Low PH at roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low PH at roots

I water my autoflower plants in coco. I have adjusted the PH before watering and it doesn't seem to matter. Whether it starts at 5.8 or 6.5 when I start, it seems to always come out 5.2 at the roots when I test the run off, I am trying for 6.0 to absorb the nutrients. I am just starting 4 weekof my grow.

I use:
    DYNA-GROW(grow)-1 tsp/gal
    DYNA-GROW( bloom)- 1/2 tsp/gal just started
    General Hydroponics CaliMagic- 1 tsp/gal
    General Hydroponics PH UP- as needed

My grow setup is:
    2x2x4 tent
    HLG100 lights
    Exhaust fan
    Temp and humidity sensors
    Humidifier and Dehumidifier
    Fans (for air movement)
    Apera PH20 tester

I try to keep the temp between 72-81 fahrenheit,
    and the humidity at this time between 40-50

2x2x4 tent HLG100 lights Exhaust fan Temp and humidity sensors
    Humidifier and Dehumidifier 6"Fans (for air movement) Apera PH20 tester​
    coco-coir
    DYNA-GRO Grow and Bloom

If your run-off is 5.0, try feeding with a pH of 7.
    That should land you at about 6.0.
    Let us know how this works. Good luck!
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Personally I never test my run off. As long as the plants are doing fine and I PH the water beforehand, everything works out fine. Remember that you test the water PH AFTER you add the nutrients!
      I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• Going2fast
        Going2fast commented
        Editing a comment
        I concur but sometimes you get a plant with special needs. As another awesome forum member put it princess tendencies.

^
      This for sure.
      Back to playin in the dirt!
      Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
      I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Thanks for the good info. I do test after I add the nutrients, But when I read all the different articles about watering, feeding, low stress traing, defoliation, and so much more, my head starts to spin. I can never find the right article that pertains to my exact grow system. Thanks again.
        coco-coir
        DYNA-GRO Grow and Bloom

Comment

• OldManGrower
          OldManGrower commented
          Editing a comment
          While all of the information you gather is useful but you need to adapt it all to your style and type of growing. Different strokes and all that. The proof is in the results. I learn more from my failures then my successes.

Large pots and overwatering is an issue. This last grow I never fully saturated the 3 gallons of ProMix until near the end of veg. Usually just watering around the stalk and never to run off.

Then at the end of veg I do water to run off to get an idea of the pH. As of late it's all been good. I add limestone to my mix though, I think that is the key.

The ProMix holds a lot of water so more perlite is needed IMHO.

I have an Ocean Forest grow I added too much perlite to. it's working out OK but needs watered twice a day and never pegs the moisture meter. Added limestone to it t and the pH is good. I'm surprised. Got an auto in it now.

This is good stuff. Click image for larger version  Name:	NuetraLime DG.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.2 KB ID:	580677

Comment

Did you prep your coco in the beginning? I recently considered using the expensive coco like fox farms or cannah, but went with the cheap un buffered brick. Next time and yes I have had a few issue with seedlings and early veg but seem to be back on track now..

Comment

The coco that I used was Fox Farms. What reading should I have around on a moidture meter before I water? Thanks again to all you guys for the help. Say Hi to Mr. Furley and the ladies.
            coco-coir
            DYNA-GRO Grow and Bloom

Comment

I would suggest using the weight as indicator... coco is not suppose to dry out but the post will become noticeably lighter.

Comment

How do you have your coco mixed? Perlite? Ratio? I agree with dilvish. After I set the PH it's just an afterthought because I use the autopot system with a PH controller. Autopots are a gravity fed bottom up grow system. After the initial pot up there is no top down watering with this system. Plants water themselves. I have found it hard to learn from just watching the plants. But they will tell you what they need or don't need whatever the case may be. And 1EZ I have found myself in the same information overload boat. Less is more. It's taken a few grows for me to dial in the grow method that works best for me and my lifestyle. Now it's a personal contest to see if I can improve the quality of the product.
                Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
                Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
                Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                  changeofpace2014 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The ration I try fore is about 30% perlite, or to the point where it feels spongy when squeezed and that is dry coco. Golfnrl is that bottom fed gravity system some type of wick system? How to you integrate the run off or flushing?

changeofpace2014 yes, the autopots are a type of wicking system. I use a 50/50 mix of coco and perlite with the autopots the grow medium stays wet except for the top inch or so in the pot. Not trying to be a shill but this info from their web site helped me when I ran across these on the web.

There is no run off after the 7-14 day period when the plants are potted up into the autopots. The roots need about that long to get established. After that, the nutrients go into the reservoir and the plants bottom feed. As far as the flush goes, I have not done that with the autopots, yet. I'm planning my next grow and that will be in the mix. The flush with autopots is just plain water a week or so before harvest. I'm going to do a flush just because I want to see if I notice a change in taste or smell. That dry top inch or so is where the plant puts the salts from the nutrients. That's why top watering after the initial pot up is not recommended.
                Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
                Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
                Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the info --will have a rad but not today --cooking rib roast for The American Thanks Giving...

The coco mix that I got from fox farms is 70% coco and 30% perlite.
                coco-coir
                DYNA-GRO Grow and Bloom

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                  Editing a comment
                  If I keep with the coir, I will go with a higher quality coco next time...CalMag is expensive and when you consider how much it take to prep the rough coco.. I have had issue this time..new home, new grow area, hard water, so so hydro store ..

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X