What Lesson Did Your Garden Teach You in 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Lesson Did Your Garden Teach You in 2022

The two that come to mind "for me" 1) I thought 200 cfm exhaust fan would suffice for about 94 sq ft because I had no problem with temps / humidity in the old 6.5 ft tent..Not the case, to control heat and humidity in a confined area requires more cfms..2) I learned this one last night so I will slide it in..It would be very wise to have a spare ec and ph meter, in the event the primary one craps out..

Count yourself lucky if your garden gave your a free pass for 2022...

Hello, the past year has been fun adventure setting up this new hobby... I'm on my 3rd grow since Feb 2022 ....GWE site and forums have always been amazing...
    1. my indoor garden was not big enough..i've since expanded to 4 tents.. I've been trying for that perpetual weed grow. lol
    2. start with quality known seeds
    3. keep checking for stress herms... my stomach dropped when i've seen a random sac or bannas/pollen drop...
    4. nute lockout is no joke.. don't waste all your time/energy.. at least check water PH going in/runoff
    5. I need better drying setup or maybe another tent for drying... lol

for 2023 I will be expanding to another hydro DWC bucket setup

Cheers to new year!
    Tents VIPARSPECTRA 3x3x6 (flower) - 4x2x5 (flower) - 4x2x5 (flower)​ - 2x2x4 (veg)
    Lighting WILLS 3000w (550watts) - VIPARSPECTRA P2000 (230watts) & VA1000W burple (260watts) - FECiDA CR600 600W x3(80watts) (x3)
    HVAC & Automations VIVOSUN 4" 195CFM Blower w/ Carbon Filter (vented outside) Inkbird WiFi ITC-308 Temp controlled outlets, WiFi Smart Plug Outlets for timer functions; Mini Heater with analog controls (in tent) Mini Ultrasonic Fogger (in tent) BIG 50 pt. GE Dehumidifier w/ Built-in Pump (in LUNG room outside of tent; basement)
    Medium Coco Coir, Burpee Organic Soil & Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil & 3 Gallon Hydro DWC bucket setup
    Nutes Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient: Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom, Cal-Mag -
    Planters 2,3,& 5 GAL Fabric Pots

Comment

• Aftiltake
      Aftiltake commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks like it was an extremely fruitful year and full of new experiences. I've just recently started researching this field, wrote an essay on police brutality c with examples on https://papersowl.com/examples/police-brutality/ for college, and started preparing a place. Next I want to plant my own little seedbed and start growing my own product already.
      Last edited by Aftiltake; 02-24-2023, 04:48 PM.

Cull way more than two in a six-hole DWC bin!
    (My first hydro grow. I got greedy) Lol. 🤷‍♂️
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

First hydro grow

Learnt to not panic....
      Small changes 1 at a time
      The right height for my custom lighting solution (produces huge buds)
      That electricity supply matters in an indoor hydro grow
      How to prune the Nebula way
      That I still don't have enough light for my 9 x 5 grow area for all in flower
      That my water system will syphon if I put more than 120ltrs in my 240ltr water tank (designing a gravity open system to stop that)
      That accurate measuring equipment is vital..eg. pH meter and to look after it
      How to accurately measure PPFD using a couple of mobile phones
      That high humidity will kill my monster buds with mould before they finish growing and maturing (only just touched on the harvest window)
      That I need a better humidity measuring and automation system..(fixed)
      and dehumidifier on the way.
      That I dont own enough jars to cure one plants mould effected yield....still got over12 Oz from one plant and I lost all the big buds to mould.

and most importantly I just love what I'm doing and cannot learn enough about this...love it.

and a big thank you to GrowWeedEasy...you lot rock!
      Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
      Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
        changeofpace2014 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry to here the hard lesson was with temps and humidity..

Perhaps the title could of been what garden mistake did you make in 2022...

Comment

Bigger pots = more pot... no need to ask. 5 gallon pots aren't much bigger than 2 gallon pots but make more than twice as much pot. Can barely tell a 3 gallon pot from a 2 gallon pot but I get half again as much pot. I need an idea for what to do with my 2 gallon pots. I grow more pot than I can smoke. So for 2023 I'll grow for fun. Happy New Year!
        Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
        Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
        Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Got a new light and I discovered that light burn is real
          It pays to recalibrate your PH meter.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Patience, patience, patience. My OCD has hurt more things than it's helped. Slow down. Take a breath. Don't rush life. Example being beans that don't sprout after 5 days. Omg wtf. Let me dig it up to see what the problem is. Problem was your impatient.
            keeping it green with the soil thing
            love me some frosty autos
            braap
            BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
            Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
            the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
            blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• robear27
              robear27 commented
              Editing a comment
              same here did my first indoor grow last year, my OCD was killing plants over watering drowned seeds , over watered seedlings, finally after a month of utter failure ( 6 Acapulco gold seed drowned 4, amensia seeds killed all but one) got my OCD under control and learned that to much love isn't good. Made it to harvest with 2 AG plants, 1 amnesia and 2 bubble gum and was more then happy with buzz and amount I harvested. had whaite widow fem on outside grow and I was just chilling onthese 3 all was well got bud rot in 1 plant ( way to wet august in WNY ) lost most of the top buds and just harvested early. Planning on statrting again indoors in two weeks. I also found it helpful to keep a written journal of my grows.

• changeofpace2014
              Editing a comment
              your new grow will be better....good luck..

• robear27
              robear27 commented
              Editing a comment
              Patience works the new 2023 grow is 3 weeks in started with 3 white widows, 3 Hindu Kush, and 2 super skunks all females seeds. After germination and placing into soil in solo cups I have only lost 2 Super Skunks they came out of the soil with very curly stems and both died within a few days not really sure what caused it as all the other seedling had same conditions and are doing fine.. I replaced the 2 super Skunk with 2 more SS seeds they have sprouted and i have had no issues so far. Just letting all my girls do there thing with some assistance from me.

I also learned that I should pluck way more blossoms off of my tomato bushes(outside veggies) if I actually want to harvest a decent amount of RED tomatoes, lol.
            This season was pathetic. I ended up bumming 'maters from friends gardens and paying for them at the store/farmers market to make all my salsas. 😠
            Back to playin in the dirt!
            Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
            I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

• changeofpace2014
              Editing a comment
              noted...will do when wife looks the other way..

After only 3 years of growing, I realized that taking the diffusers off of my plastic watering jugs makes it SO much easier for precise delivery of H2O. I'm also able to increase the flow rate dramatically, which saves time and muscle effort.
            Attached Files
            A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• Walty
              Walty commented
              Editing a comment
              You might appreciate a liquid transfer pump and 5 gallon bucket…..even easier. Tip from GWE….I can’t take credit for it.

• 3Berries
              3Berries commented
              Editing a comment
              Lefty my jug like that full of water and too close to the garage door. I knew it was going to freeze and crack with the big polar blow we got. Sure enough that's what happened. Had the jug since they were $1.99 too.....

Overall, it was a fun year for lessons (good and bad).

I learned about VPD and using temperature and humidity to target ideal growing conditions at different growth stages. This required adding the AC Infinity Controller 69, the addition of a humidifier to my grow tents, and a source of fresh air for the lung room. (I vent my exhaust into my lung room and use a dehumidifier if necessary). I also learned that technology can fail….both with user-errors and controller glitches.

I learned how to SCROG for the first time ever…pleasantly surprised at how well it works. I also learned the importance of defoliating a SCROG before flowering….she really got away from me and there was no coming back.

I started to learn “Quadlining” to keep my grow short and canopy flat under the grow lights. I definitely recommend reading up on this technique. Now if they would just talk about sub irrigated planters on GWE.
            2x4 AC Infinity tent
            Timber 3VL (320 watt from the wall. (previous HID grower)
            FFOF Soil grower, General Hydro Flora Series nutes
            AC Infinity fans (exhaust and oscillating pole fans)

Comment

My garden taught me patience...again. I also learned or had reinforced that each plant is an individual. No two are the same.
              Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
              Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
              Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

High frequency Fertigation (only applies if you grow in coco).
                basically watering your plants at least once a day, sometimes 2-3! The old general rule of thumb about only only watering when the pots are light/dry imo shouldn’t apply to coco as it hampers growth. Never let your coco dry out! It’s very labour intensive but would highly recommend trying it if you grow with coco.

Comment

• BaccaRacca
                  BaccaRacca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll second that, I learned the same thing this year, except I use perlite (plus a bit of peat moss to buffer alkali tap water). I also use cheap irrigation pumps and 5-gal buckets to cut down on labor. I program my pumps for 4x a day and adjust watering as the plants grow. I'm able to use 2.5-gallon pots in place of 12-gallon pots and get the same yields. I also adjusted pruning techniques to a modified quadline. In a 2x2 grow cabinet with a 200w light I'm getting 8 to 12 ounces a plant.

looks like most of us were schooled one way or the other...

Comment

• OldManGrower
                  OldManGrower commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you weren't schooled in one way or another, you didn't learn anything, You usually learn more from your mistakes than your successes,

• changeofpace2014
                  Editing a comment
                  I think learning from mistakes leads to knowledge with understanding..To know something is one thing but to understand it is another..

That all of the lights and equipment in my world is worthless if you're not steady on your feet and have no energy.
                Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
                Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
                Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
                Various size fabric grow bags
                Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
                4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
                Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• 3Berries
                  3Berries commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes indeed, you need to take care of self first. Good luck.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X