No announcement yet.

Campesino's 1st Grow Journal - Coco with Viparspectra LEDs - 6 Manifolds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An early picture of some Trichs, Hopefully that is clear enough to solicit opinions when the time comes... And I can't help but post a few shots of the colas.
    It seems I inspired Cronk to look into nutrient schedules, and his response encouraged me to do the same. I came across this fun little tid-bit straight from the source (General Hydroponics).
    • When using Armor Si and/or CALiMAGic, with Flora Series, these products should be added prior to adding FloraMicro
    This is not what I have been doing! It is not what Nebula suggests! I have always added CalMag last - plants haven't seemed any worse for it.
    Here is the LINK
    Thoughts?
    Coco/Perlite with High Frequency Auto-Fertigation
    4x4 Tent, 2@ Viparspectra 450 Reflector Series LEDs
    GH Nutes including: Flora Trio, CALiMAGic, Rapid Start, Armor SI, Liquid KoolBloom, and Diamond Nectar. Also: SM-90 and H2O2

Current Grow Journal: Coco/LED 6 Manifolds Grow #2 Harvest 407 grams = 14.5oz June 2018
    Completed Grow Journal: Coco/LED 6 Manifolds Grow Harvest: 289 grams = 10.3oz March 2018
    Check out my Guide for Growing in Coco and my Auto Watering System
    JOIN US for the DARK HARVEST GROW CHALLENGE! (starts Aug 11, 2018)

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      @ZigZag
      Glad to know I'm not the only one, but apparently werdoinitwrong

• Trichomefarmer88
      Trichomefarmer88 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've always used my armor si first only cause it said to on bottle... But I don't believe the cal magic says you have to add first? I haven't had any problems the past two years I've use it in both soil and coco

• Locrian99
      Locrian99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting probably has a lot to do with the PPM in your water I’ve added cal mag to distilled water before and seen a drop. If you’ve already got enough in there it must not be enough to effect it.

Nice setup campesino! Them ladies are looking sticky and fat glad to see nice grows with leds

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks LRC420ROWER
      They really are getting sticky, I was just in there and my hands are still sticky and smell dank!

• RosettaStoned
      RosettaStoned commented
      Editing a comment
      Well duh, you got some dank bud growing there haha
      It's like a jungle of love

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, that is what I am naming my tent. I am going to make a sign and hang over the door...
      "The Jungle of Love"
      Thanks RosettaStoned

SaWEET! Those are pretty frickin' big and full already to still have such baby hair pistils going on, all white and pointing straight out. I'm drooling over how fat those colas are going to be when they're closer to done in a couple weeks. They're like little puppies with giant feet.
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      DingusKhan
      I am so happy with them! Love the puppy metaphor - I certainly hope so...
      Pistils are all white... keep growing girls!

Do you have that fuel smell coming off the gg#4? Maybe that’s not the right word but it’s def not a skunky smell I typically associate with bud. Wonder if you’ll get that big overnight mature thing I did, trichs just turned over night could see the difference with the naked eye in the “frost”
    48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
    600w mh/hps
    32”x32”x63” veg tent
    viparspectra PAR 450 led
    FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
    5 gallon Smart Pots
    Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
    Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      I certainly have experience with bud that smells like diesel, but I haven't picked up that scent yet. They are getting incredibly sticky and the resin left on my hands just smells like strong dank bud - no fuel. I'll be on the look out for any maturing, when did yours mature overnight (flower day/week)?

• Locrian99
      Locrian99 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was I want to say when I checked them morning day 70 for the bigger plant. And I switched them to a dark period 71 harvested 73. Other plant could’ve used a few more days but I think that had a lot to do with the stress from the mites in early flower. Idk why they only seemed to go after that plant.

• oldjarhead100
      oldjarhead100 commented
      Editing a comment
      on the first day of week 8 on my gg grow I gave them water and molasses 3 days later the buds had doubled in size something to look forward to

Locrian99_ do you switch your plants to 24/24 darkness before harvest? If so...for how long? Sounds like you put them dark for 3 days? Never tried it myself but heard it can improve potency.

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      ZigZag
      Locrian99 actually started a thread on this and I wrote an explanation there. See https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...before-harvest
      I started working on a longer piece, but it got shelved due to more pressing concerns. I was fascinated by the plant biology behind it and learned so much about photosynthesis and C3 plants in doing this research. In short, yes, it is best to harvest at the end of a dark period. It seems that between 36 and 60 hours are ideal, but that is basically guess work with no solid research supporting exact times. I am happy to answer questions on this, but read what I wrote in Locrian99's thread.

• ZigZag
      ZigZag commented
      Editing a comment
      THANKS_ I'm gonna take a look at the link and will try this in about 9 weeks when I get ready to take this crop down.Thanks for sharing!

Day 80 Flower Day 40
    I have been doing some canopy management with bamboo and soft-ties over the last few nights as the laddies fatten and start to move around. It looks a little chaotic on the time lapse. Happy with the results...
    Took a few lower angle shots to see colas developing. I am a happy campesino!
    GH Nutes including: Flora Trio, CALiMAGic, Rapid Start, Armor SI, Liquid KoolBloom, and Diamond Nectar. Also: SM-90 and H2O2

Current Grow Journal: Coco/LED 6 Manifolds Grow #2 Harvest 407 grams = 14.5oz June 2018
    Completed Grow Journal: Coco/LED 6 Manifolds Grow Harvest: 289 grams = 10.3oz March 2018

Comment

• Cronk
      Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking Very Lush. Look at all those tops

• FishCityFunk
      FishCityFunk commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking great, you'll be busy on trim day ! I see those gg4 pistils going amber. A few days behind where mine did, but not a huge indicator. Healthy looking plants.

looking great campesino
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

20 DAY TIME LAPSE!
    Flower days 23-42
    Two GIFs, Fast and very fast!
    2 frames per day, within 1 hour of lights on and within 5 minutes of lights off
    Pick a cola and watch it through...

Comment

Campesino Those are incredible I think you should post those in a new post so everyone can see them wow fantastic
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Day 84 Flower Day 44
      Running along smoothly and happily!
      The weather has been perfect here for the last week or so. Really low humidity and mild temps 50-70. I can pretty easily drop the RH in my office to single digits or teens most of the time, which can bring the tent down to the low 30s and I should be able to go lower if I wanted. So, thoughts on that are welcome... Should I start getting it as low as she'll go or keep it low 40s high 30s? Temps in the tent are 75-77 lights on 70-72 lights off.
      Harvest time expectations: Told 63 days, thinking that might not be too far off for some. The GG4s do not all appear to be maturing at the same speed so, earliest one might be around that - also Skywalkers. Other two GG4, maybe closer to 70. Either way just about 3 weeks.
      Added liquid KoolBloom to nutes, Just 2ml/gal, on day 41 and 43. Stuff is nasty, but plants seem to like it. I have had to prop up numerous flowers that started falling down under their own weight. Up to now, I have only given them the base nutrients and Cal/Mag. During Veg, I added SM-90 to the water regularly (roots/transpiration/pest prophylactic), but haven't added anything since flip. I was traumatized by nute burn on an earlier grow, so have been somewhat playing it safe with supplements.
      Does anyone know if there is actually a reason to add Molasses to a coco set up using synth nutes? I may be missing something, but am struggling to see the point if the point normally is to feed the bacteria. If it was a "sweetner" it would have to be sweet... Blackstrap molasses has practically 0 sucrose (that is what it is, everything but the sugar). The final argument about micronutrients perhaps, but why then at this time. I think it makes sense in soil, help me out here if you think it works in coco.
      Input on any and all is welcome!

Comment

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks D.A.A.S.69
        I am going to go for it (molasses). Just finishing week 7, so I will give it during week 8. Still figuring out my plan for week 9!
        The Kipple Shock is DOA
        It was the one seed out of the bunch that failed to germinate. Really bummed, cause I agreed with you and was looking forward to it. I contacted Seedsman, hoping they'd give me a new one (I only had 1!). They are being nice and giving me three of their seeds for free, but not Dr. Krippling. To top it all, they don't even have Kripple Shock in stock anymore.
        Somethings aren't meant to be.
        I have been super busy this week... I have to update my journals... Tomorrow!

• RosettaStoned
        RosettaStoned commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes bummer about that beauty.... Looked like a good one. The out of stock thing is getting old at seedsman.

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Campesino, man what a shock, Kripplins are some of the best. I sure hate that.

Decided to go out and try to find info on molasses. Like many things, hard science is... well, hard to find. But from what I can tell, adding molasses is really only beneficial to microbes, which hydro (and coco) lack unless inoculated. I saw someone citing this research paper as evidence of it's benefit but reading the abstract carefully, the researches innoculated the the soil with "effective microorganisms" as well. Which microbes were used is not stated in the abstract but their inclusion is a crucial aspect of the experiment. This is also a farm field application which is quite different from soilless grows.
      http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1.../J064v14n02_04

So my take is it's not likely to be a benefit. Don't think it would be harmful in small amounts however.

The advocates of molasses are pretty consistent in using it in soil grows. Even here on GWE, the recommendation is clearly for soil grows:
      http://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-i...oors#nutrients

If you want to give it a go, perhaps try it on one plant and see if it out paces a non-treated plant - same strain of course.

As an aside -- not related to your current situation, but possibly for the future -- there are a ton of inoculalants on the market, mycorhizae being very popular, but the particular fungi/microbe species can vary with many of them offering no benefit. Mycorhizae are very species specific and won't attach to the roots of other species plants -- or at least specific to the genus level I should think. (I've looked into it but don't have any sources on hand... Should have bookmarked...) That's not to say that none of products on the market are helpful, but it's a bit of a wild west out there for innoculants.

I've been distracted by bathroom renovations for the past week and half... I'll post an update on my grow shortly. Lots to catch up on.
      Last edited by MadMike; 02-23-2018, 04:07 PM.
      3rd Grow - Coco
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...crop-coco-grow

Comment

• MadMike
        MadMike commented
        Editing a comment
        D.A.A.S.69
        I completely understand your mentioning getting to know how the plants grow. Including this crop, I've only grown 20 or so plants and right now I'm trying to get a handle on what they are doing. How are they filling out? Do they look more dense that the last crop? I need more grows for sure to see trends and best practice. I've been contemplating doing a controlled grow and testing some things and molasses was one of my first targets. I also appreciate you commenting on how nutrient companies have changed formulas over the years. That is something only noticed by the long time growers. I readily admit to having TONS to learn, and your experience has weight with me.

• Cronk
        Cronk commented
        Editing a comment
        D.A.A.S.69, are you using throughout the grow or throughout the entire flush?

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello MadMike, right, we are all learning, know one knows it all, that's for sure.
        All I'm saying ,I've seen what it does to plants. Nothing magical about it ,but over the years, you get to know what to expect in the last couple of weeks, but molasses really does some good.
        Cronk, yes ,you can use it the wholegrow,

Day 88 Flower day 48
      Nearing the home stretch!

Comment

• MadMike
        MadMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I LOVE the trichcome photo! A USB scope has never been on my list of equipment to add to the room but your photos make me think I should consider adding one. It would be helpful to show them to get input from others since harvest day is always a trick for newbies. Plus, I just took a bunch of sample leaves last night to scope and I'm seeing some interesting things regarding the clear/milky/amber ratio. I'll have to look again and take notes on plants and locations to better hone my thoughts on it.
        Damn, I love those scope shots. Of course, the other photos are great as well.

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        MadMike I actually am taking those with my phone camera looking through the microscope. A USB scope would be easier, but this seems to work

• LRC420ROWER
        LRC420ROWER commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow those ladies look frosty I could just imagine the smell

New Time Lapse!
      27 Days, 2 frames per day. I can't do more frames for file size reasons (had to compress these significantly)
      Flower Days 23-49. (adds one week to earlier time lapse and brings us up to 45 minutes ago)
      3 different speeds 50ms/frame, 100ms/frame, and 200ms/frame
      I will post these in their own thread later today, but wanted to post them here first!
      Let me know how you think they're growing

Comment

• Donny061
        Donny061 commented
        Editing a comment
        In the 3rd photo I swear there is a cola that just comes out of nowhere near the end of the loop to dominate everything lol. I don't see it then suddenly it's there pushing others out of the way lol.

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        Donny061
        Yeah, when I prop them up or when they fall down it looks like they disappear or show up out of nowhere. Are you looking at just left of center frame? can you see what day it appears?
        All 3 gifs are the same, just different speeds, watch it in slow speed... The captions are wrong re speed but its slow to fast - left to right
        Last edited by Campesino; 02-24-2018, 01:33 AM.

• Donny061
        Donny061 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally I had only looked at the last picture which I think is the fastest. It just caught my eye was all. I think it's around f42 ish over on the left near what seems to be an opening.

Looking good!

Flower Day 49:
      Some Close-ups
      How many days until they're done? Still cruising through a 63 day timeline, but prepared to adjust. I am thinking that the GG4s are not all going to be ready at the same time. The first picture is the less mature plant. All opinions welcome!
      Last edited by Campesino; 02-24-2018, 07:08 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• MadMike
        MadMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I 'think' they still have a ways to go. Maybe 3 weeks+??? Love to hear what others think.
        When you see mine, I think I'm ahead of you -- for stress reasons I think -- but I still think I have 3 weeks to go. Who knows?

Campesino May I ask if you are overall happy with using 7 gallon bags and having 6 plants in your 4x4? Do you think the 7 gallons are important for autos? Would 5 limit their growth potential? I'm still buying some bits and pieces and will need to get some soon. Thanks

Comment

• Donny061
        Donny061 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also wanted to say I'm excited to see what your yield will be

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, Donny061 remember mine are manifolds, so certainly take up the space. I would not have been able to make it work out the way I did without extensive supercropping as well. With LST you can do a lot, but you will likely have a smaller footprint than a manifold, so you will have an easier time. That said, you'll be fine with 4 plants too.

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        I should start a Yield guess post where all can weigh in. I'll try to put some informative photos and the relevant information to make informed guesses.
        Honestly, I try not to think about it too carefully. But visually it certainly looks like it will take me a while to smoke!

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X