especially if using RO water:
    "Additionally, coco nutrients should always include....
    • Magnesium
    • Calcium
    • Iron
    • Sulfur
    Nice but not necessary micro-nutrients (contained in most water sources, but if using RO or very soft water you want these in your nutrients to prevent possible deficiencies)
    • Boron
    • Cobalt
    • Copper
    • Manganese
    • Molybdenum
    • Zinc
    3. I was also having issues with temperatures and I ended up installing an inline booster fan and it helped cut the temps down quite a bit more than with just one main fan. I have 2 6-inch clip fans as well as a 9-inch vortex fan blowing air around in my cabinet and the temps stay around 77ºF to 81ºF and the plants like it. I also have a evaporative cooler blowing on my cabinet because it's in a garage and the temperatures get up to 90ºF during the days right now. With that cooler running, and my fan setup inside, the cabinet stays cool enough for the plants. I am using a 440CFM main exhaust fain with a 230CFM booster. You also want to make sure your air is being pulled out of the cabinet from up top, not down low! I started my plants out with the carbon filter down on the floor and that caused my temps to be over 10ºF WARMER than simply moving it up above the light.

4. 440CFM should be adequate for your space. The area you mention is 5-foot x 5-foot x 6-foot which is only 150 cubic feet. That fan is rated at 440CFM meaning it could clear the grow room ~3x per minute which is great.

As for the first question, I imagine someone who has more experience in coco can help you with that but I would say you should start baby plants off in the mildest medium you can and move up from there. No nutrients until they get going seems to be the best way to grow.

Best of luck with everything and again, welcome!
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

Because where I live several stores sell soil that they call super or organic cause it says so on the bag and it's nothin but regular ole commercial soil. I use KindSoil and FFOF . The FFOF has enough nutrients for seedlings to last about a month. And it's in the top half of my SmartPot. The KindSoil is in the bottom half and it has enough nutrients to last the whole grow. Your mixture looks like it's pretty close but still looks to me like it's missing nutrients. Your young plants need cal-mag , how old are they? Your larger plants , how old are they ? look like they have used all the nutrients up. Good luck.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X