Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DW2's HERMIE SEED TEST

GROW #6 - HERMIE SEED TEST

This test is to see if the seeds produced from a 'hermied' plant, in particular, a plant with the 'nanner' form of hermorfaditic trait, produces female or 'feminized' seeds. The hermied seed used all came from plant number III harvested on 7/27/2016. The seeds were selected at random, irregardless to their color or shape. The weeks are listed as the begginning of the week and are in this format 'grow week / bloom week' and the dates are month / day and are all 2017.

5/04 wk 0/0 Started 10 seeds on paper towel in pH 5.0 water, covered with plastic wrap and aluminum foil in a foil pan.

5/06 wk1/0 Only 5 seeds sprouted. Placed sprouts in R1, locations I, II, III, V, and VI. Start five more seeds in pan.

5/08 wk1/0 Only 1 seed sprouted. Placed sprout in R2, location IIX.

6 seeds out of 15 seeds is a germination rate of 40%.

5/14 wk1/0 Moved plants I and VI from R1 to R2 locations XI and VII, respectively to ballance number of plants in each reservoir.

5/27 wk3/0 Start 12/12 light scheduale.

Interum Feed, drain, repeat, etc.

6/14 wk6/3 1st pistils showing on plants III and V in R1.

6/22 wk6/3 1st pistils showing on plant XI in R2.

6/23 wk6/3 1st pistils showing on plant II in R1, and on plant VII in R2.

6/24 wk7/4 1st pistils showing on plant IIX in R2. All six plants are showing femal traits!

7/08 wk9/6 Plant IIX in R2 showing some wilt on stems after feed change!

7/10 Plant IIX in R2 dead! Remove. Others (VII and XI) OK. Plant II in R1 showing some wilt as well.

7/15 wk10/7 Found light leaks in both reservoirs, fixed leaks, and drain and feed.

7/19 Plant II in R1 still wilting. Found air stones 'root bound', replaced air stones in reservoirs.

7/20 Plant II dead in R1, remove. Plants III and V still showing some drooping leaves, but ok.

8/05 wk13/10 Plants V in R1 and XI in R2 not looking good, many wilted stems

8/09 Plant XI in R2 dead, remove, VII doing ok.

08/12 wk14/11 Both plants in R1 wilting worse, drain and try a flush to try to clear up the wilting.

08/15 No improvement in plants III and V. Harvest both plants.

08/19 wk15/12 Plant VII in R2 still growing and building buds. Waiting for some cloudy tricomes!

Plant II's yeild was such a small amount that it was placed in the 'trim' bag for future DIH (total of 120.7 g with all other trim). Plant XI (premature) yielded 27.1 g of bud, plant V yeilded 7.2 g of bud and three seeds (so far), plant III yeilded 72.8 g of bud. Plant VII is still building buds (as of 8/20).

DW2
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Woops! forgot, NebulaHaze , Green75 , alltatup, D.A.A.S.69 .S.69, Aloner, Tika. I forgot to put the 'tags' in at the beginning of the post.
    Last edited by DW2; 08-20-2017, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      So they were all female!

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, they all (of the ones that sprouted) showed pistils. I believe that the poor germination rate was due to using some seeds that did not look fully mature. I just selected random seeds with out conditions, I think that I would have had better germination if I had been selective with the seed candidates. Also I forgot to mention, that I did not do any training on the plants. That was a mistake! I thought that since they were small when I switched them to flower that they (9 to 12 inches tall) would not grow too tall. Only one plant stayed below 48", the others grew past the lamps (when the lamps were at maximum height),over 70 inches!

Something I read at some point, lol, suggested that when a plant get's stressed and hermies the seeds will be particularly suceptable to going herman under the same type of stress. The idea was that DNA "orders" were unlocked and the seeds will carry those activated "orders"

Supposedly this accounts for feminized seeds not being the majority herm. The stress is an unnatural condition that is unlikely to happen in the avg. grow space.

If any of that is true then in theory you could effectively breed many causes, if not totally out at least to a much reduced degree, of hermie reactions to certain stresses.

Again no idea if or how true, it was just "science-y" that it could be totally true or complete bullshit, lol. But reading your thread brought it to mind.
    The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
    Water Curing Experiment
    My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, I used to know a guy--Herman Afrodite.

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      GanjaGed, That makes sense now that You explained (I have to have a LOT of things explained to me any more! LOL). And alltatup, that sounds like the name of an 'alternative' type of stripper name, what kind of places have You been hanging out at? LOL!!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      DW2 I been hangin out at a very cool gentlewoman's club: Can I Bus a Move.

Also....you might reconsider your germination process Many respected folk germinate that way but I see it as an exposure to unnecessary accidents.
    I gather that a Herm seed will herm again or likely too no matter stress or not . Haven't tested it out tho . AND plant training is near impossible to avoid indoors. I have one plant outdoors now that was trained/ topped indoors in veg. I cut all her training wires when i transplanted her into Roots Organic bag. She is growing like a weed and it is fun to watch ( although I have little hope she'll make it thru bugs or bud rot).
    love your record keeping!
    I knew a guy named Harry Balls...
    Duh
    Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
    Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
    GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
    photoperiod feminized seeds
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank You Tika, I appreciate Your (as well as every one else's) input and suggestions. AHMEN !! to the training, I usually LST my plants, but did not for this test grow. I thought that starting the bloom as early as three weeks would help keep the plants relatively shorter than past grows. Jeeze, was I wrong! Can You be more specific about the germination, the reason that I do it that way (besides that I have had good results in the past) is that I can see the progress of the germination, instead of it 'hidden' away inside a plug or cube. I know that I run an additional risk handling the sprouts by placing them into the cubes, but I have only had a few die off after moving them.
      I tried not to bore everyone with too many details. I keep a log of date, time, air temperature, relative humidity, water temperature (both reservoirs), when the ice bottles are changed, water pH, and any other operations done during the grow. I know that all of this sounds kind of anal retentive, but I have found out ,over the years, that good, accurate records, are necessary towards making good decisions. I just wish that I had 1/10th of the organizational ability that YOU have!
      Thanks again.

alltatup , If I was a betting person, "I bet You can!"

Comment

Update! 10/14/2017, finally harvested plant number VII. After 23 weeks growing (20 weeks in bloom) plant VII (the last of the test plants) was chopped down and hung up to dry. I do not have a weight at this time, but it appears that it is going to be a decent yield. I will post a couple of photos later when I get the final weight and get the buds in the jars. This plant showed several 'nanners' on it, so I am expecting to find some seeds. Plant number V (harvested about two months ago on 8/15/2017) has already produced three seeds (so far).

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        20 weeks in bloom!!! You beat my Purple Haze x Malawi, which made it through 19 weeks.

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        alltatup, The other plants that I took back in August were due to their showing signs of dying (wilting and drooping leaves) after a bad brown algae bloom (I forgot to check the air stones, they got bound up in the roots!). The 'mother' plant that the hermied seeds came from took a total of 21 weeks (six of which were vegetative time), so I was expecting it to take a while, but not as long as it worked out to be. I thought that a shorter veg time, without cutting or training would lead to a shorter growth cycle, but I guess that the genetics of the seed determines the time frame regardless of what we do. The decision to 'not train' the plants was a mistake, this plant grew up around and over the lights! I had buds growing above the lights!

Howdy, Here are the results (weight wise) from the harvesting of the last plant (VII) of the test. The humidity here has been very low and I got the buds into the jars today. Bud weight, 166.4 g or 5.871 oz.
      This is the largest (single plant) yield to date. The extra eight weeks made a great difference!
      I am going to try some more of the hermied seeds (from a different plant, same grow), but this time, there will be LST training and a longer grow period (6 weeks instead of only 3 weeks).
      The conclusion, that I draw from this test, is that the nanners on the female plant is not a reason to chop one down, it only provides a source of feminized seeds. (now that I said that, the next test might prove Me wrong, and be all boys!)

Comment

• NebulaHaze
        NebulaHaze commented
        Editing a comment
        Great test, and thanks for updating us with the results!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X