Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mcubed476 Grow Journal - Auto-Flowering Strains with LED Grow Light - 7.57 oz Yield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone! Today marks

Day 29 for the oldest one
    Day 21 for the younger one
    Day 8 for the red Poison

Red Poison is doing great! No problems at all so far, and I noticed it has grown around the same size as my first plant when it was that old.

So before I get into the DWC, a preface:

When I made the tea the first time and used it, I cleaned out the rez but I didn't do much to the roots, which already had some dark roots on it again. In the Heisenberg tea thread, he said if you see a sort of slime on your roots after using the tea not to worry about it and that it won't stunt the new growth. I thought that's what it was, but I believe it was just the root rot that I didn't get rid of. You can see it pretty easily in the pics above when I changed the rez two days ago. That being said...

Today I looked under the hood because I noticed some lower leaves starting to twist like I noticed the first time when root rot had started. The root rot looked worse than it did 2 days ago So this morning I changed the rez out again and cleaned it. I then took the plants and pulled off all the dead roots and rinsed the roots in the sink, doing my best to remove as much of the gunk as I could. The dead roots felt slightly slimy and pulled right off without a problem. However, I ended up pulling off quite a bit in the process so I really anticipated them to look like death when I got home tonight but they actually look healthy still.

This time I believe I did the best I could to make sure everything is in the best possible condition that it can be. I finally moved the air pumps out of the tent so they aren't putting hot air into the rez. I also added the tea, and put some tea in a spray bottle and sprayed the roots really well. Hopefully the root rot will stop coming,

Here's some pics from a few hours ago

Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Back to the drawing board: If all the beneficial bacteria isn't doing the trick, you may want to consider trying a sterile reservoir and GSE--grapefruit seed extract. It is extremely effective at killing algae, etc. I bought GSE powder very cheaply on Amazon and used 1-2 tsp/gal after I had taken my plants out and cleaned the roots like you just did. This was some time after stopping the light leaks.

Once again, what's the temp in the reservoir? And do you check the temp at different times of the day?

ps. PLANTS LOOK GOOD!!! It's a very good thing that you are keeping your eyes peeled.

• Doubledealing72
      Doubledealing72 commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't given up on the Bennie's yet. I'm going to give them this week to make some progress and see what happens because I didn't clean the roots off when I started using the tea.

The sterile route will have to be the path, so I will look into the grapefruit seed extract if it comes back again.

My rez temp hasn't been higher than 73. The tent stays at about 81. I have measured the temp at different points in the day, but it never has risen past 73 in the rez.

Thanks again for the advice allatup! I will continue to stay precariously perched by my plants when I can! They are looking healthy, far healthier than I thought they would be after removing so many roots lol

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      From what I began reading by Heisenberg, there are forms of slime that just don't want to give up the ghost easily. Your plants are growing so they aren't stalled, which is the good news! We just have to stay on top of this shit till we get it totally figured out. I, too, am perched by your plant posts, anxiously awaiting their triumph over slime!!

Hi all! Today is day:

32 for the oldest (I will now refer to this one as Frank)
    24 for the younger one (I will now refer to this one as George)
    11 for the red poison in Coco (I will refer to this one as Red. I know, totally original because I'm awesomely creative 😂😂)

So I transferred red to his final container, a 7 gallon pot. I think I did this way earlier than I should have, but she's in there and she's doing good so far. 7 gallon containers are probably a bit too big for autos, so I will probably go with a 5 gallon next time.
    ​​​​​​
    I also started two more red poisons, after reading the next part you will understand why lol.

So I peeked under the hood again and Frank and George continue to have some dying roots. They also continue to have new healthy looking white root growth, so that's good. Just got done doing a rez change, I suppose what I will have to do is just change the rez every 4 days to keep the rot at minimum. Again, I cleaned out all the dead roots and washed them in the sink. I will continue doing this throughout the rest of the grow if I have to. One thing I didn't do last time was let the roots soak in h2o2 for a little bit, so I will try that again to try and get rid of all of whatever is killing them. I'm aware that rinsing the roots off in the sink will never get rid of whatever is killing them, no matter how much I rinsed them off. I haven't gone the sterile route yet, but I may end up doing that later on.

So, Frank and George aren't very tall. Maybe 5 inches. However, I believe they have started going into flower because I saw what I believe are pistols, right ( the little white wispy hairs)? This makes me happy and sad at the same time because I'm glad they made it this far, but I know my yields will be shit lol. Two days ago, george's fan leaves were huge and covering a lot of the foliage below them from the light, so I picked a few off. George looked extremely sad after that, but is starting to look better. I also topped George the day before that, so I may have done too much too quick.

Throughout this journey so far, I've had highs and lows. I was ecstatic when I saw my first plant pop, and downtrodden when I discovered root rot. I have thought about throwing in the towel and just continuing to buy shitty stuff, but I thought about it this way today:

I have fucked up from the beginning, like almost everything. I had light leaks, wrong totes, root rot, used pH up and down in the same rez, kept looking at the taproots when you should leave them alone. The list goes on, but with every fuck up was a learning experience. I now know so much more of what to do and not to do today than when I started, I can only surmise that I will keep learning with help from everyone here and my own experience.

I have done all this shit to my girls, and they are still alive! They might get sick, but they are still growing every day. This just shows me how strong these plants thirst for life is. By the time my red poisons grow that I just planted, I will be far more knowledgeable about how to grow my stuff, and my yields will be far better than. What I'm going to get off Frank and George. Don't give up people!
    Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Mcubed: Number one, you better hope them plants are girls and not boys!!

Number 2, did you ever try GSE? H2O2 is a very temporary solution at best. It's hard to tell in the pink light, but your roots look good. Can you take a non pink picture of the roots? And sometimes, even tho the roots are ok, they keep a dark color. It doesn't go away.

• Doubledealing72
      Editing a comment
      I do hope they are girls allatup, they were auto feminized after all lol. Maybe I'll call them Francine and Georgina then, just so they aren't gender confused 😂

No I haven't yet, I'll do that when I change the rez on Tuesday. Most if the roots look good. However, there are definitely some darker roots that were slightly slimy and pulled right off when I ran my fingers through them. So I just take the gse mix it with water, and let the roots sit in that, or do I add that to the rez. I'll have to do some research!
    Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      You just add it to the res with nutrients, but no beneficial bacteria or nothing cuz it will kill them. 1-2 tsp. per gallon. Try it: it's a cheap item on Amazon. And make sure that the brown parts get soaked in it.
      Last edited by alltatup; 07-22-2017, 05:32 PM.

• Doubledealing72
      Editing a comment
      Is there anything else I should use in combination with it?

Thanks for the info allatup! I will order some and give it a go!
    Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome. If you are sure there are no more light leaks, I'd definitely give GSE a try. I've read so many different opinions on H2O2, and while I use it to clean my reservoir and sterlize stuff, it's only viable for 24 hours and I've read so many folks who say the rot comes right back.

Shit the plants look good tho so give them credit for trying lmao i like that setup to not bad
    DWC/hydroton clay pellets600w digital/dimmable ballast,
    250w MH veg,400w HPS flowering,floratrio nute schedule ,48*32*60 grow tent,
    current grow: feminized blue wizard
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...c-grow-journal

Comment

alltatup is correct h2o2 is just a cleaning solution, won't help root rot. I gotta say , your plants look fine, I found looking at the roots is a no win situation. I always find something to stress about. In hydro if the tops look bad you can fix it quickly. Watch the leaves and check ph let the roots do their thing. And defiantly GSE. Good for colds too. 😎
      Bubbleponics
      Advanced platinum 450w
      Foxfarms big bloom , tiger bloom , grow big
      hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

• Doubledealing72
        Editing a comment
        You're telling me capn. Every time I see the brown on the roots when I do a rez change it's slightly stressful. I feel like I have munchausen syndrome lol. "Oh my, you're sick, you need this!" 😂😂

I try not to peek under the hood anymore unless I'm checking pH or doing a rez change. I have noticed though that growth seems to slow down about 4 days after a rez change, and I have some leaves that have holes in them, and some others have brownish spots on them. The majority of the leaves look healthy though.

Also, this morning I found a small spider in my tent. I wish I had snapped a pic of it, I'm not sure if it was just a small spider or if it was a spider mites. That's another thing that I've been paranoid about lately. I'm thinking it may have been too big to be a spider mite, but I could be wrong. I'll put up the pics of the leaves I plucked this morning. Maybe someone will be able to verify my worries, or tell me to just not worry lol
        Last edited by Doubledealing72; 07-23-2017, 01:18 PM.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        mcubed476 I don't think we can help but worry, so it's a balancing act between worrying and learning the science of growing weed. We have to keep an eye on all these things--especially roots in hydroponics. So we learn and we stress, but hopefully as we learn more, we stress less.

Take a good look with a magnifying glass at the undersides of your leaves and stalks to make sure you don't have insects. You'd prolly know it if you had spider mites!!!

Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

Google knows everything lol
        Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

I found another spider and got a pic. What does everyone think? Spider mite? Regular spider?
          Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a regular spider, a good old arachnid. That's good luck, he'll eat the bad bugs. Spiders are carnivores--not vegetivores.

If you look up a picture of spider mite online, you'll see the difference.

• Doubledealing72
            Editing a comment
            Awesome! Thanks allatup! I've googled the crap out of them. I figured it was a normal spider, I guess I just wanted confirmation lol

• Capncanna
            Capncanna commented
            Editing a comment
            Good spider good girl! I find when I freak out I read everything I can about it and it calms me down. By the time I weed out all the bs on the interweb I'm usually exhausted . I also have my lights on at night so I only have a few hours during the day to futz with the babs. Not that I dont stare at the door of the room like a dog .😮 leaves come and go , my rule is , if More than 10 on more than 4 stems look funky it is a problem. On outdoor plants it works and I haven't had an issue on this grow. I'm amazed at how hardy they are , I will say I notice slow down when things aren't right. Temp , ph , nute , or nute lock. Flushing has really helped. Keep it up.

Hey all! Today is day:

35 for Francine
          27 for Georgina
          14 for Red
          3 for The RP twins

I cleaned out the rez yesterday with bleach, let the roots soak in h2o2 for a couple hours, ran the airstones in bleach, and then in running water under a sink for a while. I only gave ph'd water and the tea for the first 6 hours and then added light nutrients after that.they seem to be doing better, but they always do after a rez change lol. They are both staring to flower a little bit, and it smells good in the tent, but still no smell out of the tent thanks to the carbon filter.

If it comes back I'll be trying the sterile route next rez change. I've ordered a stronger air pump as well that will be here Friday. I figure if the pythium doesn't like oxygen, then a pump that puts out more oxygen can't be a bad thing to have. Assuming that it is indeed pythium of course. It may very well be something different.

Red is looking amazing at two weeks in the Coco. Absolutely nothing wrong with her so far. I have been watering everyday until I see runoff, which I remove from the bottom holder with a handy little shopvac. I'm following a persons style I saw on YouTube who gets extremely good results by watering a little bit everyday. He says watering everyday pushes all the older nutrients out and replaces them with the fresh nutes that you are putting in. And since it should be treated like hydro, it seems to make sense to keep it hydrated.

The RP twins started to pop yesterday night, and finally come out fully today. I noticed the shell on one of them was still on the cotyledon leaves and keeping them pressed together. I took the shell off and they opened up instantly!
          Last edited by Doubledealing72; 07-25-2017, 10:13 PM.
          Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Everyone looks very good mcubed!! I applaud your continued efforts, and it certainly looks like the girls are playing along with you! Seriously: it's a team effort.

Sometimes it seems to me that I get a real intense connection to one plant or another--maybe it's all of them for you--and its vibration and growth is in tune with my learning and growth as a cannabis worshipper and cultivator.

Hey all! Today is day:
          36 for Francine
          28 for Georgina
          15 for Red
          4 for the RP twins (they may be a day older, I can't remember when I put them in lol).

Not much of an update for Francine and Georgina. Francine is starting to get the tiniest nugs going lol.

Today it's all about the Red Poison!

I can't believe the growth on Red. She is doing amazing in the 7 gallon pot of Coco, and her color is really cool. Still watering once a day until I see run off, no problems to speak of so far.

The RP twins are also doing fantastic. The cool thing about these two is that they have different phenomes! One looks like Red did at that age. It's first leaves almost look yellow compared to the cotyledons. The others are dark green, very similar to the color of the coytledons.

It's so cool to watch the same strain develop in two different colors! I can't wait till I see buds!

Also, I was reading online when I came across cob LEDs. I was curious and after reading through a thread that was all about them, I'm taking a chance and grabbing them. This guy started making them a few years back, and they give off almost no heat, even compared to LEDs and take up little space. Also, they are 55w, but each bulb is equivalent to 150 w hps or led. The money saved on electricity alone would be of great benefit, not to mention losing unnecessary heat and sound (they also claim to be completely silent). Definitely worth a look, I found them in the auto flower network website forum. He has some pics of growing with them as well.
          Last edited by Doubledealing72; 07-27-2017, 01:57 AM.
          Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• Aloner
            Aloner commented
            Editing a comment
            "You don't choose the medium, the medium chooses you."

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Good quote, Aloner!! Go for it, mcubed!!!

• Capncanna
            Capncanna commented
            Editing a comment
            Plants look great . Glad you found your groove.

New setup with all coco!
          Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool beans!!! I just can't wait to see how they adjust and react!! Like Capncanna said, you found your groove with coco. Very cool. The little ones are going to pick up on your sense of relief!!

Hey everyone! Francine and Georgina are a little droopy from the transplant, but other than that they seem to be doing okay. Red is still getting bigger and still remains healthy, along with the RP twins.
          Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• Aloner
            Aloner commented
            Editing a comment
            I imagine it will take a little while for them to get used to growing in a new medium.

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Sing to them.

Hey all! I was able to snap a pic of Red this morning with the lights off. I'm not sure if the new growth has a slight nutrient deficiency, or if that's just the genetics of this strain. What do you all think? (The flash may make the newer growth look slightly lighter than it actually is).

One of the RP twins is the same color as this one, the other is a darker green. I assume it's just the strain because it's looking pretty damn healthy lol.

It looks like the jock may be suffering from some nutrient burn so I gave them very light strength nutes today. They may be on the road to recovery!

Until next time!
          Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            mcubed, if it stays too light, type in "light green" in quotation marks on GWE. If the nute burn doesn't stop, give em a flush.

Looks great
          Bubbleponics
          Advanced platinum 450w
          Foxfarms big bloom , tiger bloom , grow big
          hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X