Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mcubed476 Grow Journal - Auto-Flowering Strains with LED Grow Light - 7.57 oz Yield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mcubed476 Grow Journal - Auto-Flowering Strains with LED Grow Light - 7.57 oz Yield

COMPLETED JOURNAL RUNDOWN:
    2 Jock horrors autos from Nirvana, planted 6/20 and 6/28
    Jock 1 (Francine) - 3g dry (lol)
    Jock 2 (Georgina) - 58g dry (much better!)

3 Red Poison autos from Sweet Seeds.
    Red Poison 1 (Red) - 50g dry
    Red Posion 2 (RP twin) - 64g dry (woohoo!)
    Red Poison 3 (RP twin) - 37g dry (boo!)

Total dry weight - 212g (7.57oz).

Hey all! This will be the start of my official first grow journal. I have 4 jock horror auto flower plants started, 2 in 2 separate totes running top fed dwc with a 600w Galaxy hydro led. They were planted on 6-20, so it's been a week today. 3 have sprouted, and one seed hasn't even cracked open, so it may be a dud, or I may have killed it with a rapid rooter that was too wet for too long. I have one seed left so I may try swapping that one out. Anyway, here's a few pics of the 3 that made it above ground!
    This one definitely got a head start compared to the rest. I am starting to see roots breaking out of the rapid rooter!
    Last edited by NebulaHaze; 10-20-2017, 06:49 PM. Reason: Great grow journal!
    Current grow:

4 55w autocobs (150 hps equivalent for each cob)
    Coco
    3 gallon pots

Bloody Skunk

Blue Dream

Sour Hound

Pineapple Express (all autos)

3x3x6 grow tent
    GH Flora Nova Bloom/Silica blast/Calmag/Great White

forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159203-bsa-bda-sha-and-grow-3

Previous grows:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...t-grow-journal

​​​​​​forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/135559-red-poison-sweet-trainwreck-grow-number-2

Cool Mcubed!
    What are you planning to do? Defoliation, LST, topping, fiming, scrog, monstercropping? Tell us/me more about the strain, what's it supposed to be, for what purpose are you growing it? (medication or recreational? For day or for night?)
    Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

Comment

• mcubed476
      mcubed476 commented
      Editing a comment
      So jock horror is a 3 way cross of northern lights and strains from the skunk and haze family. It's a hybrid but leans more toward the sativa side.

Since this is my first grow and it is an auto flower, I'm only going to do LST. The auto flower seemed to be a good choice for me because I don't have to worry about when to make the switch. Also, I found out that the humidity in my room gets to about 74% without the lights on. I could get a dehumidifier while the lights are off, but for now I can keep the lights on constantly ( I actually have them on a timer to shut off for 1 hour, I figure if people can run 24/7 and/or 18/6, 23/1 should be okay too lol).

The other main reason I went with auto flower is because of the quicker time from seed to harvest.

My main worry is light burn from the LEDs. I have a 2x4x5 tent, so max distance from the plants right now is only 39-40 inches away. I'm getting a 3x3x6 on Wednesday, but I won't set it up until I need it.

Can I use LST to bend the plant enough to where I can control how tall it gets? Since it's more sativa, it will probably be a taller plant, and I want to be able to keep it a safe distance from the lights)

One of my bigger regrets is not doing more research on what type of strain I should grow. After ordering seeds, I found out that the yield on Jock Horror is lower than other strains, and yield is something that matters to me. If I only get 2 oz total off of 3 plants, this first grow will cost me quite a bit/oz factoring in setup cost. If I'm lucky, 1 1/2 per plant would be enough to keep me until my next grow. Which leads me into another segue...

I have 2 favorite strains, Trainwreck and green poison. My buddy grew a few years ago, and I loved the way green poison smelled when you opened the jar (the description on Leafly says sweet and earthy I believe, but I smelt almost a gasoline type odor when I cracked it open). Trainwreck was also an extremely tasty bud. So I was perusing on seed sites yesterday and I came across red posion auto flower(a cross between green poison and a hindu kush). The pics look amazing, the yield is good, and it's a cross of my favorite strain. This would have been my ideal first grow, but sometimes we rush into things too quickly (although I'm glad I started as soon as I did). Also, it said from seed to harvest is 8 weeks, which is mind blowlingly fast!! So when I get paid this week, I'm definitely picking up some of those seeds.

Sorry for the long winded rant. I haven't told anyone in person about what I'm doing, so it feels good to let it all out somewhere, and here seems to be a great place to do that.

• Minoo96
      Minoo96 commented
      Editing a comment
      Why do you think I asked you I know exactly how it feels. Let it go here, it's your topic. Don't feel bad if people don't read, it happened to me at first. I wrote so big pieces of messages, I thought I was driving people insane. I still do, but I don't mind, people read or they don't When you'll start posting picture of proper plants, people will start to read I felt haha.

So she's still in veg, I would advise you to top her once, that'll help with the lst (the main stem become hard, one main cola will come, this one will be tall etc, its not what you want), then LST everything as much as you can. (As in it's alright, the plant will recover within 12/24 hours!!) But take this advice about topping with a hint of salt, I didn't top mine for fear of damaging them too much, since they are on timer... But in the end they are taking sooooo long, I could have. At least once, it's alright, it would have taken about 3 days - 1 week to recover and grow normally after that. Then the two offshot that comes after that are much easier to bend on the side, they tend to do that on their own, a little bit at least.

Don't forget, seedbank tends to exagerate sometimes. The height/yield/harvest time.

Two parts will be difficult for you, the germination because you will be looking at them daily, cursing them for not growing faster probably. And also in stress, will they be alright, this one looks bad, this one is like this. And the harvest time, you will be like "Oh in two days it's ready!!!" and like that for more than a week. In the end it's frustrating, so take patience. Order a microscope online (something like this is nice, for mobile phone, cheap, and for me it worked : https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4L._SX425_.jpg reference to find online : clip on microscope) to see the trichomes and be better able to judge when to harvest.
      I guess you already have a hygrometer if you know your humidity. During veg high humidity is alright as long as leafs don't touch each others and create WET SPOTS.
      During flowering, lower humidity to avoid mold. And late stage flowering, you remove the humidity as much as you can, that's the time to put up the dehumidifier, it's supposed to bolster the production of resin!

Also, I did the same mistake, I ordered the seeds too fast -after 2/4 days of research!-. But its perfectly normal, you have to start somewhere, and its only AFTER you started growing that some tips become apparent on how to choose best strains for you.

I'm a new grower, I'll harvest my first auto in a few days. I started already to be honest, top cola was cut twice Second one is drying right now, 52 hours since cut. (Its a good thing when you harvest your first plant, don't want to wait, want to try the difference between different harvest stage)
      So my experience with growing is quite limited, don't take everything I say as almighty. You should know what works best for your growing style, you should feel/see it. Think for yourself
      And most importantly, have fun while growing. It's not supposed to be a hassle

• mcubed476
      mcubed476 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for all the advice! You're absolutely right though, even though you're supposed to leave them alone, I couldn't help checking on the taproots as they started growing. I think I will be able to control myself better in the next grow.

One thing I noticed is that in almost every strain review that I have come across, everyone got different results because everyone is growing in a different environment and using different nutrients and different mediums. So hopefully I can give my girls the best environment that they need.

I've been checking pH daily, the tank with the largest plant was around 7 so I put a little pH down in it and I'm about to check it right now 😀

...and awaaaay they go! Subbed -- good luck!
    My first grow
    Nirvana ♀ Northern Light photo
    Outdoors
    Kind Soil/Roots Organic Original
    5 gal. Smart Pots

Comment

Hey all! The girls are at 8 days today and doing well. One of the four planted didn't germinate (more than likely my fault), so I decided to take it out and plant the last of the 5 seeds I received in it's place. The smallest one so far looked like it was about to die this morning, but after testing the pH and bringing it down to the right level this morning, I got home tonight finding it looking much happier than it was earlier today. Anyway, here they are in all their glory 8 days in lol
      Current grow:

Coco
      3 gallon pots

Bloody Skunk

Blue Dream

Sour Hound

3x3x6 grow tent

Previous grows:

​​​​​​forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/135559-red-poison-sweet-trainwreck-grow-number-2

Comment

Hey all! It's officially day 10 for the girls, and the biggest one is still getting bigger lol. However, I noticed the leaf in the top of the photo is starting to curl in on the side. Anybody know what may be causing that? It just doesn't really look like the problems I've seen on the site because it's not the tip curling in it's the side if the leaf. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
        Current grow:

Coco
        3 gallon pots

Bloody Skunk

Blue Dream

Sour Hound

3x3x6 grow tent

Previous grows:

Comment

• mcubed476
          mcubed476 commented
          Editing a comment
          I should mention that color seems fine, no yellow or spotting anywhere

Morning 476 I can't see pictures very well on my phone so I can't help much ,but say if that's your only problem I wouldn't worry to much about that ,just keep an eye on her. I can tell your doing a good job ,keep it and you will do fine. Good Luck 476
        4or5. 100watt equivalent cfls for seedlings.
        300 watt, 145watt at the wall. Led for veg.
        315lec for flowering.
        Dug-up Ms.River topsoil with perlite added, using no nutrients but what's in soil.
        1 an 3 gallon SmartPots, using only PHed water at 6.3-6.5 ph. 32x32x63 tent.
        Afghan Kush Ryder from WOS
        Bubblelicious Auto from Nirvana

Comment

• mcubed476
          mcubed476 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks man! It doesn't seem to be a huge issue, just had me curious. Everything is going good so far, temp is at 81, humidity is at 49% and pH is slightly less than 6.5. it's been a heck of a ride so far!

Good deal 476, Nothing wrong with being a little curious, keep up the good work..
        4or5. 100watt equivalent cfls for seedlings.
        300 watt, 145watt at the wall. Led for veg.
        315lec for flowering.
        Dug-up Ms.River topsoil with perlite added, using no nutrients but what's in soil.
        1 an 3 gallon SmartPots, using only PHed water at 6.3-6.5 ph. 32x32x63 tent.
        Afghan Kush Ryder from WOS
        Bubblelicious Auto from Nirvana

Comment

• mcubed476
          mcubed476 commented
          Editing a comment
          Turns out to be root rot D.A.A.S. it looks like it's just starting so I'm glad I caught it quick. Already asked a few people and got some suggestions which I'm gonna try. I'll keep you posted!

Subbed in. Great new grow , watch the height of the LED, mine need to be much lower than suggested by manufacturer. 18 inches is perfect for my platinum . I got major stretch on all my seedlings and had to stake them before i figured that out. I find my ph always rises so I tend to go lo as much as I can, under 6 , then let the bubbles bring it back up.
        Its a fun ride and everyone here is always helpful. Good luck and peace.
        Bubbleponics
        Advanced platinum 450w
        Foxfarms big bloom , tiger bloom , grow big
        hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

• mcubed476
          mcubed476 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks man! Out of all the sites I have read, this site is by far the most helpful. And the atmosphere in this site is amazing. There doesn't seem to be any name calling or harassing of any kind. It's like the coolest growers all got together and said, "hey, let's make the world a little more knowledgeable and friendly about how to grow. I seriously wouldn't have even know where to start without the help of gwe.

Thank you to everyone on this site that has helped anyone!

• mcubed476
          mcubed476 commented
          Editing a comment
          The height of my lights at this point are 30" away from the plants. They are 11 days in now. Do you think that's too far away from them at this stage?

Just keep watching them. If the stem gets too long before it puts out second set of true leaves I would lower it a bit.LEDs are all a bit different, mine have a veg and a flower switch. I started at 30 but dropped to 18 and have stayed there. Don't worry too much about things, follow the great plant problems guide and you'll be good. And if you can't find it post a pic and someone will have seen the problem and help. And the beauty of Dwc you can dump the res clean and start again and save almost anything. Glad your here, great group of folks.
        Bubbleponics
        Advanced platinum 450w
        hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

• mcubed476
          mcubed476 commented
          Editing a comment
          Long stems are something I haven't had to worry about lol. They are all quite short, the biggest one is growing it's 3rd set of true leaves right now and it's maybe an inch and half tall

• mcubed476
          mcubed476 commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a wonderful thing that you can do that with dwc. My buddy grew for a few years, and while I visited him frequently I never actually got to see him do any work in his room. So although I've been around plants at all stages of their life, this is all new to me lol. And this place has been absolutely fantastic about helping out new people. Love it here!

So I checked my girls when I got home tonight, and they are looking pretty good. The root rot has not spread , and actually might be looking better (hard to tell after only 8 hours). pH was a touch high (6.8-7ish) so I brought that down to the appropriate level. Other Tha. That just have to sit back and wait. I do still want to wrap my clear tubes with reflective tape, but I will do that a little later tonight. I'll keep everyone updated!
        Current grow:

Coco
        3 gallon pots

Bloody Skunk

Blue Dream

Sour Hound

3x3x6 grow tent

Previous grows:

Comment

Hey everyone! This is the new and improved setup and some kind of close ups of the girls. One is clearly getting a head start on the rest. I put reflective tape on all my paper plates, and for a temporary fix of the clear air tubes I have, I wrapped them with it too. Hopefully all light leak issues are accounted for. I also now have a 3x3x6 grow tent so I shouldn't have to worry about light burn at all.

If anyone sees anything wrong with any of the plants please feel free to let me know. I take constructive criticism extremely well. The one with root rot was the largest one. I will say the rest of the plants look kind of sad, but I'm not sure if they just need time to recoup from the nasty water.
          Current grow:

Coco
          3 gallon pots

Bloody Skunk

Blue Dream

Sour Hound

3x3x6 grow tent

Previous grows:

Comment

• Capncanna
            Capncanna commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking good 476 !

Well, today marks 14 days for the girls. This week brought problems along with it. Root rot and algae specifically. I realized after a lot of help from this community that my totes and lines were leaking light in. So I went and bought new totes, great white, more reflective tape, and black tubing. I changed the one tote out yesterday, and completely covered the tote in reflective tape. I then let my airstones run in a h2o2 and water mix, and then ran them in hot water after that.

I changed the 2nd tote out this morning, the one with the bigger plant in it. It does seem to be recovering from the root rot, but I noticed some brown spots around the tips of the lower leaves along with some yellowing. The rapid rooter was pretty dry, so when I got clean nute water in I made sure it was damp. I also raised the lights about 5 inches. It could be light burn or a nute deficiency because I gave them really weak nutes the last change. This time I upped the nutes, still lower than the recommended dose on the bottles (gh hydro Flora trio), but far more than last time. I will keep everyone updated on the progress!

PS, the seed that was a dud got replaced a week ago, and so far it is looking pretty happy!
          Current grow:

Coco
          3 gallon pots

Bloody Skunk

Blue Dream

Sour Hound

3x3x6 grow tent

Previous grows:

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            mcubed, I wouldn't worry too much about those bottom leaves: the upper leaves look good, and so does the baby!!!

Hey everyone! Checked in on the girls this morning and they are looking fantastic! I looked at the biggest ones roots and there is a ton of new white root growth! And they look way bigger and thicker than the older root growth, so I was quite impressed! All the other ones are also looking very healthy as well! Sorry no pics today, I have to head to work, but all is looking much better since I redid the setup. It's been 3 days now since I changed the first tote out and the water is sitting at a cool 68 degrees still, and the tote feels cool to the touch.

I now firmly believe that the light leak was the main cause of my problems. Light leaks are not to be taken lightly in hydro! Make sure that tote is pitch black!

As always, when I know more, you will too!
          Current grow:

Coco
          3 gallon pots

Bloody Skunk

Blue Dream

Sour Hound

3x3x6 grow tent

Previous grows:

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            WOO HOO!!! AWESOME NEWS!!! I'm so glad for you!!!! (and the girls).

Good job! Glad to hear you got it figured out!
          Bubbleponics
          Advanced platinum 450w
          hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

Hey everyone! Today marks 19 days for the girls, and it has been a rough couple weeks. I noticed root rot happening about a week in. Tried to alleviate the problem, worked well for a couple days and then came back (if interested to know what I went through, read the "root rot?" Thread). So the last thing I did was bleach the totes and thoroughly rinsed them out. I let the roots sit in a h2o2 water solution, and pulled off all the dead roots ( I didn't really have to pull, I just had to run my fingers through them and the dead ones came right out.) After everything was clean as could be I found more than likely the main cause of my brown algae that kept building up...light leaks. I had light leaking into the rez from the lid where the net pots are. Some net pots weren't full with hydroton, and others just didn't lay flat with the hole I cut. Anyway, 2 days later (today), they still look a little droopy from removing roots and constantly moving them around. However, it does look like they are perking up more than they were yesterday so that's good. I'll keep everyone updated as I go along!

I also received my red poison seeds in the mail yesterday, so if these end up not making it, I can start over whilst being more prepared this time around.

This morning I started brewing the Heisenberg tea, something that is supposed to help keep the bad stuff out of the rez. I have to let it aerate for 48 hours, but I'll let everyone know how that turns out as well.

I'll get some pics of the sad looking girls shortly!
            Current grow:

Coco
            3 gallon pots

Bloody Skunk

Blue Dream

Sour Hound

3x3x6 grow tent

Previous grows:

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe these girls are gonna make it. Just keep the nutes real low for a while.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X