No announcement yet.

Alltatup's Hydroponic Grow Journal - 400W MH/HPS - Multiple Cannabis Strains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alltatup's Hydroponic Grow Journal - 400W MH/HPS - Multiple Cannabis Strains

~~~~

Strains (all had 9-week flowering period.)
    • HSO Chemdawg Fem,
    • BF Pineapple Chunk Fem,
    • BF Liberty Haze Fem,
    • ILGM Gold Leaf Fem
    • CaliCon Green Crack (grew pollen sacs and was removed)
    Hydroponic grow in a BCNL RoomMate

Grow Light: 400 watt MH & 400 watt HPS

Timeline:
    • Germination started Nov 5, 2016
    • Harvested end of February, 2017

~~~~

I have 4 plants growing inside my 28" x 28" grow box; on my second grow. Last week I had some root rot: this was after adding Voodoo Juice, but I didn't realize that the reservoir needed a good cleaning. I drained it and cleaned out all the residue with paper towels, filled it back up with week 2 nutrients and Hydroguard. I ordered a new bottle of Hydroguard because the one I have has been open for around 5 months (stored in the refrigerator)... Just to be on the safe side...

I think the root rot has stopped--I don't smell any funk or feel slime--, but some of the roots still emerging on a couple of the plants shrivel up long before they hit the reservoir.

Not enough oxygen? I have four 12" Marina air stones in the reservoir, and some seem to produce more bubbles than the others. Any suggestions on better bubblers???

Too warm in the reservoir? It's around 75-77 degrees in the water; I don't have a chiller, but I am going to put a frozen water bottle in there.
    Last edited by NebulaHaze; 05-05-2017, 06:42 PM. Reason: Added details about grow journal
    I'm gonna take my horse down to Old Town Road....

4/15/19 Grow #10: In Box # 1: Green Crack (Cali Con), Lithium OG Kush (Nirvana), OG Kush (RQS), & BadAzz Kush (BF);
    In Box # 2: C99 (G13 Labs), White Widow (DP), Iced Grapefruit (Female Sds), & Shiva Skunk (Sensi).

2 BCNL Roommate hydro boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs & attached chillers.

Future Harvest nutes

Hey man,

I keep my reservoir chilled to 19c using a Hailea HC-100A and haven't had to use Hydroguard nor have I experienced root rot.

There is a good guide on DWC Grows which covers water temps.

For aeration I'm using a "Norres Fine Bubble Polyurethane Air Diffuser Tube" coupled to an "HIBLOW XP80 Air Pump".

I haven't got a DO (Dissolved Oxygen) monitor so I can't tell you how good the setup works through figures but I can tell you I've had no root issues with this setup.

In regards to the roots that are shriveling before they hit the water, are any of your roots in the water or did you loose all the ones that made it to the water during the root rot episode? If you don't have any roots in the water it may be worth just top feeding the plants until the roots have managed to re-establish themselves in the reservoir.

Comment

• furrysparkle
      furrysparkle commented
      Editing a comment
      How much did you spend on this chiller?

Is it possible they're drying out? I know it's not always easy to take pictures of roots, but could you post a picture of the symptoms?

Comment

Here's my BCNL RoomMate setup: I've got a Green Crack girl growing vigorously front left, Pineapple Chunk and Chemdawg front right, Gold Leaf rear left, and Liberty Haze rear right. I began a little defoliation and LST after the root rot was gone and all the leaves looked the way they should. I think perhaps I need to switch out the Marina wanDd rear left, because it isn't making as many bubbles as the other wands. All roots are looking much better than before Hydroguard.

4/15/19 Grow #10: In Box # 1: Green Crack (Cali Con), Lithium OG Kush (Nirvana), OG Kush (RQS), & BadAzz Kush (BF);
      In Box # 2: C99 (G13 Labs), White Widow (DP), Iced Grapefruit (Female Sds), & Shiva Skunk (Sensi).

Future Harvest nutes

Comment

Make sure your water line is about two inches below the bottom of the net pots. You want an air gap but the water getting kicked up by the bubbles should be keeping the bottom of the net pots wet. I almost wonder if your root tips are drying out because the water line is relatively low? But it could just be the angle of the picture with the lid opened up.

Just curious, how deep is the tub overall from the inside bottom to the lid? You want a nice deep reservoir of water for the best root growth. A big reservoir makes it so your pH/nutrient levels don't swing as much, and your roots are going to completely fill up whatever space you put them in so you want to give them as much space as possible!

But in the pics I definitely see straight, round "feeler" roots that usually seem to happen right before the plant explodes with fuzzy roots. The plant makes a lot of these feelers in the beginning and it's a good sign If they're responding well to the Hydroguard that's another great sign!

I also noticed the water seems almost clear. Have you added nutrients yet? They're definitely big enough to be getting vegetative strength nutrients at this point!

Overall things are actually looking pretty good! You've got 4 happy seedlings with their whole lives in front of them!

Comment

Thanks so much, NH: I've always thought the water level seemed low, but the directions say 16 liters of water in my box. I will raise the H2O. Yes, they have nutes; I'm about to start week 3 nutes.

Future Harvest nutes

Comment

I've got five plants in my grow box.
            A week ago, I raised the water level in my reservoir and nutrient level per Nebula's suggestions; all roots are in reservoir now. Compare week 4 to week 5 pics of roots.
            Compare growth wk 4 to growth wk 5.

I am LSTing all plants, and cutting some fan leaves out of the way of all the bud sites. I am encouraging growth from the bottom of the main stem; I read on GWE that those will make the best bud sites.
            Green Crack is front left; she is far and away the strongest girl. Gold Leaf (rear left) shows a little bit of nute burn and some brown spots on a leaf; I'm keeping an eye on her to see if she can get along with everyone else.
            Front right: Chemdawg and Pineapple Chunk; rear right: Liberty Haze. Yes, I did check all strains for general compatibility of grow times. However, on my first grow (2 Chemdawgs), I harvested the runt before the monster plant; the runt had milky trikes with brown pistils at least 2 weeks before the monster. So I'm not afraid of doing partial harvests...

Final pic: closeup of Ms. Green Crack, happy girl!

NOW, friends, romans, compadres, GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK IF YOU WISH. As I have noted elsewhere, I got so burned on another forum by mean men that I've been a little shy of asking for feedback. But I have definitely gotten a feel for all the wild and crazy folks on this form, and I welcome your feedback.

I know I'm not exactly following the directions (which I usually have a hard time doing, and always want to improvise), and I know that five plants is a lot for my relatively small grow space. But for me, variety is the spice of life, so I thought I'd go all out on grow two and mix and match. I figure that if any of the girls really starts floundering and can't keep up with everyone else, I can remove her. Green Crack is clearly going to be a winner; she is growing like a madwoman.

So anything I'm missing or about to really screw up on, go 'head and give it to me straight!

Future Harvest nutes

Comment

Roots are looking loads better! What type of grow light are you using again?

Comment

400 watt MH/HID on their second grow. I got a lux meter, but I haven't measured yet. I have to go back and re-read your tutorial again.

Future Harvest nutes

Comment

Hey CannaFam, my girls germinated in early November, so I reckon I'm like in week 5-6 of veg. They all look good on top, but I still have some root rot. No odor: I'm using Hydroguard religiously, but stil slimey roots and not tons of roots hanging down into my reservoir. So my plants are still small--growing, but small. Well, Green Crack girl is getting good sized, but the others are small.

I threw away the old bottle of Hydroguard last night, and opened the new one and threw in 10mm. I'ma change water tomorrow, 2 days pH balanced H2O with Hydroguard. I'm thinking that I didn't clean the reservoir properly after my first grow... Well, I did clean it, but one of my damn cats decided that it would be a good place to pee, stuck his butt over one of the openings and pissed in my reservoir!!! So I did clean it all again thoroughly, but now I'm thinking that I should have cleaned with a mild bleach solution...

What's funny to me is that I had no root rot on the first grow, and that was during the high humidity high heat time of the year. I don't have a chiller in my reservoir, but I had no problems over the summer. This is quite the adventure, that's for sure. I just want to see my girls put out strong healthy roots down into reservoir. I will post another picture as soon as I get my parrot out of bed and get him set up with his food.

Future Harvest nutes

Comment

I don't know how everyone else feels about Hydrogen peroxide, but you might want to give that a try IF nothing else works. Hopefully the hydroguard will resolve the issue as hydrogen peroxide must be used throughout the rest of the grow (so i have read). I'd like to hear input on this cause im curious as well.
                    Current Grow:
                    Auto Sour Diesel and Ak48

Comment

Thanks Tersky, but I'm thinkin the roots went into shock from too-cold water.

Future Harvest nutes

Comment

when I did hydro and that happened I would cut it all out...right or wrong I don't know but I did it...

Comment

Yes, I have been gently pulling dead stuff off.

Future Harvest nutes

Comment

I think it's 3 days since I posted pics of funky looking roots (although no bad smell, which is what confounded me) in my grow box, but I am happy to report that after I opened the new bottle of Hydroguard and used that in the reservoir, a shit ton of gorgeous white roots are coming down into the reservoir. This week I have seen an explosion of cola growth, which has been a long time coming until now. I think that it will only be another week or two max until I switch to flower.

Lesson learned: It's true that Hydroguard expires after 5-6 months. AND I hadn't read the instructions carefully, so I didn't immediately keep my first bottle in the fridge after I opened it.

Lesson learned: While it's not good that the cat peed in the reservoir, my cleaning skills are up to snuff and I did clean everything properly before starting second grow.

Lesson learned??? I slowed growth by clipping some fan leaves way to early. So I've been using the "Nebula Haze Tuck" instead the past couple of weeks.

Feedback on the art of growing in hydro is welcome; please let me know what I've overlooked/screwed up. I'm still absorbing tons of knowledge from GWE, still learning.

Feedback on what you'd like to do to my cat is better kept to yourselves. When don'tknownuthin said he'd pee in the cat food, I almost cried.

Future Harvest nutes

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                            X