Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaves yellowing from bottom up and dying (outdoor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Leaves yellowing from bottom up and dying (outdoor)

Hey everyone, happy to accepted into this forum and eager to meet some new passionate growers. Unfortunately I need some help. I think I have a small problem and I'm pretty clueless about it. So, about a month ago I found some seeds in some of my bud and decided to germinate them. As a complete newbie to growing any kind of plant besides middle school experiment , I was not expecting them to even grow their first root. To my surprise, they did grow and I popped them into some soil let them do their thing. So a month later only one plant made it to the seedling stage and is now in vegetative state I think. To make a long story short, my plant is now only about 6 inches and it's leaves are starting to yellow from the bottom up. The first leaves after the cotyledons, became yellow, died, and fell. Now the second set of leaves is becoming yellow with very minor brown tip. Other than that, the rest of the plant is growing well. BTW I am using Distilled water and some miracle gro which I know sucks, but all I can afford for now. I sometimes use tap water which I measured to be around 6.6 ph. My soil is generic soil form a local floral shop. I would really be grateful for any tips or help, diagnosis, etc. I'm a complete newb. Thank you

Hey! I'm about as new as you are so I'll leave this to the experts, who I'm sure will come along shortly. But it could be a nitrogen deficiency. I'm having the same issue (on a larger scale, unfortunately) so I'm interested in what the elders have to say. Your gal looks really nice, otherwise! Good luck and welcome!
    Started 1st grow 4/28/17
    3x3 Apollo tent
    600w MH/HPS
    Fox Farms Ocean Forest potting soil
    Fox Farm nutes
    White Widow x 2 and Papaya x 2

Comment

• Nicholas
      Nicholas commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there RubySlippers, thanks for the welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you're having the same problem! If I find out the problem I will update, maybe It could help. Thank you for the compliment, I hope our babies get well! Time will tell I guess. Good luck!!

You shouldn't worry at all. The plant is using the nitrogen in those older leaves but it doesn't necessarily mean you have a deficiency. Those first sets of leaves curl up and die naturally. It is a sign that the plant its growing. It looks really healthy and happy. I wouldn't change anything for now

Comment

• Nicholas
      Nicholas commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there! I think you're right. As of now, the yellowing seems to be slowing down and not reaching the new leaves. Hopefully, she stays this way, thank you for the help!! I will leave her be for now.

🌱 The only leaves that I can see that turned yellow are the first and second set of leaves (single finger, and 3-finger leaves). The non-adult leaves don't usually stick around forever and overall your plant looks absolutely gorgeous. So I don't think there's a whole lot to worry about yet.

Have you been checking the pH? It looks a little like a potassium deficiency, and the pH being too high or too low is the most common reason for a nutrient deficiency. If you're in good soil you likely don't need to add any nutrients for at least 3-4 weeks since there is plenty of nutrients in the soil for now, but the pH can still cause deficiencies.

How often have you been watering? Over or underwatering can also trigger symptoms that look like deficiencies.

In any case, a very beautiful plant! 🌱
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

• Nicholas
      Nicholas commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey! First off, thank you for your compliments!! Really motivating! At first, I thought she looked alright, but now I can be assured that she is at least not sick. Unfortunately, I don't have a ph meter/pen or anything to check the soil but I will def get one now. The soil is a generic brand, the label says it is made of up peat moss, perlite, compost, dolomite and wetting agent. I usually water whenever the first top inch if the soil feels dry, don't know if that's right.

The rain recently came down hard on her while I was away and the soil was a little soaked. It didn't seem to droop much but the yellowing slowed down. I think I need to fix my watering schedule since I don't have set days. Right now the second set of leaves are twisted, yellow/brown and pretty much dead I believe. The yellowing hasn't reach the adult leaves. Anyhow, Thank you so much for the help and your compliments!! I will update if anything changes and when I get the ph meter.

Like 9finger said--I wouldnt worry about it-- it's a nice looking plant-- if it continues moving up the plant I would question whether you are over watering-- it looks like the soil is packed pretty tight so it might not be drying out enough before you water again. I would take a pencil and poke about 5 -6 holes in the soil around the plant to allow air in and to help it dry better between waterings.-poke them all the way to the bottom of the pot - just a thought

Comment

• Nicholas
      Nicholas commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey friend!, Yea the soil is very dense! I need to change my watering practices and see if that helps any! I really just water when the first inch of the top soil is dry. Thank you for the tip! That sounds wise. I will do that right now actually. Thanks. I'll update if anything changes.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X