Cannabliss' DWC Closet Grow - White Widow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannabliss' DWC Closet Grow - White Widow

• Strain: White Widow from Green House Seed Co.
    • Medium: DWC with rockwool and clay pebbles in 3 ½ & 5 gallon buckets
    • Lights for Veg Stage: 24W 2’-2 T5 & 200W 4’-4 T5
    • Lights for Flower Stage: 420W LED
    • Nutrients: House & Garden, Advanced Nutrients, Great White/Orca*
    • Date Sprouted: 2/28/18
    • Date Harvested: 6/22/18
    • Final Weight (Dry): 3.9 oz.

Alright my friends, the time has come for me to finally post some kind of grow journal/log. I’m guessing you’re thinking, “it’s about time”. And you would not be far from the truth either, especially after my hanging around these GWE forums for some time now lol. Please understand that I’m not much for posting grow journals online like this (for several reasons), but I’ve had people asking me to just go for it. So I figured I give it a try. So bear with me here.
    I have to also point out that due to my current living arrangements, I may or may not have to terminate this growth before its intended time. If I do, you will know and I apologize ahead of time for that. If not, then I will continue to post updates until the end of the growth. Also, since I’m posting this journal pretty late into flower (it will be week 8 flower tomorrow), I’ll be adding daily updates, whenever I have time, until I catch up to the current date. Feel free to comment, ask questions and/or sub if you wish.
    The first pic below is basically my DWC water chiller setup back when I grew two plants. However, for this growth I will only be growing one plant using a similar setup. For a detailed explanation of how this little water chiller setup works, click this link here to read my post about it. On my original grow log I rant on and on about nonsense. So I
    removed a lot of that and I’m providing a more compact version to bore you a lot less haha. Enough of that, let’s get to the good stuff.

* Please note that I do not advise using the exact low PPM doses I use throughout this growth. Apart from growing Ww for the first time, I’m also using this grow as a personal “grow test” to see what’s the least amount of nutrients I can use on a single Ww plant using a 420W LED on a 12-week schedule, not starve the plant, and get a decent yield. I understand this sounds “way out there” for some, but it’s what I’m choosing to try in this one particular grow.

• 02/24/18 – Soaked my beans in R.O. water for around 8 hours overnight to soften the shell a bit.
    • 02/25/18 - I used the paper towel method, keeping the temps around the high 80’s.
    DWC Setup White Widow Fem (3) GreenHouse White Widow Fem (3) GreenHouse
    Last edited by Cannabliss; 07-04-2018, 11:46 PM.
    Cannabliss - Just Grow It
    White Widow Grow Journal

• 02/26/18 – Germination! Taproots are about an inch long on 2 of the 3. Added some Great White into the rockwool cubes, planted my beans, and placed them into the humidity dome. Placed them under a couple of 2’ T5 (24W each) fixtures in a setup I built for them. I will only be using one of the bulbs for now. Weather was a bit cold, so I placed a heating mat under the dome with a timer. As long as you can start to see small water droplets on the walls of the inside of the dome, you’re good.
    White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• 02/28/18 – Two of the three sprouted. Slightly opened the side vents of the dome to slowly introduce the young seedlings into the real environment. Will open them up a bit every day. After a few days I will remove the dome.
      White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• 03/07/18 – I hand-fed them a small dose of nutrients worth 43 PPM.
        • 03/13/18 – I picked the best of the remaining two for the final growth and transplanted her into the 3 ½ gallon bucket. I gave the other plant to a buddy of mine in exchange for a gram of OG Kush he had. She will remain under the 2’ T5 fixtures (worth around 50W) in the light frame I built for another week or so. I also fed the plant a total of 85 PPM with pH set at 6.0. Room temps linger in the mid 70’s, while the R.H. in the mid 50%. Res temps are in the mid 60’s F.
        White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• 03/21/18 – She officially started her veg stage today (18/6). Was fed a total of 166 PPM with pH set at 6.0. Later in the day I moved her under the 4’-4 T5 fixture with 2 bulbs turned on (100W total). Room temps in mid 70’s, R.H. in mid 50%. Res temps are in the mid 60’s F.
          White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• Drekthar
            Drekthar commented
            Editing a comment
            what determined the "official start of veg"?

• Cannabliss
            Cannabliss commented
            Editing a comment
            Drekthar If growing from seed, I consider it officially veg when my plants have a nice, little, good root mass going on to be able to handle the coming faster growth from the more intense veg lights I have ready for them.

• Trichomefarmer88
            Trichomefarmer88 commented
            Editing a comment
            They say, that day one of veg is when you get your first set of true leaves after the sun leaves ( the round ones that pop up after sprout) truly amazing to watch how fast they sprout when they first pop up.. great looking so far!

• 03/24/18 – I was going through my feeding notes and realized I completely forgot to add Cal-Mag to my last feeding. I use R.O. water with a PPM of about 4, which is basically nothing. So I usually add some Cal-Mag before anything else. I quickly added some as soon as I remembered. Some bottom, older fan leaves showing signs of Mag def. No wonder I started seeing some very slight purpling of a couple of the petioles early on as well. Slight damage that can be somewhat repaired, but still, rookie mistake on my part. And this is what I was really trying to avoid early on too. Oh well, moving on. The temps have actually been stable at around 75 degrees F and the R.H. has been lingering between 55%-61%, res temps are in the mid 60’s F, which is great.
          White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• 03/27/18 – After much debate with myself, I decided to finally give my baby her only topping after the 4th node rather than just let her grow out.
            White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• 03/28/18 – Gave the plant her veg week 2 feeding of a total of 195 PPM. Temps are currently in the high 70’s and R.H. is in the high 50% to low 60%. The Cal-Mag deficiency affected some of the older bottom fan leaves. That damage is done. Will just leave them there until they’re useless. The good thing is that new roots were already developing and today I started seeing better-looking new growth on the plant. She seems to be recovering from everything that’s been done to her. She really is a fighter. Her main stalk is even looking stronger from the topping as well as the cutting off of some pretty bad-looking fan leaves.
              • 03/29/18 – Plant continues to recover nicely and growing like crazy. Started giving her some slight LST today.
              • 04/03/18 – Fed the plant her veg week 3 feeding of a total of 247 PPM and pH of 6.0. Temps are between 75 and 80, and R.H. between 50% and 55%. Res temps are in the mid 60’s F. I switched on all the bulbs of the T5 for a total of ~ 200W.
              White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• 04/11/18 - Fed the plant her (final) veg week 4 feeding of a total of 336 PPM and pH of 6.0. Temps linger between 75 and 80, and R.H. between 50% and 55%. Res temps are in the mid 60’s F. Cal-Mag deficiency is slowly disappearing, but she continues to show slight leaf edge cupping and wants more and more Cal-Mag. So I give it to her. I’m sure she’ll be nice and ready to flip sometime next week. Here’s a pic of what the Mag deficiency did to her older, lower fan leaves. Not too proud of that pic, but I gotta show the good with the bad, right?
                White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• 04/13/18 - Plant continues to thrive and recover nicely. I gave her a little LST to give the middle of the plant more light penetration. Temps are between 75 and 80 F, and R.H. between 50% and 55%. Res temps continue in the mid 60’s F.
                  White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• 04/16/18 – She continues to recover slowly. I gave her a bit more LST today. I see about 10 potential main bud sites so far. I’m aiming for at least 16.
                    White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• 04/19/18 – Time to flip. Set up PVC frame I built to support the grow lights and added the 200W 4’-4 T5 fixture as well as one of the two LED fixtures set on “Bloom” for a total of about 410W. I will continue to use this mix of T5’s and LED’s during the flowering stretch to ease her into pure LED lights. Afterward, I will replace the T5 with the second LED with both set on ‘bloom’. I also set the light timer to 12/12. Tonight she will have her first full night’s sleep.
                      • 04/20/18 – First day of flower, which also happens to be her week one flower feed. I fed her a total of 379 PPM. Temps have been rising a bit due the weather, so I’ve been forced to use the A/C to keep them from going beyond 83 degrees F. However, doing so causes the R.H. to come down to the 30%’s. I tried adding a humidifier, but it doesn’t really do much. Not a big deal though. Just making sure the temps don’t get too high.
                      • 04/21/18 – I gave the plant a bit of lollipopping. I don’t want to shock her too much, so after this I will be removing 1-2 leaves a day until she’s ready to start fattening up those buds. Also gave her a bit more LST. Temps are between 80 and 84, while humidity remains in the 30’s. Res temps are in the mid 60’s F.
                      White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• Campesino
                        Campesino commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Happy to see your girls - looking forward to seeing where they're at now!

• Cannabliss
                        Cannabliss commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Campesino Thank you for the reply my friend. I was about to add some more entries, but I needed to step out to run a few errands. I'll be adding a few more before I hit the sack.

• 04/27/18 –We’re about a week into flower and she continues to grow and recover nicely. I gave my baby her feeding for the coming week 2 flower of a total of 532 PPM. The reason for the sudden hike in PPM from last week is because I miscalculated my base dosage and gave her 2 mils too much. No big deal. I’ve been pretty much trying to keep my PPM doses at a minimum and more or less equal to the amount of watts I’m currently giving her. In my case, my total wattage is about 420W, but I have them at a certain distance. In time I’ll lower them down to more or less match the PPM of that week’s feeding. Temps remain in the low 80’s while R.H. in the high 30’s. Res temps in the mid 60’s F
                      White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• Cannabliss
                        Cannabliss commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well I’m basically growing a 420W plant in a 12-week DWC growth. If I feed her too many PPM’s in an early stage, she’s going to want more and more light in order to have the proper balance for better photosynthesis. What’s going to happen later down the line in mid bloom when she’s going to require twice the light she had in veg and I can’t provide her with that light because I overfed her with too many PPM’s earlier on when I knew I only had about 420 total watts to provide her with. She’ll grow for sure, no doubt, but her buds may not be as big, and as dense they could’ve been if I had better controlled her PPM’s. However, if I had a 600W or even a 1000W HID light system, then all that changes. With a 1000W HPS, for example, at flower week 8 with one plant I would probably be at 800/900 PPM, instead of 350 PPM which I currently am right now in week 8 flower. That’s why I’d like to get me a 600W HID system, rather than this 400W LED one. I don’t know. That’s sort of how I see it in a nutshell lol.

• Campesino
                        Campesino commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That is an interesting approach, but I don't think you need to lower PPM because you have less light. We measure PPM to make sure plants have access to water. Under more intense light, you would actually want to lower PPM, because plants would need more water. Under less light you could run standard PPM/EC - no adjustment would be required.
                        Your plants have adjusted to your levels, and are looking great, but are probably under-fed at those PPMs.
                        I wrote an article about this: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...u-need-to-know

Cheers

• Cannabliss
                        Cannabliss commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’m sure you’re right on feeding her a bit more PPM, and on my past growths I did feed my plants much more PPM than this one plant. However, I wanted to grow this one plant a bit differently for my own personal “testing purposes” if you will lol. Sort of like setting a “base PPM” to start with and work my way from there. If my strain happens to be a fast-growing strain, then I’ll adjust accordingly and increase the PPM’s a bit higher than if it was a slow-growing strain. I’m realizing now that I should’ve given her a bit more PPM in the beginning, but not too much more. Forgetting to add Cal-Mag wasn’t part of my plan, so that sort of set me back. Now I have to abort my “testing” and just try to grow her as best I can and try to keep up with the Mag def lol. Thank you for the link though, Campesino. I’ll read up on your article later on.

• 05/04/18 - She’s 2 weeks into the flowering stretch, and starting to show signs of its end and the beginnings of the bud swell stage. Removed a few more useless bottom fan leaves to better focus more attention toward the top bud sites. Managed to fix the air pump. It wasn’t pushing out strong enough air. Fed the plant her week 3 flower feed of a total of 509 PPM. Just a tad less than last week’s feeding. pH set at 6.0. Temps remain in the low 80’s and R.H. in the high 30’s.
                      White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• 05/05/18 – Checked the PPM and the water level and she seemed to have taken in about 128 PPM worth of nutes in just 24 hours. Hungry much? Lol No complaints here though. I noticed some of the bigger fan leaves were purpling on the petioles a bit more, so I topped the reservoir with 100 PPM worth of Nutes/Cal-Mag. Again, temps remain in the low 80’s, R.H. in the high 30’s.
                        White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X