Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alltatup's 3rd Grow - 400W MH/HPS - DWC - Ace Purp Haze x Malawi - 7.6 oz Harvest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alltatup's 3rd Grow - 400W MH/HPS - DWC - Ace Purp Haze x Malawi - 7.6 oz Harvest

~~~

Name of Strain: Ace Seeds Purple Haze x Malawi
    Growing Medium: DWC
    Grow Lights: MH and HPS 400w
    Start Date & Harvest Date: Germination Feb. 28, Harvest July 28-Aug. 6.
    Final Yield: 7.6 oz. & dry ice hash

~~~

I got my third grow on last week. All five of the seeds germinated perfectly.

I used Root Riots, put them in my germ. tray upside down, opened them gently, inserted seed (no pre-soak), set the germination pad around 84 degrees and left em alone. They started poppin around day 4. I moved them immediately under the lights in my grow box, still in the tray, until I saw roots emerging. I put the Root Riots in pH-balanced rock wool, into net pots, put plain pH-balanced H2O in the res with airstones bubbling away.

They are growing vigorously: the first to pop is already showing second set of leaves. I am hand-watering with an obsessively mild solution of nutes: I know that this sativa hybrid does not like much nute in her water.

Second grow is curing nicely: did have a smokeout in the dungeon with some friends over the weekend with some of the Liberty Haze (dried to 61%, cured for around 8 days) and the Goulash Hash I made: combo of the sugar leaves and larfy buds from LH, Chemdawg, Gold Leaf and Pine. Chunk. My homies loved it. I loved it. Being a cannabis outlaw farmer is goooooooooooood.
    week 2 seedlettes
    Last edited by NebulaHaze; 08-10-2017, 04:01 PM. Reason: Wow, incredible grow journal alltatup!

• Cannabliss
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for all the info/link alltatup. The parts about the difference between Indica/Sativa trichome harvesting was really interesting. I only grew Indica dominant strains. Will be growing a Sativa dominant strain soon, so this info. really helps.

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    NebulaHaze thanks!!! I combed through various grow journals to see how folks achieved success...

Cannabliss Growing landrace sativas is a tricky business from what I've read. One person says pull early, another person says pull late; who knows!!!! Toward the end of this grow--and she was 18 weeks in flower--she did start throwing up a bunch of new buds and pistils, which left me stumped. Most of the pistils were brown and many were falling off when I harvested her. The high is good, but not as Ace Seeds describes it.

She was also a very finicky eater, and I did get some nitrogen toxicity in flower. I didn't really have enough knowledge or experience to grow the strain, but I was stubborn and went ahead with it anyway. My homies really like it: good day-time, cerebral and clear-headed high; not psychadelic.

Check out the page Nebula posted on growing sativas: http://www.growweedeasy.com/guide-to...trains-indoors

• NebulaHaze
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, great information alltatup!

• Cannabliss
    commented on 's reply
    alltatup Just read it and I can understand where all the confusion would stem from lol. Is this for just this strain or there are others like it?

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    Cannabliss This was what I never got straight or clear on. Here are some of the notes I put together from other growers' experiences growing Ace Seeds landrace sativas, and you're going to see a lot of comments that contradict other comments. It's all kind of still a mystery to me, but I'm going to get quite a few more grows under my belt before I try a landrace sativa again!!!

Trichomes: The sativas' trichomes don't get milky (white) and opaque, they slowly become less and less transparent and yellow. This might be a good way to distinguish between hybrids, as the ones with only a pinch of indica usually preserve this sativa resin behaviour.
    My standard is to take it when I see any opaque amber at all. If it turns out good, I can fine tune harvest time from there to see if I can improve it.

Pistils: Simple answer: when sativas stop pushing new white hairs altogether, its time to kill them. If you pull it before, it will make the high racier.
    Long answer: My triches never brown out (or barely) and I run things overly long on purpose - it makes the effect last longer and it's not as racy. If you associate raciness with sativas, you will want to pull them earlier. The tradeoff is the high doesn't have legs if you pull plants too early as you've seen.

I once read about african sativas and how they were generally terrifying, but got really heart pounding intense when they were left for dead (no white hairs left) and were more speedy and less scary when they were picked earlier. The author said that from that day on, he always let em run till they were basically dead.

Sativas: In my experience, this has been true of every line I've smoked. If you wait for full calyx development the high is always more intense and lasts longer. I would wager that your "flat" plants which went longer are either a product of environment or genetics, but like I said, if you expect racy and you get dreamy or psychedelic - you'll think you're ruining them.

With Indicas and also plants with some Indica in them, I like to leave as long as possible, they almost all just seem to get better, but with pure Sativas, such as ACE/Cannabiogen strains, the effects seem to build up far earlier; early Indicas are rubbish, early Sativas are frequently surprisingly good.*

The problem with looking for brown trics is where do you look? A sativa has flowers in so many cycles that you can be looking at a fresh spot instead of an old flower.*

Pure sativas, even when pistils are brown , still swell her calixs, and still produce terpenes, flavor , and cannabinnoids.... usually when sativas look ready you should let them go another 1 or 2 weeks for them to fatten up and grease up.*

So the bottom line seems to be take samples early and often throughout the flowering and smoke them to find the sweet spot. Among the data I've started tracking for this I think the most important is how long the affect lasts for with the same three tokes of the same sample size in my mini-bong, short legs are clearly a sign of it being too immature, anything that makes me want to re-toke in under an hour is too weak still to be worthwhile I think.

Keep an eye on tricomes, eaven when they don´t turn amber if they start to break and fall off, means your plant is passing its maturaty point.

Triches: I remember reading somewhere that the proper way to judge trichome maturity is not by color but by how "plump" they look. The theory is that when they are fully mature they are at their plumpest and after that they will start to sag over sideways and deflate.**

Sativas/sat dom have a larger window for harvest and usually have secondary bud growth. You have a few different waves of new growth. You can have a harvest widow of over a month with some sativas and that leaves plenty of time for new growth. I have yet to follow breeders instructions on when to harvest. You never know if they mean 8 weeks after they begin to flower, or 8 weeks after switching to 12/12.

Pistils: The last burst of hairs usually tells me to get the scope ready, because there is usually 1-3 weeks left. i see it on every plant i have ever grown and i do believe that it is a last ditch attempt to make seed.
    Fox tails: i don't know that temperature causes fox tails, being that my winter grows are a little colder than the summer and i get fox tails year round with sativa plants. from what i have read here in the past, sativa plants normally fox tail.

• Cannabliss
    commented on 's reply
    alltatup That's really interesting concerning the trichomes. Are certain strains like that where they don't turn milky or cloudy? How can one tell when to harvest with strains like this?

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    Cannabliss Thanks!!!! Man, I look back on that grow now and all I can say is thank the cannabis gods that it's over!! I have more of those seeds and at some point in the future, I'll try again with a properly manifolded plant. Growing a landrace like that was a real challenge, and I did ok, but next time I'll do a lot better.

It smells great now and produces a good high, but instead of being super psychoactive, it IS a head high, but it's not "psychadelic". I kept waiting for the triches to go milky, and they just don't behave like indica or hybrid triches...

• Cannabliss
    commented on 's reply
    Hey wow, nice looking buds alltatup! Just now saw your grow log. Great work my friend.

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    Here's grow number 5 in the big grow box:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ced-grapefruit

And I"m going to experiment with doing a single-cola per plant grow in my small box. I finally chose my strains today (been wrestling back and forth for weeks, trying to find compatible strains): Cinderella99 by G13 Labs (just grew one; I want some more!); Amnesia Lemon by Barney's Farm; and Diamond Cookies by Moxie.

• GreenArmadillo
    commented on 's reply
    So what's your next strain lunchbox looking like?

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    7.6 oz plus the hash. The high is very cerebral, but very calm for me. No roller coaster effect, just my mind calmly surfing a long, long wave. It's real relaxing in the evening.

As I reflect back, I wonder if I over shot it a bit, because it's not psychadelic at this point at all. A very relaxing high, but not couchlock.

It can be hard to tell about the trichomes on a sativa, I have certainly learned that. They don't behave like the hybrids at all. In any way.

• GreenArmadillo
    commented on 's reply
    How kray kray is the high from your highly demanding 16 week baby?
    What did the worlds toughest sativa genetics yield? :grin:

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    ARMADILLO!!!!! So good to hear from you!!! Yes, sativas are definitely my thang.

• GreenArmadillo
    commented on 's reply
    Thats ridiculous! :wow: :amazing: :so_jelly:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X