Coco, LED Attic Grow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coco, LED Attic Grow

Hi everyone, I’ve always grown inside with soil and FF nutrients. Thanks to GWE, grows have been great but I’ve battled fungus gnats every grow. I’ve read everything I can find on gnats and tried every remedy but I’ve only managed to control them, never really destroyed them. I’m convinced that they come in the soil and love my grow room!
    Anyhow, I decided to try Coco and see if that helps with the gnats. So far, so good…

Setup:
    4X4 Gorilla Tent
    5 Gallon Smart Pots with MagJo Naturals Coco
    California Light Works SolarStorm 440 LED (350 Watt draw)
    GH Nutrients and Calimagic; Great White Mychorrizae
    Tap water PH around 7.4; target after mixing nutrients and supplements about 5.8
    Tent is in an attic with a small Central Air vent, but not strong enough to cool whole space
    Portable AC and 70 pint Dehumidifier to control environment later in the summer (I plan on flowering in Aug and Sept)

Changes this grow:
    Coco instead of soil; GH instead of FF Trio; Rapid Rooters instead of soil for germination
    Rapid Rooters were planted directly into final 5 Gal Smart Pots instead of 2-3 transplants in past grows

Plan: Will top once, maybe twice, then LST and scrog

Progress to date:
    Prepared Coco while germinating seeds; rinsed several times in tap water, then filled 5 Gal containers and watered with Tap water PH’d to 5.8; let sit for a few days to dry
    June 8 – Nirvana Wonder Woman, AK48 and Master Kush (all photoperiod) in Rapid Rooters, in propagator
    June 11 – All 3 popped and in tent with light @ about 30”
    June 12 to June 25 – Followed GWE GH nutrient schedule; feed, water, feed – about two days between
    Thanks everyone for all your posts and sharing of knowledge. Couldn’t do it without you!

Questions regarding Coco:
    1. When should I water / feed to runoff? In week 3 from seed, I have yet to feed or water entire pot; a few ounces for seedlings, increasing gradually as plant grows; basically watering to plants drip line only, so medium outside of the canopy remains dry
    2. Coco growers: Is it OK to feed, water, feed with a couple of days in between? Some growers advise to feed to runoff everyday but I prefer to let medium dry a bit between waterings

4X4 Gorilla with Solar Storm 440 LED. Coco / perlite, 5 Gallon fabric containers. LST and scrog. Grows to date all Indica Dominant Hybrids

2018 Grow Journal Here -->> (Blackjack, Super Skunk, Critical CBD)

2017 Grow Journal Here -->> (AK 48, Wonder Woman, Master Kush)

I have been using a Hot Shot no pest strip to control them and spider mites only in veg.
    I seal room for 24 to 48 hour
    hang strip
    wait
    after time is over turn on exaust fan till room clears
    all bugs dead
    the fumes ar harmful to humans as well
    i put mine into a ziplock bag to use again it's good for up to 4 mounths
    i saved it,but it's been over a year since than with no problems so far
    seemed to work for me......lol

Comment

yeah, that is one I haven't tried yet, but I'll keep it in mind if they go after my plants in Coco . Hopefully I won't have to. We shall see
      4X4 Gorilla with Solar Storm 440 LED. Coco / perlite, 5 Gallon fabric containers. LST and scrog. Grows to date all Indica Dominant Hybrids

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Sheesh, I used Gnatrol mixed into my reservoir water for the gnats below and larvae and yellow strips above in the grow box; I knocked em out in a couple of weeks. The Gnatrol is not toxic, though it comes with a lot of required warnings.

Hey Sheesh, how ya doing? I just made the switch to coir myself w/ @30% perlite. 1 aurora indica 1 Wonder Woman 1 blue cheese 1 Girl Scout cookies. Sowed on the 13th. Popped in solo cups on the 15th. Transplanted to 3 gallon fiber pots on the 24th and given first feed GH trio. PH 5.5 water on 26th. Water passing thru is fast. With coir I feel I'm going to be watering more often Seems to be every two to three days. At this rate I'm worried about over feeding rather that over watering. Lift the pot method. Sheesh I've been Wonder the same thing tho. Should I feed once a week no mater how often I may need to water? Or should I stick to feeding schedule of every other watering? I'm worried about increased water schedule causing excessive nutrients. Good question. Curious to what other growers opinions would be. However girls are growing fast and very healthy. Looks like our grows will finish about the same time. Like to check back with you and compare our Wonder Woman strain my friend. 👍
      5.5x8.5x7. 600w mh/hps. 440fan/carbon filter.
      FF soil/course perlite @25%. FF trio big bloom, grow, tiger bloom. PH w/ nutes@6.5.
      Four Green Crack fem. 7 gallon fiber pots.
      1 PKAF. 1 BCF. In 3 gallon fiber pots.
      Sowed 3-27-17. 12/12 light 5-7-17.
      Harvest PKAF 5-30-17 @ 43 grams
      Harvest one of four GC 7-9-17. Weight at time unknown. Will follow.

Comment

• Sheesh
        Sheesh commented
        Editing a comment
        sounds like a plan. I will try to post updates. Good Luck!

• Beach_Town_Brit
        Beach_Town_Brit commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been growing coco for a while now and I've found myself watering less more often. I tend to give a 3 gall pot 1/2 a gallon each feed (never do plain water) but feed as often and once a day when they're stretching or fattening I aim to feed every time the pot hits 50% dry judged by lifting the pot.

5 days after the photos above, I see leaf discoloration just starting to develop on Master Kush (first picture) and maybe a little on the AK48 (second picture).So far my schedule has been feed, water, feed; 2 days between and I’ve only watered to the drip line. I avoided wetting the entire medium while the plant is small and young.

They are all at 5 nodes now and 2 nights ago I gave them ½ gallon each of water with mycorrhizae. I haven’t been using Cal-Mag with the watering’s, but I use Cal-Mag with each feeding. 24 hours later they have grown substantially and I see leaf discoloration just starting to develop on Master Kush and maybe a little on the AK48. So, last night I gave them about 1 quart each of week 3 feeding from the GWE GH schedule.

Should I be feeding / watering to runoff at this point? Does it look like they are low in N and Mag? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Comment

Welcome to the world of coco. I did have some- not too bad tho - gnats but I just hung the yellow sticky cards about the area & it worked just fine.
        the calimag is important to each feed. 9fingers says to add it to the nutrient mix first- then the micro then the flora, then the flower...I have added it after the initial three but will try it first next time. Assuming you are pHing to 6-6.1 after all is mixed I will question the discolor in to: your feeding schedule? And volume? Personally I prefer to feed and drain to waste about 10% ( of what goes in) & of course remove the waste. In my circumstances the feed happens maybe every 5th -6th day at that stage of growth. I only use the calimag ( 2.5 MLB) and the suggested feed chart my GWE plus terminator. No extra additions. 1 gal should give you drain. You will quickly get to 1.5 gal .
        I do not flush at all until the end at harvest time. So- in my opinion YES - you should be draining now with attention to not over feeding/ watering.
        one other thing : I like SmartPot brand fabric pots- specifically the black ones. I think other brands are thicker and denser in their weave making draining & air a bit more difficult so the coco stays wetter longer. Just my HMO.
        Last edited by Tika; 07-01-2017, 02:16 PM.
        Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
        Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
        GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
        photoperiod feminized seeds
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

• Sheesh
          Sheesh commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the advice Tika. Too late to switch containers, IMO but next time I'll buy the brand names. I add Cal-Mag last too, maybe I'll try 9fingers method. PH is about 5.8 after all nutrients and supplements. Right now I'm on feed, water, feed with two days between. What I have not done is wet the entire medium. These plants were half the size a week ago and I was concerned about over watering since I went from Rapid Rooters straight to 5 Gal containers. I am going to feed / water to runoff from here on out and think I'm adding Cal-Mag to the water cycles for a while. I've only been using cal-Mag on feed cycle to date. Oh yeah, I use the GWE GH schedule with no additions.
          Last edited by Sheesh; 07-01-2017, 04:09 PM.

• Tika
          Tika commented
          Editing a comment
          Consider: if your pH is good ( I still like 6) not plain watering every other time once you get to drain off/ waste. I have quit the plain water routine for 2 years now and don't have issues with over feeding. Just a thought for your grow bonnet

• Sheesh
          Sheesh commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you saying feed every time or just no plain water? Cal-Mag with feed and Cal-Mag with water? Thanks again for your advice. It's a tricky change, I just need to figure out the watering cycle.

Again my opinion : the main reason for plain pHed water with or with out calimag per the instructions is to help novice growers not over feed/ burn their plants.
        We are feeding half strength as it is and with drain to waste much goes down the sink. IF your pH is a good solid, your nutes are measured correctly, lights & air good, one should be fine. If there was a nute burn then I would flush but have not had to. The only time I plain pH water ( now with calimag is at transplant.)
        yes, you rooted in the 5 gal with rooters but you seem to have managed that hurdle wonderfully. IF you feel better in your first drain to waste in the 5 gal pots just using water/calimag is pH ed I don't see any harm in that But once into your full feed- drain to waste schedule I would feed each time - no plain.
        Completing my 4th week in flower I am seeing nute burn on tips of leaves. I am pushing my Liquid Kool Bloom more than in the past but still within range . Still not worried.
        as always it comes down to watching your plants also I know Green75 with his Emerald Harvest nutrients does a wash each 3rd feed. But he has the full line in feed at full tilt..pretty sure.
        Sorry to be so long in the mouth
        Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
        Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
        GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
        photoperiod feminized seeds
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

• Sheesh
          Sheesh commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the clarification. I may start with feed, feed, water (w/ Cal-Mag) and go from there. Topping soon too so they need to be healthy.

• Sheesh
          Sheesh commented
          Editing a comment
          Just went to check the GH online feeding schedule and I found a blurb that confirms what 9fingers said (look at the second bullet):
          Which comes first, Armor Si or CALiMAGic?
          • When using both Armor Si and CALiMAGic,
          add Armor Si to the reservoir first.
          • When using Armor Si and/or CALiMAGic, with Flora Series,
          these products should be added prior to adding FloraMicro.

Pictures show the 3 plants topped after three weeks under lights. I took a little risk topping while last week's nutrient deficiency is still showing on the Master Kush. I'm convinced the discolored leaves are last week's news and they are responding to more feed (thanks @Tika).

Sorry about the poor photo under LED...These pictures are before and after topping (after a full feeding)

Comment

• berrypilot
          berrypilot commented
          Editing a comment
          🌱 How are they doing now? 🌱

• Sheesh
          Sheesh commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Berry, they are doing well with more feeding. I will post pictures tonight after work and thanks for asking!

Great start Sheesh I will be watching your grow log for sure .Also want to know how the high CBD strains go .
        I've got a friend that tried the high CBD low THC oil and said it really relaxed his back and strained muscles within minutes and no couch lock high .
        But I am à indica man myself the Sativa's wire me out bad so I stay with indica prominent strains .
        Currently use 2 gal bubbleponics tank
        Using 150 Watt HPS
        Trying 300 watt LED
        General Hydro Nutes ,reg and organic
        Small 23" x 21" area

Comment

Day 30 update: Topped all three one week ago. Been tweaking my nutrient strength and feeding schedule over the past ten days and the plants are growing well with good color. Super sensitive to lack of nutrient. I've actually increased strength and frequency. I'm now at 3/4 of the GH Floratrio online schedule. I had been on the GWE 1/2 schedule originally but had deficiencies consistently. I feed, feed, water with no drying time (at least at this stage in the grow). I use Cal-Mag and Hydroguard every day (feed and water). Fairly aggressive defoliation two days ago and the plants are back and bushy again already. I've raised my light to 28" to try to increase internode distance. These plants are compressed to the point that I'm starting to wonder when it will hit the scrog net. Higher humidity is coming soon too so I need some space in there! I expect it to take off over the next two weeks (knock on wood), so I can get in there for more LST and start filling the scrog. Anyhow, thanks for all the help and tips. Going decent in first Coco run.
          First pic is pile o leaves my GF took two days ago. Second pic is today. Top left is AK48, Top right is Master Kush, Bottom is Wonder Woman (most finicky of the bunch so far)
          Last edited by Sheesh; 07-12-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• Sheesh
            Sheesh commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you berrypilot! Exactly my theory. The light is strong and I think the plants are growing so quickly I need closer to full strength nutrients. I bought a PPM meter and calibration solution and my initial readings show 900 ppm for everything (my tap water, Cal-Mag, Hydroguard and the three nutrients in the GH Floratrio). So, I look up PPM levels and 900 is about as high as they should ever be fed! Can't argue with the plants though. 7-10 days ago they were struggling, now they are much better so I'm sticking with it for now.

• berrypilot
            berrypilot commented
            Editing a comment
            🌱 One thing to keep about PPM is that *what* the PPMs are made of makes a difference. You could have muddy water, which could have 2000 PPM, but would never hurt your plants because it's just mud. But 500 PPM worth of chemical nutrients can kill your plants because they are so easily absorbed by the roots. So when thinking about PPMs, just remember that everyone's water, nutrients, setup and grow style are different! I am a believer that you should listen to your plants and take what people on the internet say with a grain of salt! 🌱

• Sheesh
            Sheesh commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey berry, I spoke too soon. Slight nute burn started two nights ago. Flushed with ph water yesterday and will use water + Cal-mag and Hydroguard tonight. Then, back to 1/2 strength for a while. I think I need to stabilize then go to Floratrio one night and water + supplements the next. I've been doing feed, feed, water with no rest days (not much runoff with feed, decent runoff with water). Thing is, every feed includes Cal-Mag and Hydroguard, pushing PPM high. Need to stop combining everything on feed days. I find coco tougher than soil, at least my first try. Really need to be on top of the schedule, not much room for error.

Day 37 update: Walking the coco feed / ppm tightrope but hanging in there. The plants are so low nodes so tight it's hard to water and defoliate. They still have 3-5 inches to get to the scrog and I'm over a month into veg. I think I have an idea of why this grow is slower to the screen than all my soil grows. When I topped, I trained the 2nd nodes at a sharp angle and they loved it. They are practically parallel to the medium, only a couple of inches off the medium. Then, I hit deficiencies, followed by a bit of nute burn. Slowed the plant down for a couple of weeks. They are healthy now but I'm timid about defoliation, just taking a few leaves a day but they are still bushy. Anyhow, I expect growth to continue and then I can start weaving in the net and think about flipping to flower.

The leaf is the AK48, then it's Master Kush, AK48 and Wonder Woman single shots. Finally the setup, showing the scrog net waiting for some branches!

Comment

• Beach_Town_Brit
            Beach_Town_Brit commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll admit my watering schedule is sort of 50% for the plant and 50% for my convenience
            I make a gallon of nutes at a time and on the first feed of that batch I water till I get some drips out of the bottom of the pot then I store the remainder nute solution which I feed her in the next day or so. Now that I'm moving to two plants at each stage of my perpetual I'm just gonna scale up and make 2 gals of nute solution at a time but keeping the same approach -- feed half, save half.
            I think ultimately it's kinda personal, you find what works best for your grow style and your unique environment. This said, feeding more regularly makes bigger plants in my experience.

• Tika
            Tika commented
            Editing a comment
            Q @BTB: In storing/ saving your nutrients..do you check the pH the next day?
            Q @Sheesh: How far is your light above canopy?

• Sheesh
            Sheesh commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Tika, my veg range is 18-36, for bloom it's 16-24, according to the light manufacturer. This run, I had the light at 30 for a week or so while they were seedlings. Then I went to 24", which where I usually stay for veg. I went from 24 up to 28 at week 3 or so, thinking I need to encourage the plants to stretch a little. The light remains at 28" still.

Day 40 update: Today it was time to clean these bushes up. I've been concerned with their growth rate and it seems they didn't like defoliation last time around but I'm thinking it may have been more my under / over feeding stretch that slowed them down as much as anything else. They are still healthy and there was really no access to water them and air flow was not great. So, I called in the big guns (my girlfriend) and she set them straight. They are still a mile from the net and I'm usually weaving in the scrog by this point in veg but they are cleaned up now and I understand the plant structure again (I can see branches!). I like to veg for 2 months and I'm not sure if I'll fill the scrog in the next two weeks. But they are spread out well for only one topping and the net may end up just supporting colas (with a little luck), I'll try to post more pictures in a couple of days to see how they are taking to the pruning.
          Last edited by Sheesh; 07-22-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a damn good thing you got big guns to call in! ;-} You know, sometimes I have had the feeling during a grow that the genetics of plant A just aren't as great as those of plant B. It amazes me how some plants take off like a racehorse out the gate, and others kind of dawdle around, procrastinate, make excuses, etc.

Of course, if they weren't at the top of their game when you defoled, then they would slow down for a while. I have learned that lesson: unless I see vigorous growth of roots and leaves, I ain't messin with them. Cuz it takes them so much longer to bounce back.

• Sheesh
            Sheesh commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I think these girls are just finicky but I also think they will find their groove in flower. I've always used Nirvana Fem photo seeds and they have always been solid. My setup hasn't failed me yet (knock on wood). My girlfriend is great with all plants and took right to cannabis for the few years we've been at it. I do the majority of the work because she is disabled and it's tough for her to go up two flights to the attic and work on them. But, she does when I need help. I love doing the majority of the work but would be in a tough spot without her. She has the knack to really separate the growth that is going to produce from the parts that will just waste plant energy. Overnight they look good after the pruning so we'll see where they go for the next two weeks then I really need to flip them to 12/12.

Day 42 update: It's 2 days after train and defoliate and they are filling in nicely. I flipped my light from veg to bloom today (I did not go to 12/12). I went on the CLW website and found a recommendation to run bloom mode in late veg. The CLW SS440 has 2 switches: veg or bloom and UVB on or off (only used in late flower). So there is no option to run veg and bloom together. I've never done this in 2.5 years using the light but it makes sense. Start bringing the reds in a couple of weeks before flower. Plus, I'm going from 230W to 320W at the wall and more power is always good. They keep trudging along and still stubborn about reaching the scrog net. I won't be able to remove the plants and take pictures in natural light anymore. We have branches tied off between the pots and to the scrog.

Comment

Day 50 update: Still healthy but looks like not much growth will hit the screen in veg. I'm flipping to 12/12 this weekend. Maybe I will be able to spread them out more during stretch but either way there are some decent flower sites so we shall see how they flower. Defoliating fairly heavily twice a week now. With practically no internode spacing, I'm finding fans leaning on each other enough to make a small wet spot or two. Great to see transpiration in action but wet leaves are worse than less leaves. We'll keep defoliating this week and then follow the GWE flower defoliation guide and go from there. Picture is 36 hours after a fairly heavy defoliation.

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking good, Sheesh! It will be very interesting to watch the stretch.

Day 56 Update: Friday night we did a major defoliation, trying to follow Nebula's Flowering Stage Defoliation Tutorial. Flipped the timer to 12/12 yesterday and also started the GWE GH Transition schedule. Two days since the defoliation and the plants are filling in fast, likely need more pruning soon. This is where I have a concern. The tutorial (and other growers) recommend leaving them alone for the stretch, then do a final major defoliation at about 3 weeks into flower. I think these plants will need pruning this week or I'll have stacked leaves and moisture concerns. NebulaHaze : have you seen this issue? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

1st picture, before trim 2 days ago
            2nd picture, after trim 2 days ago
            3rd picture, today with 2 days of growth
            Last edited by Sheesh; 08-07-2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X