Clear All

1st grow! - 10gal DWC - Phantom 315w cmh - Super Skunk - Bluelab Guardian

The Beginning...
    Attached Files
    Instagram: @farmerjim420
    What is VPD?
    diygrowdata.com

Completed:
    #1 Nirvana Super Skunk - 49/49 - DWC - 64g (1 plant)
    Completed: #2 Nirvana Lemon OG Haze - RDWC - 460g (3 plants)
    In progress: #3 DARK HARVEST GROW CHALLENGE! (Group Thread)!
    In progress: #3 Dark Harvest Grow Challenge - farmerjim (thread)

Current Setup:
    • Scrog Tent: HydroFarm Phantom cMH reflector & ballast - Phillips MasterColor 3100/4200k
    • Mainline Tent: HydroFarm Phantom Dual 315 cMH
    • #diyrdwc
    • GH Flora Trio, CalMag, Hydroguard, ArmorSi, Diamond Nectar

Hello GWE!

Very happy to have a thread of my own! A little background first...

I came across GWE as the result of 2 different google searches: 1) cannabis growers community, and 2) BEST cannabis growers community - GWE was the #2 result in both searches. After devouring as many articles & tutorials on the site, I found the forums and, well, haven't really left yet... (you know, the typical, "ok, I responded to a post/sent a msg 10 minutes ago... let's see if there's a response... [10 mins later] how 'bout now... [10 mins later] how 'bout now... so on and so forth...). If I had to identify 1 thing that has kept me here (besides the super-simple-and-straightforward content), it would have to be the overwhelming support members on this board show for others.

Logistics

In short, I'm following The Basics Tutorial, How to Grow Cannabis in 10 Easy Steps, the Bubbleponics Grow Guide and many of the DWC grow journals here on the forums. I came across jerry's data logging experiment and geeked out big-time because one of the reasons I wanted to start growing was to track critical pieces of data throughout the process and build tools to analyze trends, compare metrics and yields across grows, etc. Due to the lack of the appropriate skills, I cannot build my own Temp/Humidity controller (yet!) so I bit the bullet and bought the Bluelab Guardian with Connect for just under $300 on eBay - initial thoughts and some screencaps in my next entry. I also snagged a Dr. Meter LX1330B Light Meter for ~$30.

1. Choose your place: Bedroom Closet (move to garage attic when it warms up)
    2. Choose your light: Phantom 315cmh
    3. Choose growing medium: Bubbleponics-DWC
    4. Get Cannabis Friendly Nutrients: GH Flora-trio
    5. Where to get plants: Nirvana - Lemon OG Haze, Aurora Indica, Hybrid-feminized mix (using Super Skunk for 1st go)
    6. Germinate your seeds: RotoRooters

Data-logging

So when do I talk about actually growing cannabis? Not yet. I will. I promise - I just don't know much yet. I do know summarizing and analyzing data, so let's start there.

For this grow, I plan on tracking the following metrics (tools in italics):
    • Air Temp - Current/Min/Max Acurite 00613 - @jerry - we should try and hack the Acurite to have it log data like your Anduino?
    • Air Humidity - Current/Min/Max Acurite 00613
    • Water Conductivity - logged every half hour Bluelab Guardian Connect
    • Water Temp - logged every half hour Bluelab Guardian Connect
    • Water pH - logged every half hour Bluelab Guardian Connect
    • Light Intensity - recorded at canopy during check-ins Dr.Meter
    • Light distance - recorded at canopy during check-ins Dr.Meter
    • Nutrients - starting ppm, dosage, ending ppm
    • Water pH - starting pH, ending pH (after adjusting)
    • What am I missing?
    Of course, it's no fun to track a whole bunch of data without doing anything with it. My plan is to build a grower's dashboard in tableau and host it for free on tableau public so that it can be accessed by all. I am planning to scrape data from Nirvana, GWE forums, and my datalogs and combine all into a 1 stop shop for strain info, posts on this thread, and my key measurement data. Ultimately, I would like to create a standardized way to track basic information in these grow journals so that we can analyze it and compare different combinations of environmental measurements against the yields they produce.

Call to Action

I am new to this so help me help you. What metrics would be best to capture in a GWE Grow Journal template and not be burdensome to growers - experienced or new? Identifying a base set of metrics is the first step in being able to build a centralized GWE Grow Journal dashboard where we could all potentially search by grower, strain, setup, yields, etc to compare & contrast different grows and aid in grower-decision-making.

That's all for now. Next up, Bluelab Guardian Connect initial thoughts and screencaps...

farmerjim

Ah, my first edit! Almost forgot, the image in my first post was taken by a Zeetopik 1080p wifi camera. I like this camera because it is 1080p, has night-vision functionality, and stores vids/screencaps to the cloud (optional pay service) all for under $50 (camera, not storage). I'm still investigating the plans but am hoping that after storing screencaps to the cloud, there will be some sort of functionality where i can automatically create a time-lapse video to share in the end.
    Last edited by farmerjim; 03-06-2018, 02:17 PM.
    What is VPD?
    diygrowdata.com

Completed:

Current Setup:
    • Scrog Tent: HydroFarm Phantom cMH reflector & ballast - Phillips MasterColor 3100/4200k
    • #diyrdwc

Comment

• oldjarhead100
      oldjarhead100 commented
      Editing a comment
      do you get the sunday news letter this last week there was a time lapse film

• SamHeinous
      SamHeinous commented
      Editing a comment
      That's kind of what happened with me too. I was looking for easy to follow growing tutorials, and came across the site. Never left, and now this is my go-to place!

This looks awesome, very excited to follow this one!

Your post about metrics is quite interesting to me, since this is something I thought about when I was starting my grow. At first I was thinking it would be great to have some sort of metrics to measure and isolate changes in the environment, such as the temperature or ratios of nutrients. But how do we measure what environment changes are actually "good"? To what affects did the changes actually make? To address this, I thought maybe we need to start thinking about evaluation metrics. This is where I got stuck, but so far my best ideas have been to keep track of inter-nodal spacing distance compare it to the overall rate of growth. This could potentially lead some insight as to the actual nature of the plant growth in the vegetative or early flowering stages. I'm also quite interested in hearing what others have to say on this!

Comment

• farmerjim
      farmerjim commented
      Editing a comment
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...a-grow-journal

here's another post that inspired some of the data capture ... i tried reaching out but no response so far

I feel you on the good vs bad... think we need to observe the data before we can start inferring help vs harm... more growers to compare to the better insights that can be derived...
      Last edited by farmerjim; 03-06-2018, 05:29 PM.

Bluelab Guardian Connect

Price: I purchased the Guardian from eBay for ~$270. The Connect version is the version that data logs to a nearby computer. Unfortunately, to communicate with the nearby pc, you need to purchase a Connect stick for ~$100 for a total of almost $400. Replacement probes tend to hover in the $40-$60 dollar range on google so I will be closely monitoring to see what type of shelf-life they have.

Setup: This was very simple. The one caveat is that YOU MUST BE SUPER CAREFUL when calibrating the pH probe. It's very fragile and apparently can break pretty easily. If you can download software you can set up this controller. Once you have the software on your laptop, you simply connect the Connect stick and enter your devices 4-digit identification code and the rest takes care of itself.

Data-logging: I was surprised to see the ability to log to the cloud in the user manual but definitely don't see those settings in my software which is a bummer. I will continue investigating, but for now it automatically started logging to my computer without any setup on my end. It creates a logs folder and starts writing to .csv files on a duration you specify (I will be logging every 30 minutes) - this works for me for the time being.

Mobile-friendly: One thing I was not aware of when purchasing was that there is an app to watch over your conditions on-the-go. Once downloaded, you simply login with the information you created when setting up the software on your computer and bang - real-time data right on your phone!

Connectivity: I have been losing my connection at times throughout the day. I haven't quite figured out if this is a result of (1) internet connectivity dropping and the software not being able to reconnect, or (2) my computer going to sleep and thus disabling the wifi and software. I just turned my sleep functionality off so should have more info shortly. [UPDATE: The issue was #2. I installed a windows update after setting my sleep setting and it reset them. Data has been logging consistently since yesterday now]

farmerjim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by farmerjim; 03-07-2018, 02:11 PM.
    What is VPD?
    diygrowdata.com

Completed:

Current Setup:
    • #diyrdwc

Comment

Planting Day: 3/5/3018 - 7pm

1. Reservoir water level is right up against the bottom of the net pots
      2. Pushed 1 Nirvana SuperSkunk into the RapidRooter as shown in 10 Easy Steps
      3. Used a 5mL dropper to pH to 6.1 and to moisten the top of the stones around the RotoRooter
      4. Initial Readings...

Code:
      <ec:><ppm:360><restemp:71><startpH:4.4><endpH:6.1><airtemp:70><humidity:.34><light:><distcanopyfromlight:>

Germinating - Day 1 - 3/6/2018
      1. It's been cold the past couple of days and the air temp in the tent fell to around 68 this morning. I have a small fan/space heater in there now (set to 75) and things have evened out at ~82 degrees. Humidity is crazy low at 22% so I'll be messing with that tonight.
      2. Used a 5mL dropper to moisten the top of the stones around the RotoRooter - removed net pot covers hoping that would help with humidity
      3. Readings...

Code:
      <ec:><ppm:360><restemp:69><startpH:6.1><endpH:6.1><airtemp:82><humidity:.22><light:><distcanopyfromlight:>

Germinating - Day 2 - 3/7/2018
      1. Low humidity issue resolved - First I placed a shot glass filled with 1oz tap water next to the germinating net pot. I then placed a tupperware container over the netpot and the shot glass. After an hour or so humidity inside the container rose from the low 20's to 45-60%. I turned off the fan as it seemed to be reducing the humidity under the dome. The heater and exhuast fan were left on to keep up air flow within the tent.
      2. Used a 5mL dropper to moisten the top of the stones around the RotoRooter - covered netpots to avoid light leakage into the reservoir.
      3. Readings...

Code:
      <ec:><ppm:360><restemp:70><startpH:6.1><endpH:6.1><airtemp:79><humidity:.55><light:><distcanopyfromlight:>
      4. Around noon, I noticed that the pH started ticking up ever so slightly. This was very interesting as the pH has been extremely stable since I stabilized at 6.1 2 days ago. By 5pm it had risen to 6.5 so I decided to drop 2mL of pH Down into the res which got me right back to my 6.1 target. Now, why would my pH suddenly start to change after 2+ days of very consistent balance? Could it be? Dare I say? It's... alive?!

Code:
      <ec:><ppm:360><restemp:73><startpH:6.5><endpH:6.1><airtemp:75><humidity:.54><light:><distcanopyfromlight:>

Germinating - Day 3 - 3/8/2018
      1. Nor'Easter #2 dropped about 8" when we were supposed to be on the rain line so it was an early morning. We have power, but according to my Bluelab readings we lost it around 1130 last night. The live feed shows humidity of 91%! Turns out, the power outage knocked out the heater so there was little to no air circulation throughout the night.
      2. Decided not to moisten the stones/roto-rooter given the high humidity for now. Removed the shot glass from the humidity dome.
      3. Decided since I need to adjust pH again, I might as well add my first nutrients to the res. I am using the GH Flora trio in a 10gal res with 5gal water. Instructions say to add 1/4 tsp per gallon of each. I decided to start slow and went with 1/4 tsp each for the entire 5 gallons.
      4. Is that?!!? [Hello darkness my old friend...] see 20180308_064011.jpg...
      5. Readings...

Code:
      <ec:><startppm:380><endppm:430><restemp:72><startpH:6.5><endpH:5.7><airtemp:77><humidity:.66><light:><distcanopyfromlight:>

Germinating - Day 4 - 3/9/2018
      1. We've sprouted! Moistened the rocks/rr with a few drops of res water. Put the shot glass back under the dome. Flipped the fan back on. If the humidity stabilizes below 40% I'll turn it back off.
      2. Setup a T5 and turned it on.
      3. Readings...

Code:
      <ec:><startppm:430><endppm:430><restemp:72><startpH:5.7><endpH:5.7><airtemp:75><humidity:.32><light:><distcanopyfromlight:>
      Attached Files
      Last edited by farmerjim; 03-09-2018, 10:44 PM.
      What is VPD?
      diygrowdata.com

Completed:

Current Setup:
      • #diyrdwc

Comment

• jerry
        jerry commented
        Editing a comment
        The setup looks great! Seeing your nice data has motivated me to get back to work on my datalogging hahaha

• farmerjim
        farmerjim commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks jerry! question for you... what do you think about using the code tags to, er, "tag" measurements being entered into grow journals? Figured that gwe isn't going to use code tags all that much so if we leverage those, we could have the python scripts scrape the source pages of completed journals looking for the code tags and then extract the data in between... Thinking this is how users who aren't using data logging instruments could possibly participate in our hypothetical grow tracking dashboard....

• jerry
        jerry commented
        Editing a comment
        That could work for sure! with a preset template for users to fill out, it could easily be plugged into a script

Very cool! I gotta say that even though all the data collection isn't my thing, I'm really impressed with the level of planning and cleanliness you tech guys are bringing to growing.

And you guys are more evidence that pot doesn't make everyone dumb. Thanks, I have to show this to my wife.
      Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        One of the many best things about GWE is that everything is cool, man. If you want to share nerd-grow 3.0, I say bring it! This is your grow, you get to do ANYTHING you like, and if it grows good weed, it's for the greater good, man.
        Especially if you create empiric data proving or laying to rest any controversial practices. It's not how I want to do it, but I think it will be awesome to see how you dial in your set up , and totally steal some of your lazier hacks.

• farmerjim
        farmerjim commented
        Editing a comment
        nerd-grow3.0... love it! that deserves a spot in the title...

• farmerjim
        farmerjim commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey DK, thought you might like to show your wife this as well - some pretty interesting stuff! This was put out by an Analytics firm out of Colorado.

http://www.bdsanalytics.com/cannabis...happy-campers/

I love all the documentation so far, I can't wait to see this journal

Comment

Seedling - Day 1 - 3/10/2018 (5)

1. Light - Seedling shot up pretty well over night. Noticed a slight curve/stretch towards the T5 so centered it over the seedling a bit more.
        2. Humidity - Since removing the tupperware dome, humidity has been hovering around 25%. I tried hanging a damp towel and filling the tupperware container with water as opposed to the shot glass but nothing seemed to help yet.
        3. Readings...

Code:

<ec:><startppm:430><endppm:430><restemp:73><startpH:5.8><endpH:5.8><airtemp:73><humidity:.24><light:><distcanopyfromlight:>
        4. Light - Turned off the T5 around 1pm for its first 18/6 cycle. I know a lot of folks here use a 24/0 right out the gate, especially for autos, but I want to get used to maintaining a lighting schedule as future grows won't be all autos. During the dark period, the seedling straightened up pretty good.
        5. Humidity - Made a taller humidity dome by cutting the top off of a plastic juice bottle in an attempt to keep humidity up during the night.

Code:

<ec:><startppm:430><endppm:430><restemp:73><startpH:5.9><endpH:5.9><airtemp:78><humidity:.71><light:><distcanopyfromlight:>

Seedling - Day 2 - 3/11/2018 (6)

1. Light - Seedling seems to be growing pretty well. 1st set of leaves are coming in nicely. Starting to suspect a bit of stretch but not 100% sure. Going to measure light intensity for the first time hoping that moving the lights closer will keep her from running on me. T5 is putting off 12,500 lumens @ 6 inches away. Is this too close for a T5?
        2. Humidity - removed the dome for now - trying to get humidity to the 40-60% range without it.
        3. Readings...

Code:

<ec:><startppm:430><endppm:430><restemp:70><startpH:5.9><endpH:5.9><airtemp:72><humidity:.36><light:12,500><distcanopyfromlight:6>
        4. Tired of the low humidity. Put a humidifier into the tent. Problem solved. 50-60% range.
        5. Nervous about my seedling stretch - but I think I caught it before it got too bad. I mean hey, 1st grow right? I'll dedicate a separate post on this thread to what I can find on seedling stretch.

Code:

<ec:><startppm:430><endppm:430><restemp:69><startpH:5.9><endpH:5.9><airtemp:72><humidity:.45><light:12,500><distcanopyfromlight:3>

Seedling - Day 3 - 3/12/2018 (7)

1. Light - I dropped the T5 light. It's now literally an inch above the top of the seedling.
        2. Humidity - Yea, we're good. This morning it was at 60% or so. I turned it up to high and ended up hitting 70-something% while I was at work. Medium is probably sufficient (what I had it at overnight).
        3. Readings...

Code:

<ec:><startppm:430><endppm:430><restemp:69><startpH:5.9><endpH:5.9><airtemp:72><humidity:.59><light:12,500><distcanopyfromlight:3>

Seedling - Day 4 - 3/13/2018 (8)

1. Light - Seedling stopped stretching.
        2. Humidity - Humidity is ideal.
        3. Readings...

Code:

<ec:><startppm:440><endppm:440><restemp:66><startpH:6.0><endpH:6.0><airtemp:64><humidity:.63><light:12,500><distcanopyfromlight:3>

Seedling - Day 5 - 3/14/2018 (9)

1. Light - First set of leaves are ready for takeoff!
        2. Humidity - Humidity is ideal.
        3. Readings...

Code:

<ec:><startppm:440><endppm:440><restemp:64><startpH:6.0><endpH:6.0><airtemp:64><humidity:.63><light:12,500><distcanopyfromlight:3>

Seedling - Day 6 - 3/15/2018 (10) - "Heat stress from switching to cmh"

Ugh - Rookie mistake! Before leaving for work, I was excited with how well the seedling looked after recovering from the initial stretch for light, so I decided to switch out the T5 for the Phantom 315W cmh.

Lesson Learned! Do not switch out your light unless you can be around to adjust for new fluctuations in Temp & RH! I didn't have a chance to check in on the camera feed until it was already in the dark period (1-6pm). Oh the humanity - my seedling is literally almost laying across the top of the tote lid! The leaves were about an inch from the lid. Looking at the acurite, I see that the temp peaked at 100 degrees while humidity bottomed out at 20%. When I got home, I propped the little sucker up with a twist tie and struggled for most of the night in trying to keep the temperature down.

Readings...

Code:

<ec:><startppm:450><endppm:450><restemp:71><startpH:6.0><endpH:6.0><airtemp:92><humidity:.59><light:12,500><distcanopyfromlight:18>

Seedling - Day 7 - 3/16/2018 (11) - "stabilized temp & rh with cmh"

Alrighty - I was able to control temp and humidity to a certain extent. Conditions are ideal when the lights are off, but am still having a bit of trouble with lights on. Humidity with lights on is in the 40% range and 60% range with lights off. Temp hovers around 83 degrees with lights on and 70 degrees with lights off. I would still like to get the temp down to at least 75 degrees so if there are any tips out there feel free to shoot them my way!

How did I stabilize? I cranked the humidifier up to full power and set it for a target rh of 65%. I have 2 fans blowing above the top of the seedling towards the exhaust.

3. Readings...

Code:

<ec:><startppm:450><endppm:450><restemp:71><startpH:6.0><endpH:6.0><airtemp:70><humidity:.51><light:off><distcanopyfromlight:3>

Seedling - Day 8 - 3/17/2018 (12) - "1st reservoir change"

Made my 1st reservoir change this morning. I bought 2 10 gal totes and left one inside the other in the event there was any leakage from the main res. I removed the bottom one and washed it down. Filled it so that the water level would be about 1 inch below the net pot.
        1. Nutrients - Kept nutrients slightly under 1/4 of the recommended strength (GH Trio) - 1/4 tsp for the entire res (~5gal).
        2. Hydroguard - Added hydroguard to the reservoir for the first time. Suggested strength was 2 mL per gal, so I added about 10 mL. Is there any risk to going with full strength hydroguard in the seedling stage?
        3. Adjusted pH.
        4. Readings...

Code:

<ec:><startppm:360><endppm:360><restemp:69><startpH:7.3><endpH:5.9><airtemp:83><humidity:.35><light:off><distcanopyfromlight:3>
        Attached Files
        Last edited by farmerjim; 03-17-2018, 04:11 PM.
        What is VPD?
        diygrowdata.com

Completed:

Current Setup:
        • #diyrdwc

Comment

• farmerjim
          farmerjim commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by MajorTom View Post
          Question: I'm also using the BlueLab but w/o the Connect feature. So you're monitoring water temp but how are you controlling it? Are you using a chiller? My limited understanding is that temp overheating like that can cause root problems but if you're water temps are good (62-68F) you'll probably be ok. I'm using a chiller on a timer but thinking about adding a temp controller to it as temps were around 70F after my over-heat situation and then while I corrected everything dropped to 58F for a short while, after finally finding the best timer specs.

Good job with all of these stats. I'm doing my best with mine but I have to leave them unattended for long periods of time so there's always gaps. Its always such a thrill to open the door on my tiny box and find 'em still alive and kicking...these plants and their growing process is truly amazing.
          Hey Major - welcome to gwe and NerdGrow3.0! Glad you're enjoying the nerdiness...

Water temps
          So far I think I've been really lucky with my water temp. My res tends to fluctuate in the 68-73 range (min w/ lights off - max w/ lights on). I'm running a Phantom 315w cMH which is supposed to be a bit easier in controlling temps so maybe that's helping out a bit. It could also be the fact that I'm in the northeast and its April and we still have 40/50 degree temps outside. So I haven't really done anything to control it yet. Since the temps do rise a bit while the lights are on I've been planning on changing my res water every 7 days ("Sunday Funday") to keep tabs on any adverse root reactions. If temps did give me an issue, I was planning on going down the aquarium temp controller route but never did much research on the different options - knowing myself I'd probably look for a controller that you could adjust via mobile and track the data. I have seen other growers on this forum simply ice their buckets (maybe alternating some 2L bottles filled with (frozen) water between the res and the freezer) but I'm a bit on the lazy side (Indica fan).

Air temps
          I also have a 6in hurricane inline set about 1/3 of the total power venting hot air out of the top of the tent but it's just venting into the closet/room for now. Ambient temps tend to hover in the 70-84 range (min w lights off - max with lights on). I found that my temps were controlled more easily when I opened a couple of the bottom vents in the tent. I have the round ports in the bottom left and right of the tent open now where they were both closed early on. I have a hurricane clip fan blowing from the bottom left of the tent across the top of the canopy towards the inline in the top right in an attempt to knock the heat out of the tent before it gets to the canopy. A final adjustment I made was that I stopped closing my closet doors. I have those louver bifold doors that I was previously closing when I was wrestling with the ~90 degree temps. The combo of the proper venting and allowing the exhausted air to leave the closet by leaving the doors open seemed to even me out at the max of 84 which I figured was much better than 94.

Stats
          Take a look at the other posters on this thread (jerry & Insight). jerry and I are messing with data experiments of our own. He is actually building his own data loggers which I definitely want to try. Maybe we can get him to write us up some instructions and see if we can replicate his process?

Insight pointed me to an ambient sensor that tracks data also. I actually ordered it already and should be here tomorrow so haven't messed with it yet.

Since you have to leave your plants unattended for periods of time, take a look at my post about the Zeetopik camera. Its <$50 and you can install it in your cabinet and check in on your homies whenever you want (as long as the cabinet is within range of an internet connection). It has a night vision setting too. I literally stare at my plants throughout the day. My wife basically hates it but I got her one too so she can watch the dog when we're at work (it actually has a speakerphone too so you can yell at your dog/ sing songs to your plant if you so choose). I also have my cam setup in such a way that I can read my instruments remotely. So, for example, if I am at work and check in on my cam feed and see that my temps jumped to 90 degrees, I take a screengrab so I can record the details later. I'm struggling with finding the web address that the app uses so I can livestream my plant in my signature! [wife yells "Nerd!" in the background...]

~farmerjim~

• MajorTom
          MajorTom commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info, FJ; Let the Nerdiness Roll! LOL

On the fans; I started with some strong computer style intake and exhuast fans and quickly learned my exhaust needed upgrading so went to the 4" Hurricane with an 8" scrubber (had to set these outside the box so my stealth rating is taking a hit). My setups in an attic apartment without much ventilation so I also had to rig up a 4" hose from a stand alone AC unit to pump cool air to the bottom of the box where the intake fan is. This creates a nice cooling action when my exhaust fan is running but overcools the box when my lights are off (4 hours/day) so the exhaust fan is now off with the lights. When I get back I'll set the lights up to run 24/7.

On my "chiller": My tank is small at 3 gallons so I've been using something like the item in the link below without the thermostat. Will probably add the thermostat on my next go round.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JSVLBO...v_ov_lig_dp_it
          https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ANCB24W...v_ov_lig_dp_it

On temp swings, the other thing I'm thinking of adding during my next change is GH Armor Si. This is supposed to help the plants survive difficult situations; and believe me, with me at the helm, we need all the help we can get.

I also setup a bag of organic CO2 right next to the opening where the hose goes into my box. My thinking is that my air up there is not very fresh and I don't want my ladies to suffocate. This may be another rookie type thing that won't help at all, but it does seem to soothe my maternal plant-care-giving instincts. It's one of the small Exhale bags (too big to fit in my box). CO2 is another thing altogether.

Looking forward to hearing more about your data trackers. If my ladies survive this 12 day stint, I may start my own log. There's at least one other and maybe some other first timer starts similar to ours, around the beginning of March, on this forum so I think it'd be interesting to see how we all turn out.

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          Farmerjim I like the idea of keeping track and have something to analyze it when grow is done . One thing I noticed I have some input for you but by the time I get to the the spot to input its been a week and not worth saying anything , the things I was going to say is hold your hand under your t5s if its to hot for your hand its to hot for the girls . I veg under t5s and there is no need to put them under other lights save the 315 for bloom . now scrolling down I see you shortened up the posts to a day so you figured it out great job , one thing you will notice is we love to be involved with each others posts so going with a post a day gives everyone a chance to chime in I know I'm only on here in the early am so you might or might not get a respond from me every day but respond I will

farmerjim ...don't know if this has been mentioned before...

For temperature and humidity logging and graphing and ability to output a .csv file....check out....Sensor Push....can be used with bluetooth locally in the house or use their gateway and monitor anywhere from your mobile phone.. It works great.

http://www.sensorpush.com/

https://www.amazon.com/SensorPush-Wi...sor+push&psc=1

Comment

• farmerjim
          farmerjim commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks Insight! This is pretty sweet - I especially like that they say they have an API coming soon. this may be a bday present for when I set up my flowering tent above the garage next month...

Veg Week 1: Day 1 - 3: 3/18-3/20: days 13-15 since planting

Week 1 of veg started off slow. The 1st set of serrated leaves experienced quite the droop until I realized my mistake. When I filled the reservoir for the first time, I filled it to a structural line in the container that was about halfway (~5gal). I wanted the water level to rest right up against the bottom of the net pot while I was germinating. After sprouting some roots, I dropped the water level to about 1-1.5 inches below the net pot by removing water. When I performed my first res change, I forgot that I needed to drop the water level and filled it up to the same visual indicator (the structural line) that I used originally. After removing some water (that I then used for foliage misting since it was nuted and pH'd) to allow the plants some room to breathe, she seemed to perk right back up. NewbTip: When you write in your grow journal that you set the water level an inch or so below the net pot, double check that you actually set your water level an inch or so below the net pot...

Readings...
        Code:
          <ec:><startppm:360><endppm:430><restemp:67><startpH:6.1><endpH:6.1><airtemp:84><humidity:.48><light:45000><distcanopyfromlight:18>

Veg Week 1: Day 4 - 7: 3/21-3/24: days 16-19 since planting

Now we're cruisin'... 1st set of 5's coming in nicely! Waiting is hard...

Readings...
        Code:
          <ec:><startppm:460><endppm:460><restemp:67><startpH:6.2><endpH:6.2><airtemp:84><humidity:.58><light:45000><distcanopyfromlight:18>
        Attached Files
        Last edited by farmerjim; 03-26-2018, 03:00 PM.
        What is VPD?
        diygrowdata.com

Completed:

Current Setup:
        • #diyrdwc

Comment

Veg Week 2: Day 1 - 3: 3/25-3/27: days 20-22 since planting

Nutrients - I changed my reservoir today and decided to up the nutrients to about 1/4 the strength of the recommended vegetation dose. 3 tsp micro - 4 tsp veg - 2 tsp bloom for my 4-5 gallon reservoir in addition to hydroguard. ppms are at 630.

Code:
          <ec:><startppm:430><endppm:630><restemp:66><startpH:6.5><endpH:6.1><airtemp:68><humidity:.58><light:45000><distcanopyfromlight:18>
          Time for some LST! We forgot to choose a safe word...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by farmerjim; 04-02-2018, 09:36 PM.
          What is VPD?
          diygrowdata.com

Completed:

Current Setup:
          • #diyrdwc

Comment

Veg Week 2: Day 4 - 7: 3/28-3/31: days 23-26 since planting

snip, snip... tie, snip, tie, tie, tie, tie... wait, wait more, wait more, I can't wait anymore... 1st TOP!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by farmerjim; 04-01-2018, 04:25 PM. Reason: Added 2nd webcam!
            What is VPD?
            diygrowdata.com

Completed:

Current Setup:
            • #diyrdwc

Comment

Veg Week 3: Day 1 - 3: 4/01-4/03: days 27-29 since planting

Nutrients - I changed my reservoir today and decided to up the nutrients to about 1/2 the strength of the recommended aggressive vegetation dose. 5 tsp micro - 7 tsp veg - 3 tsp bloom for my 4-5 gallon reservoir. I also added 2ish tsp of GH CalMag in addition to the Hydroguard this time around. ppms are at 1470 which is up about 800 or so from last weeks res change/nute dose.

Data - Insight , I couldn't wait til my birthday (ahem, the 20th of this month...) so I went ahead and got a SensorPush on your reco. Thanks so much! Definitely a cool little gadget. I like how you can set temp/rH ranges for notifications.

Readings...

Code:
              <ec:><startppm:840><endppm:1470><restemp:66><startpH:6.4><endpH:5.9><airtemp:68><humidity:.61><light:45000><distcanopyfromlight:18>
              Attached Files
              Last edited by farmerjim; 04-02-2018, 09:37 PM.
              What is VPD?
              diygrowdata.com

Completed:

Current Setup:
              • #diyrdwc

Comment

Veg Week 3: Day 4 - 7: 4/04-4/07: days 30-33 since planting

So here's a story... Over the past few weeks I've been trying to be very careful not to stress my plant by removing too many leaves or topping too many times since many warn against a lot of manipulation with autos. I've also been scouring other auto grows to see when they entered the pre-flowering/flowering stage. I'm a couple of weeks overdue... did I stress my plant too much with the heat stress/water logging during its seedling stage? Did I top too late? Did I remove too many leaves?

NewbTip2: When you are growing auto strains, make sure you purchased (and planted) auto seeds!!

So now that we're all squared away, let's veg!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by farmerjim; 04-09-2018, 01:00 PM. Reason: Adding pics
                What is VPD?
                diygrowdata.com

Completed:

Current Setup:
                • #diyrdwc

Comment

Veg Week 4: Day 1 - 3: 4/08-4/10: days 34-36 since planting

Nutrients - I changed my reservoir again. Upped last weeks nutrients slightly - (1/2 the strength of the recommended aggressive vegetation dose). roughly 5 tsp micro - 7ish tsp veg - 3 tsp bloom for my 4-5 gallon reservoir. I also added 3ish tsp of GH CalMag in addition to the Hydroguard this time around. ppms are at 1740 which is up about 300 or so from last week.

Lights - I dropped my lights down a bit. Lux readings at the canopy were about 36k. Dropped to around 15/18 inches for 60-65k lux. (Noticed some bleaching/light burn a bit later in the week so probably should've left it as is). More on that in my next post.

Readings...

Code:
                   <ec:><startppm:1470><endppm:1740><restemp:70><startpH:7.0><endpH:5.9><airtemp:77><humidity:.47><light:65000><distcanopyfromlight:14>
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by farmerjim; 04-13-2018, 12:06 PM. Reason: Pic added
                  What is VPD?
                  diygrowdata.com

Completed:

Current Setup:
                  • #diyrdwc

Comment

• oldjarhead100
                    oldjarhead100 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    plants thrive under lux between 65 and 85 k lux over 85 they cant use it

• farmerjim
                    farmerjim commented
                    Editing a comment
                    thanks ojh! agreed, I was a bit confused as to why 60k would cause bleaching but am more and more confident that what I was seeing was actually the start of a deficiency given the amount of water the plant sucked up in week 3.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X