Best $30 spent in a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best $30 spent in a while

Hey everyone! Exciting times here as I just started my next run. I decided to buy and try a seedling heating mat and controller to help germination. Happy to report 100% germ rate (I always had at least one not pop), and at a much quicker rate! I had tails within 18 hours and seedlings in 5 days from wetting the seeds in paper towels. Naturally I got the advice from the gwe site so just a nod and thanks for the gwe crew! Between there and the kind folks on this forum I have gathered enough info to have been fairly successful and am excited to try cloning for the first time this run.

thanks everyone!
    bd

I concur.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
      changeofpace2014 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got in to trouble with the same setup....my pad was way to hot!! to germinate seeds, ok for seedlings or clones in small pot...moved the next batch to the hot water heater...rock solid

• 3Berries
      3Berries commented
      Editing a comment
      I run mine off a temperature controller. Stick the probe under the pot.

I have to agree although this is my first time trying it. Soaked these seeds on Wednesday, paper towel on Thursday, taproot on Friday, seedlings Saturday. Thats fast in my 63 degree basement. Why didnt i get one of these sooner....should work good with my cloner as well when the temps are low. I used to put seeds on my internet modem or wifi, but checked temp and it was around 90 degrees! im thinking i roasted a few seeds up to this point. lol Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7302.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	587909 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7303.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	587910 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7304.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	587911 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7312.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	587912 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7311.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	587913 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7310.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	587914
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Comment

I put the seeds in between moist paper towels, which are between two plates. Left atop the cable box for 16 hrs or more works for me.

Comment

Fail-Proof Cannabis Germination Method in Soil or Coco

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3304.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	588012 I have a reptile heat mat...bought it after I saw it one of Nebulas newsletter articles. I like it. I bought a Gorilla clone tent to germinate seeds in. This is my first run with it. I know I don't need it but I thought the tent was cool looking. I dropped some Killer A5 seeds from Ace seeds at about 6:00pm on the 1st into a shot glass for about 36 hours. Then rapid rooters on the 3rd. They'll go into a starter pot later this week and then final home. I don't use the paper towel method. This pic is this AM. Yesterday the sprouts worked all day to get the cotelyn leaves out. I have them on a heat mat at 75F, t5 light, 50% RH. I'm pleased with this germination...speedy and no problems.
          Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
          Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
          Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

The temp controller is a must for the heating mat. At first I tried just the mat w/ no controller, paper towel set up (with no seeds) and it was around 100f on the low setting. I bought a controller and did a test run before I set it to 82f and threw some seeds at it.

I had tried all kinds of set ups and cooked some from high temps and poor rates due to cold temps. I did my
            best before this by placing the paper towel set up in a sunny window with a towel over the bag.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
              changeofpace2014 commented
              Editing a comment
              its a ugly lesson, one thinks the seed mat is good to go, but totally unawares it is going to cook them expensive seeds... Good advise to check the heat of the mat. Clearly some seeds mats are better then others..

... so I went out and bought one. TY
            Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
            Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
            Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• bdeegan
              bdeegan commented
              Editing a comment
              Best of luck to you! Btw, I ran whiskey zulu last time and it is one of my favs! I’ve got a tequila sunrise that I’m growing this time (whiskey Zulu and Durban sunrise cross)

I have a mat but always set the seed/towel/cover on the range top underneath my microwave nightlight. I used that nightlight overnight when making yogurt too.
            Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
            Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
            Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
            Various size fabric grow bags
            Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
            4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
            Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• bdeegan
              bdeegan commented
              Editing a comment
              Very cool, I have been wanting to try to make yogurt

• Puglover1
              Puglover1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Crockpot, milk, starter yogurt, overnight covered in a towel under the light. Then the straining of the whey. I have pics when I get a laptop.

Stupid mat. Smart thermometer... I plugged my new mat into a smart plug and set a smart thermometer on top of it. Set to keep mat between 78 & 80F. Seems to work so I'll drop seeds tomorrow.
            Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
            Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• 90Gizmo
              90Gizmo commented
              Editing a comment
              Soaked, seed cracked in 12 hours. Transferred to wet paper towel had 2mm tail in another 12 hours. I only have one bourbon berry and never grew it before so I've no idea what's normal but that seems faster than my previous experiences with other seeds. I'm a believer.

This conversation got me going out and buying a temp controller...Jeez, thanks guys!

No really though. I plan on using it to control an ethanol evaporation while making RSO. Though more timely, it seems much easier and actually less time consuming than my previous double boiler method. This will be a first for me. Wish me luck! 😉👍
            Back to playin in the dirt!
            Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
            I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

• Blowdout2269
              Blowdout2269 commented
              Editing a comment
              I plan to use the mat under a casserole dish full of my QWET. This will act at a lengthy, but less difficult form of evaporation. I plan on it taking at least 12-24hrs. But it's more of a set it and forget it style.
              This will be my first time not doing the double boiler method. 👍

• Puglover1
              Puglover1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Blowdout2269 I plan to finish my next qwet the same way.

• Blowdout2269
              Blowdout2269 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Puglover1, let's compare notes! 😃

So; What's considered optimum, for seeds, please? I keep creatures here and have the dinkiest little mat ye've ever seen. I have it under my crickets tank. It covers the area of their (six) egg box lid shelter. They love it in there and never cook.

Then, I have this mad, two foot or so long thing. I wouldn't let a seed near it! Don't trust it.

Being as I'll be trying to hatch One seed, two or three times a year; I'm thinking checking the temp' given off by the tiny mat might be an idea.

Hmm?
            Older bloke. Eire. Chatty as all fuck.

Gearing up to grow Northern Lights Auto by DWC + Dribbler, with a " Spider Farmer Grow Tent Kit Complete SF-1000 Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Samsung Diodes 27" X 27" X 62"Growing Tent 4 Inch Fan Filter Combo " from Amazon.​

Comment

• 3Berries
              3Berries commented
              Editing a comment
              I've neve had a problem with room temp for seed sprouting using paper towels, mid 60Fs in winter.

• oldjarhead100
              oldjarhead100 commented
              Editing a comment
              I put my seeds in a shot glass on top of my fridge overnight once the sink I move them to a wet paper towel on a plate then I slide it on top of my cable box until they have tails then I put them in root riots, whole op takes 2 to 3 days unless you have old seeds

• Blowdout2269
              Blowdout2269 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm seeds in a moist paper towel, on a plastic plate, in a gallon ziplock, unsealed, sat on top of the cable box.
              👍

Cheers, lads. I guess I was getting ahead of myself. Just a knee jerk to, 'I have that! Can I do that?'

Reality is, I've just come, shivering, in from standing guard over my chickens, as I plot further nonsense. Temp in this room? 57F

Why was I even Thinking about seeds???

Gearing up to grow Northern Lights Auto by DWC + Dribbler, with a " Spider Farmer Grow Tent Kit Complete SF-1000 Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Samsung Diodes 27" X 27" X 62"Growing Tent 4 Inch Fan Filter Combo " from Amazon.​

Comment

90Gizmo One thing one Never does is fold these mats (Or cut them)

No, I'm just having a Very busy time just now. Head's all over the place and I can slip up, here and there. Just got over excited, people talking about mats and me having a couple here.

50F as I left my future tent room, tonight. 60F, in here. Outside has been absolutely Ghastly, all day! (Wind chill)

It's gonna be a lifetime away till I'm ready to even start doing test runs here.

Oh! The iron! Last night, I was studying the minutiae of battery Air Pumps, on Amazon? Part of Nebula's emergency pack is one of those. In case of power cuts?

I gave up and went to bed. Too exhausted to concentrate.

Woke up, today, to find a power cut had tripped my circuit breaker and, well, I Hope my African frog has pulled through! (Phew! Just went and checked him there, for reassurance. He's moved across his tank and had a good shit. Thank god! That's good signs)

But, yeah. That's the sort of chaos I put up with on a 'normal' basis, round here. I guess any Hint of more gear I can buy, that may give me the slightest edge in my fight for survival; I get All Ears and want to grab it.

Having a night off, tonight. Just spent an hour and more, typing a Looooong reply to a friend in Greece. *Blink* " Yahoo has just completely fucked you. That's it. It's Gone. No good clicking that. Or that! It's Gone. Start writing it all over again, some time. Sukkaa! "

And, here I am. Shrug and move on

Comment

Drabenger hey mate. I don't know anything about RSO but I usually evaporate my ethanol at about 185 F and up ... so I'm curious wrt what you can to with a seeding mat. For now though I have seeds in a glass on mine. Glad your frog's okay.
                Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X