Burnt leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Burnt leaves

My plant is in flowering stage, day 42. I just got a new vipar spectra light about 2 weeks ago. I PH my water to 7.0 and water her twice a week.
    My leaves are doing this weird turning. I can't particularly match it to what I've seen on Google.
    Any ideas? http://imgur.com/a/2lLJI

I can't say but have you checked the GWE Plant Doctor?

Your pH is on the upper edge of acceptable -- what's your growing medium? It could be causing nutrient lock-out.
    My first grow

Comment

Miracle-Gro Nature's care Organic bed soil

Comment

• Aloner
        Aloner commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the kind without time-release nutes, yeah? I realize I worded my question poorly, I was thinking the pH could be causing lock-out. Growing in soil you want to be between 6 and 7 -- if you look at this chart, it shows that watering at 7 leaves very little room for error. I think it's better to shoot for the neighborhood of 6.2. Even then, it's a good idea to let that number drift a bit (i.e. one watering at 6.2, the next time at 6.5, etc.) to help make sure your plant soaks up as wide a range of nutrients as possible.

Not saying that pH is the problem, just that it could be the culprit. Also, note that I'm only on my first grow. I'm sure someone with more experience will be along with helpful information. Good luck!

• berrypilot
        berrypilot commented
        Editing a comment
        🌱 I've never grown with it myself, but I have heard that it's common for cannabis growers to run into problems with Miracle Gro soil for some reason, especially if it has slow release nutrients or "moisture crystals" 🌱

• Aloner
        Aloner commented
        Editing a comment
        I know GWE is strongly against using it. In this tutorial, they mention the Organic Potting Mix (not sure how different that is from the Bed Soil) doesn't have the time-release nutes but even then they recommend against it due to poor drainage.

Thanks for the info. Good luck with your first grow. I think I might lower my PH and see how that goes.
      Last edited by Smokehoss1; 07-05-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

🌱 Is it happening most to the lights that are close to the new grow light? If so, maybe the light is a little too close and they're suffering from light burn? I know Vipar Spectra lights are really powerful and I believe it's recommended they be kept 24" away from the tops of plants.

Additionally, cannabis plants like the soil/water to be a little acidic. So instead of PHing to 7, it might be helpful to PH a little lower. Everyone agrees it's good to keep it between 6-7 in soil. Now I am not a soil expert, I've only grown in coco/hydro up to now, but I'm growing in soil for the first time right now, and I've heard they actually do best at pH 6-6.5 in soil. That's what I've been doing and it seems to be working really good for me at least

It's also a good idea to check the pH of the runoff water to see if it's a lot higher or lower than the water you put in. If you're putting it in at 7 and it's coming out at 8 pH you know there's something going on with pH in the soil! 🌱
        (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

• Smokehoss1
          Smokehoss1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, this helps a lot. I'll check that.

This is what I'm taking about.

Comment

🌱 To me that looks a lot like either light burn or a potassium deficiency (which is usually caused by pH). So definitely I would consider raising the light to 24" away and possibly lowering the pH a little to see if the symptoms stop spreading.🌱

Comment

• Smokehoss1
            Smokehoss1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok great, thank you. I thought that might have been the problem. The pattern of the damage didn't match any of the deficiencies I was looking at.
            I just flushed her 3 days ago. Do you think the PH test would be accurate if I flushed her again?

🌱 I don't think you need to flush again. Just water with the correct pH the next time you water, and test the pH of the water coming out the bottom. To be honest, I really think it's light burn since it happened right after you added the light. How far away is the LED panel from the top of your plants? 🌱

Comment

I have the led light about 18" away.

Comment

🌱 Vipar Spectra recommends keeping their LEDs 24" away from the top of your plants, so maybe try moving it up 6" and see if that helps? You're keeping it 25% closer than recommended 🌱

Comment

Great informational help berrypilot . I did move my light up, like around 31" above her, and the light is still pretty strong . I hope she bounce back🌲 she to beautiful to wither away🍃

Comment

• berrypilot
                  berrypilot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  🌱 Keep us posted! 🌱

So I go and check on her and the leaves that had small burnt spots on it has expanded to where the leaf looks almost dead. So I wanted to know if that's supposed to happen as its process of being burnt if not somebody give me a heads up on what I should be looking into to make it stop.

Comment

Here is a picture of her burnt spots

Comment

Something else going on berrypilot
                    Last edited by Smokehoss1; 07-09-2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I water her this morning I PH the water to 6. 36 then I PH the runoff and it went up to 6.97....smdh so while I was checking I see a few lil really small worms in the dam water runoff, I've never seen anything like that before so I don't know if I should go on with this one or should I continue on with growth.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X