F1 hybrids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F1 hybrids

Hello everyone. Great Forum. Anyone have any experience with the new F1 hybrids? Got 3 free Orion F1 seeds from RQS and I'm curious if they live up to the hype. According to the website their supposed to be better in almost every way. Off to an interesting start. The first one I popped has a mutation. 4 cotledons. True leaves seem to be forming normally though.

Sorry, forgot details. Organic soil grow FF happy frog with homemade compost and worm castings. 1 homemade 3×2 box and 1 3×2 AC Infinity tent, both with SF2000 lights and AC Infinity 6" exhaust fans. Blue Planet Organic nut. trio used sparingly. Autoflower perpetual harvest. Currently 1 blackberry Kush, 1 purple Kush, 1 critical 2.0,1 sweet Skunk, 1 Orion F1

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I look forward to seeing these grow even the mutant. Please keep us posted

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I googled the strain Orion F1 now i forgot where you can find them. We are eager to see how stable it is. If i did'nt know it was a good viable strain i sure as shit would'nt pay more than $10 a seed. I know the time it takes to stablize strains but I won't ever pay that amount.

Will try to post weekly reports, figure a lot of people want to know how they do before spending 30$ a seed. Have 2 more still and will be trying at least 1 in greenhouse when it warms up a little .

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      Please do. I am quite interested in your experience and how they turn out.

Following!

Comment

I got mine from Royal Queen Seeds. They had a promo about a month ago, spend 120$ and get the 3 F1s and 10 critical photos. They are out of Spain and just recently started shipping to US. Seeds were shipped from Eugene Or. I agree, wouldn't spend that kind of money on Seeds unless I know it's a hell of a srain

Comment

Orion F1. Blue mammoth x (blue dream x amnesia) I have no experience with this strain or royal queen anything. There menu is really generic which makes me suspect that they are another white label bulk seed distributor.
        F1 crosses are usually quite low on pheno variation. F2 is where they go everywhere. Looks to be a sativa leaning strain.
        ​​​​​​
        keeping it green with the soil thing
        love me some frosty autos
        braap
        BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
        Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
        the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
        blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

How do you know if a strain is stable? Can you tell from just a few plants?

Comment

F1s are not strains, they are hybrids, F5s are when it can be considered a strain of its own. I agree with others, I will not pay even $10 a seed for F1s.

Comment

Learn sump'tn new everyday!
              Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
              5 gallon cloth pots
              30"x30"x60" tent
              Spider Farmer SE3000
              Coco Pearlite mix
              GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• dirtymike
                dirtymike commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, ever time i read a post in here. Didn't know there was a F

True F1 seeds grown from primarily homozygous parents are very much a "strain." Of course, none of the plants we grow are actual strains in the biological sense, they are all just "varieties." A variety of something that grows consistently. True F1 seeds as they are advertising them will grow even more consistently and with greater vigor than inbred F5 seeds. It's just a fact of genetics. However, the key is that the parents are themselves inbred to the point of homozygous dominance or recessive on most alleles. In fact it usually takes two parents that are almost sickly from being so inbred, and that themselves express very very different characteristics. Simply combining two strains might make a F1 cross, but it's not the type of F1 cross they are talking about here. This approach has revolutionized commercial farming. For instance, the vast majority of corn you eat is F1 corn, because it grows faster, taller, stronger, more past resistant, and with more consistency which is better for commercial machinery. Also, you can't breed an F1 with an F1 and result in any consistency because, by definition, he will be mixing up a bunch of heterozygous alleles. This has been good for the corn seed companies, for instance, because farmers can't then just plant the seeds they grow. They need the F1. There is nothing about this process that is genetically modified or tricky. Pull out your bio 101 notes from college and sketch out the Punnett square to check it out. In most plants, there is a mixture of alleles, so if you had two parents and one has Ab and the other AA (one heterozygous, one homozygous dominant), then 50 percent of babies will be AA and 50 prevent Ab. What happens when you cross AA with bb? Every baby plant has Ab, perfect consistency. If most alleles from the parents are either dominant or recessive due too heavy inbreeding, then the baby plants will be highly consistent.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Good 1 Franklin

• dirtymike
                dirtymike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you very much Sir. Your knowledge is most appreciated. I follow. Dirty

Thanks Franklin, that's the best explanation of F1s I've heard. I've been gardening my whole life and know F1s have dominated the veggie industry for a long time (tomatoes, peppers, etc),.

Comment

Starting grow log under new topic

Comment

I was this many years old when I learned about F1's...wow.
                  Last edited by golfnrl; 03-26-2023, 08:02 PM.
                  Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
                  Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
                  Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X