Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bartholomew's 2nd Grow - First time with coco & drip feed system

Happy new year!

I’m Starting my second Grow and need a bit of help figuring out The drip system schedule.

Strains are Dutch Passion 10x Auto Mazar and 7x Auto Ultimate, 2x Big Bang Auto by Greenhouse Seeds, 1x Auto Kush by Seedsman .
    Real scrog not just skeletal support WITHOUT topping/fimming. I might defoliate.

SETUP
    9x 20L (5gal) fabric pots, 3x 20L Air pot, 1x 18L Smart pot, 7x 16L fabric pots
    CANNA Coco Professional Plus 100% no perlite, buffered to 5.8pH
    CANNA Coco A+B and all CANNA additives + Sensi cal mag
    2x 600W HPS + 1000W HPS 24\0 light schedule.
    Drip feed system run to waste 1000L/h pump with jet distributor x20
    Maxi jet wave 2000 reservoir circulation pump
    100L Flexi tank
    2 oscillating fans
    Heater with fan
    RO filter
    Portable air conditioner
    Portable dehumidifier

This is my first time on coco and drip feed system. Previous Grow was soil hand watered and bag seeds, needless to say never start your first Grow with bag seeds.
    So my question to you all is How should I time The drip system? Is there a good schedule out there that you could point me to? Can I pull off The whole Grow with one setting? Probably not.

What is The reccommended ph range? What about ppm? Regarding ppm, I Got an ec/tds meter with adjustable BETA and CONV, are these important? If I’m not wrong then BETA is set to 1.9 and CONV 0.5. Tried googling, died.
    All tips and tricks and Hints and warnings are much appreciated.
    Sorry If I’m being lazy.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Bartholomew; 03-08-2018, 04:17 PM.
    Current grow:

Dutch Passion 10x Auto Mazar and 7x Auto Ultimate, 2x Big Bang Auto by Greenhouse Seeds, 1x Auto Kush by Seedsman

SETUP

20L, 18L & 16L fabric pots, 20L Air pots
    Coco 100%
    Drip feed system run to waste

First and current journal: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...th-drip-system

Ah forgot to mention, heat isn’t an issue, drawing fresh winterish air from outside.
    Current grow:

Dutch Passion 10x Auto Mazar and 7x Auto Ultimate, 2x Big Bang Auto by Greenhouse Seeds, 1x Auto Kush by Seedsman

SETUP

Coco 100%

First and current journal: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...th-drip-system

Comment

bumpedy bump
      Current grow:

SETUP

Coco 100%

Comment

Bartholomew I use a gravity drip system to water while im gone. I find that a hose end timer works great. You can set it for a variety of cycles and durations. I hooked mine up to a 20 gal plastic tub which acts as my reservoir. As for watering times, this is totally dependent on the age of your plants. Young ones need little, veg stage quite a bit more and flowering a little less. When my plants are small I use one dripper and set it for 10 minutes every other day. When they are growing fast, 20 minutes every third day from two drippers, etc. You will have to do some experimenting but it can be done. Good luck !!!
        Organic only soil grower
        Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
        Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

Wow, that sounds nice. You could easily start small and add as your plant asked for it.
          Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Regarding ppm, with a conversion rate 0.5, how high total ppm is acceptable for seedlings?
            Current grow:

SETUP

Coco 100%

Comment

Regarding ph. Most folks try to keep it about 6.5-7. Regarding total dissolved solids (tds). This varies quite a bit from water type to water type. Mine is quite hard (high tds), coming from a well, but we soften it for household use. Tds doesnt strictly determine ph but has a lot to do with correcting it. Tds act as a buffering agent, so sometimes your corrective measures dont do much until you have overcome the buffering effect. If you believe you have a problem, then go with distilled water from the grocery store. It will have no tds.
              Organic only soil grower
              Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

Canyon Grower Thanks for the reply! Question regarding cal mag. My tap water is from a well and is around 360 ppm, should I add cal mag? How often should I add cal mag and how much? The bottle says 2 ml per Litre.
                It has been just over a week since seeds went into cubes. All of them germinated successfully and they're starting to grow a second set of true leaves. The true leaves seem to be a bit light in tone.
                Current grow:

SETUP

Coco 100%

Comment

A few Pics of The plants and room, sorry for the bad lighting
                  Last edited by Bartholomew; 01-12-2018, 01:13 AM.
                  Current grow:

SETUP

Coco 100%

Comment

In my system I have two reservoirs: one filled with RO water and one filled with nutes. I feed them nutes every three days. I made my irrigation system using 1/2" vinyl tubing with drippers, and a small submersible pump. Any runoff is evaporated thanks to my inline fan and the dehumidifier. When the plants are juvenile I turn on the irrigation system and turn it off when each plant has received approximately 250mL. I figured the timing by measuring how much time it takes for each dripper to dispense 250mL. Then I just use the average time. When they are big, I feed them 500mL of nutes and 250mL of RO water.

As for pH try to keep it between 5.5 and 6.0. Keep EC between 1.5mS and 2.1mS. If you're using tap water, you'll find yourself diluting the nutrient solution a lot to lower the EC. I don't have this problem because I have a RO filter. As for ppm, the higher it is, the more the pH of your solution will rise and you'll keep adjusting the pH of your reservoir. Again, I don't have this problem, thanks to my RO filter.
                    Last edited by Therocketsurgeon; 01-12-2018, 01:45 AM. Reason: forgot some details

Comment

Therocketsurgeon Thanks for the insight! I'm thinking about getting a RO filter, not sure yet if I need it. The water EC is around 0.72 right now or 360 PPM.
                      Current grow:

SETUP

Coco 100%

Comment

• Therocketsurgeon
                        Therocketsurgeon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I highly recommend it! It'll make your job a lot easier. I also forgot to mention that all of my plants are in pot elevators. This way, they won't sit in water. You can use some bricks or something similar as an elevator

• Bartholomew
                        Bartholomew commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Noted! Thanks

Hey Bartholomew, I don't know nothin about drain to waste ,but if your growing in coco you need to wash your coco in PHwater an cal-mag.
                      Use cal-mag in every water
                      ps- that's a nice grow set-up ,you ought to do good with that. Plus your gonna like coco better I bet after you use it.
                      Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 01-12-2018, 03:57 AM.
                      Cfls for a week or two
                      315lec for everything else
                      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                      36x36x63 inch tent.
                      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                      Smart pots
                      Molasses
                      Autoflowers

Comment

• Bartholomew
                        Bartholomew commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oops, didnt do Any washing, just planted root riot cubes in coco After I could see Roots growing through the cubes and watered with correct ph. After that fed every other watering with canna start and rhizotonic. Hope it wont cause problems.

Edit: Canna Coco substrate is already washed and buffered. Just No cal mag.
                        Last edited by Bartholomew; 01-12-2018, 05:12 AM. Reason: Did some research.

Are The lighter spots normal for seedling leaves? You can see them in the pictures of my previous post
                      Current grow:

SETUP

Coco 100%

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                        D.A.A.S.69 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You need to use cal-mag with coco or your likely to have problems, use it every water.
                        Read Nebulas advice on coco and you'll see.
                        It's very important.

• Bartholomew
                        Bartholomew commented
                        Editing a comment
                        D.A.A.S.69 could you link me to The advice. I’ve read about coco But never stumbled upon The part where it says to use it with every watering.
                        Edit: Nevermind Got it!
                        Last edited by Bartholomew; 01-12-2018, 03:13 PM. Reason: Found it.

• ZigZag
                        ZigZag commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah The Cal/Mag is really important for coco. I wash my coco+/mixture medium well before I use it. But when I haven't done that in the past and found I was having nutrient deficiencies because they weren't getting enough Cal/Mag I fixed it by flushing them really well with 6.0 water and Cal/Mag as D.A.A.S.69 said. I use Advanced nutrients PH perfect for coco works really well for me but you still need to add the Cal/Mag to make the best of everything.

Bartholomew Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Im a soil grower and hence dont use coco as a grow medium. Therefore I know just about nothing regarding nutes, especially cal mag. I would follow DAAS' advice on these issues. Good luck!
                      Organic only soil grower

Comment

• Bartholomew
                        Bartholomew commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No problem, thanks anyways!

Day 12 from seed. The one in The upper left corner is growing slower than The rest. It took It’s time with germinating. Put new seeds in cubes yesterday. 7 Auto Ultimates, 1 Auto Mazar, 1 Auto Kush and 2 Big Bang Autos.
                      Got somekind of stray sprout growing beside one of The plants, weird. Gonna Wait and see What it is, maybe Got Lucky with a double seed, who knows lol.

It seems that The plants have somekind of problem, seeing The light spots on leaves. Any ideas?

Temp is between 21C - 26C and Humidity 35%. Lights are 1000W + 600W HPS @ 1.7m right now, between 20 000 - 30 000 lux. Runoff pH 6.0.
                      Last edited by Bartholomew; 01-14-2018, 05:44 PM.
                      Current grow:

SETUP

Coco 100%

Comment

• Therocketsurgeon
                        Therocketsurgeon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Are you using all of your lights currently? Looks like the leaves have a mottled chlorosis pattern. Are the veins green? If so, its a magnesium deficiency. Your plants's roots probably need to grow longer to access more magnesium. Are you using 100% coco? or a soil mix? A pH of 6.5 is ideal for soil.

• Bartholomew
                        Bartholomew commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Therocketsurgeon using 1600W currently. The veins are light green. 100% coco. I’ve been using cal mag for The Past week, 20ml per 10L. Does The patern go away once The deficieny is fixed or It stays?

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X