No announcement yet.

Cronk's 1st Grow - 315 CMH and Coco - Strains are Candida (CD-1) & Jack Herrer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cronk's 1st Grow - 315 CMH and Coco - Strains are Candida (CD-1) & Jack Herrer

I'm going to keep a journal here, mostly for myself but also hopefully to get help along the way bt this great bunch of growers

My setup is:

39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
    Sunshine Advanced Ultra Coco Coir medium w/ extra Mother Earth Charged Coco
    -Mother Earth will be mixed into final 5 gallon pot mix
    Sensi Grow Ph Perfect (A/B)
    Sensi Bloom Ph Perfect (A/B) for later

Here are my new seedlings. These are 2-3 days old. The light is about 40+ inches above and the temp is around 80 degrees.

After seedlings grow another few days I'll lower the temp to around 75-78 F.

Light is 18/6. Light will be lowered a few inches for every few days of growth if strong and fast. If slow I'll lower it slower. I'm a but unsure about this technically but I think it;s a wait and see kind of thing...don't burn them, don;t get too hot

Watering at this stage seems touchy to me. I don;t want to drown them so young and I don;t want them to dry out. My pots are still heavy with water and the soil coco feels moist on top, a bit more wet an inch down. I'll just keep an eye on how fast it dries out.

my nute mix says 1 ml/L both A & B for seedlings. I went half that much. there's a schedule for seedlings, small plants, adult plants http://www.advancednutrients.com/pro...row-parts-a-b/

I had the seedling heating pad underneath them but my laser was reading near 100 F in spots on the surface. Not sure if that accurate but I turned it off just in case.

Now I just wait
    Seedlings #1 Fem.
3x Candida (CD-1)
2x Jack Herrer
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    Automatic top feed into coco.
    Mega Crop nutes

Here's my exhaust setup.

I was running the fan and closing the tent to draw in air to cool but temps were at 80 F. I opened up the tent and I'm letting the heat dissipate naturally. It's kind of warm in here.

I don't think atmosphere matters at this point so i may leave the tent open for a few weeks and lower the temp in my space. I do like that the tent is all sealed up to keep dust and general crap out.
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't like to nit pick, but you've misspelled Jack's name. It is spelled Herer. For pronunciation you can learn it correctly about 2 minutes into this video. https://youtu.be/YDRP7rv8ZXc

• Cronk
      Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, thanks. just going by the info used to purchase, it's what they call it
      https://www.seedsman.com/en/jack-herrer-feminised

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah they are British. What do they know? They still have a queen. A good seed company though. They offer "Jack Herrer" as a freebie.

Sounds like your ready, the biggest problems with seedlings is they don't like much water at all.
    When i water my seedlings I only water in a little circle around the seedling and only give them a couple of teaspoons of water, they don't like to stay in water, seems to me they grow much faster when the roots are searching for water, also makes a stronger plant than a seedling with its roots sitting in water.
    Good Luck
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• Cronk
      Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      I do feel that I am watering them a bit too much out of fear of drying them out. I think I'll adjust as i get the hang

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah don't give them any more water till almost completely dry, and then only very little until they start growing real good.
      They are pretty, and you are going to do great, you just have to be very careful with seedlings, they are very fragile, especially when it comes to water.

Watering seedlings is one aspect of cannabis cultivation where a mistake is hard to recover from. Be careful !
    Organic only soil grower
    Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
    Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      *overwatering

noted, you guys. thanks
    luckily it's warm in here and I can add heat if needed to dry out a bit What would you say is the top temp I should let it get to? I was thinking no higher than 85 for the seedlings, maybe closer to 80 F
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• Cronk
      Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm at 38% humidity now. not sure how to raise it. maybe it will help dry out a little as is

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      That ought to be ok, but ideally you want 50-60percent, 40 you can get by with, you can put wet - damp towels in your tent if you have to, once they start growing pretty good you want have to worry so much, but it will slow the growth of them if it stays low.
      You want low humidity for flowering an higher humidity for seedlings.

• Cronk
      Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for that info DAAS

ok, I posted then deleted the post but still wondering

I'm shopping for a fan for the tent and find a few that have air purifiers built it. This one os too small but this idea....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7TRMGI...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Is there any value to using this sort of thing to help with air quality and keeping the chance of mold and other problems from occurring?
    Last edited by Cronk; 11-20-2017, 03:09 PM.
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Morning, I don't see what it could hurt and it might do some good,
      I just use a tower fan from Walmart in my tent and it does a good job.
      As long as you have a nice little breeze blowing across you leaves you ought not have a mold problem, not a steady breeze in one spot, but going back an forth breeze.
      Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 11-20-2017, 03:19 PM.

(more notes for myself)

day 3 of seedlings. I had thought that the growth was slow due to over watering but I hadn't watered since first post and now I see some good growth. The pots are still quite moist and I think the little starter biscuits in the center are too dense. If it was all coco and no biscuit I think they're be growing a little faster. never use the biscuits again

I raised the lights even more, maybe 5 feet above.

temp is consistently around 80 F. I should give it a full week before I worry that they are slow. color seems good. original goal was to replant in bigger pots at two weeks then think about topping but I don't think I'll have that kind of growth by then

we'll see
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• Cronk
      Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      was thinking that if they were slow that they could stand to seek more light. I didn't realize they looked like they were stretching. good think I posted

I lowered the light for the time being to just below 40"

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, no need to rush them. You're on their timetable for now. They look nice and healthy, do don't sweat it too much. Remember, you don't have to shoot for boom buds your first grow!

• Cronk
      Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks.

Your doing fine Cronk, you need to get your light lower now, if you got it 40 now, you can go way lower now, every day or 2 you have to. go lower with your light to keep them from stretching like Aloner says.
    They are probably used to the light now and you can probably even set 24 inches above your seedlings without hurting them, you just have to watch em real close, and if it's harming them raise it back up a little. You just don't want them to stretch to bad.
    Bring it on down to about 24 inches an watch em close.
    When they are flowering you can even go a little closer. When you lower it they will quit stretching, an they aren't even stretching to bad at all now.
    Cfls for a week or two
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• Cronk
      Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks.

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      You are welcome

last night seemed dry enough to water a bit. I started nutrients but very diluted. 1/2 the recommended seedling strength. 1/2 ml per liter

growth seems to be going well but I'm still not sure on how often/much to water. The light was lowered to 24" above last night, no damage this morning that I can see.

not sure about the color of this seedling, seems pale.
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    Mega Crop nutes

Comment

If she was mine I wouldn't give her any more than half a cup of water every 2-3 days, seedlings do not need much water! You can always add water, once you overwater a seedling you can count on slow growth. Or either drowning her.
      Read Nebulas articles on how to water seedlings.
      Cfls for a week or two
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• Cronk
        Cronk commented
        Editing a comment
        This was the first watering since my first post. I gave them maybe a 1/4 cup each. don't know what I'm struggling with the water so much so early. I read that post, good info

thanks, just need to get comfortable with them. lots of doubts at first. probably cause I really need this to work out, which I'm sure it will

• PRIMO
        PRIMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't worry about drying out too much, if they need water they will let you know. wait til you see the leaves get a little droopy, then add your half cup of water in a circle around it like D-69 said. They'll perk right back up. And that tower fan will give all the air movement you need plus if the tents open it'll blow the excess heat right out.

Your exactly right, just takes a little time, but seedlings are easy to damage.
      It want be long and you can start watering normally. The roots are growing down right now, in a few days you'll see the seedling start growing up an faster.after it gets established.
      It is really easy after you get used to it.
      Just don't stress about anything, your gonna do great.
      Cfls for a week or two
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Hey Cronk , sorry I'm so late to the game dude....... but it looks like you have been in safe hands with D.A.A.S.69 and the others, I know you are using ph perfect nutes, but do you check your ph at all?...looks like you are doin great....before next time you start off, there is a tutorial by a grower called santacabrera on GWE, he pre-waters his medium thoroughly in the pots....plants the seeds and covers the pots with cling film and puts them in his tent to keep warm, I used this germination method but with a little dome, works pretty well.
        The more I know, the better I grow.

Comment

• Cronk
          Cronk commented
          Editing a comment
          hey, Vapo. yes I test the water before I use it. tests right so far.
          getting great help here by all these fine folks, yourself included
          thanks

one last thing for the day, hopefully week.

my laser thermo shows temp at the soil surface and plant leaves at low to mid 90's F. Atmosphere is proper at 71-80 depending on air flow. The light seems to be heating up the plants and pots but the air remains safe.

is this a problem? should I back the lights off?
        complete beginner
        39" x 39" x 78" tent
        315 Watt CMH
        Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          If it looks like it's harming them ,then yes raise it back up 4-6 inches , that's why I was saying you have to each em close with that light. Your doing great you caught that.

these are about 10 days in. Growth speed is increasing slightly but I think I'm still over-watering. I waited until it felt pretty dry an inch down but not bone dry like the top of the coco. it felt cool and a bit damp.

I then watered about 3/4 cup each. that was this morning...tonight I see a little drooping and curling------- in the photos.

I guess I'll let them dry out and do it again but with less water. maybe wait until they feel more dry an inch down. This stage is really messing with me. it seems so easy but these seedlings are very touchy and getting the right amount of water is tougher than I thought.

I don't see any light damage. there was a bit of water run off that tested pH at around 5. kind of low
        complete beginner
        39" x 39" x 78" tent
        315 Watt CMH
        Mega Crop nutes

Comment

Hey Cronk, seedlings can be tricky, when you first start, but that's what we been trying to tell you, don't overwater.
          You gotta let em dry out.
          Cfls for a week or two
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

• Cronk
            Cronk commented
            Editing a comment
            what can I say, I'm a hard case.

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            You ain't no more hard head than I am, I got you beat by a long ways.That's what slows em down, your gonna catch on.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X