X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercy, can we over come this ..

One by one could we turn it around

An open letter to the GWE COMMUNITY

I was shocked when I stopped in today to see active membership down to about 1% of membership.

I started out lurking at GWE years ago, finally became a member about 5 years ago. This is the first cannabis grow site I ever went to other than High Times, so for me GWE just feels like home. I learned a lot here, met some truly amazing people, been able to share some of what I’ve learned over the years, and recently I’ve been a bit puzzled by site statistics.

Put on your big boy pants; I think it’s time for a seriously serious talk.

These are just my thoughts and are in no particular order of importance - PLEASE NOTE these my opinions and may or may not be the same as yours.

• Like (👍🏼) other peoples work! They have dodged all the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and are still happy to start a thread, show their work, and open themselves up to public criticism and critique. For crying out loud it takes a fraction of a second to click a thumbs up and show your support. It is a travesty that amazing threads like Show Your Grow which has over 10k posts has less than 50 likes for the thread! Click 👍🏼 on the first post of a thread, please. You like it when others like your stuff, be kind, unwind and show your fellow growers some love!
    • Quit beating each other up for differences of opinion that in reality have no consequence! We are all here to learn, to share or to enjoy the company of others who share our fondness for cannabis. If you have an opinion - fine state it AS YOUR OPINION and carry on carrying on. The other person has as much right to their opinion as you do yours. However; when I see people beating others up for doing the same thing they are doing (growing) just in a different way or not being well versed, it gets a bit ridiculous!
    • For me, it came down to just flat out tiring of fighting for civility as the main reason I don’t visit as often as I once used to.
    • Greet new members! SiriusFourside & NebulaHaze have given us an excellent site with great information and a place to share with & learn from others all in one place; take a moment to welcome new members! Sirius has insured their moniker is noted. A few seconds is all it takes to let them know you’re happy they’ve joined the dysfunctional - but happy crew!
    • Blow up your TV, throw your politics & religion to the wind, be kind to each other and save the shit we’ve all been shoveling for your plants. We will all be a lot better off for it in the end.
    • Share https://GrowWeedEasy.com with friends, family, enemies -anyone who grows or is considering cannabis cultivation and when they get here roll out the red carpet, spark up a bowl, throw them a party and turn those enemies into friends who have the same goal as yourself, maybe just a different method of execution.
    • For those who may not have noticed, this is a help site. In my opinion if you can’t or are not willing to help at least shut up so others can before you drive the new member to the door.
    • For me this has been one of the top websites for free rein discussions and information, unfortunately some have used this freedom to say and spout off things that would really be best left unsaid in this forum.

Mercy, can we overcome this? One by one can we turn it around and carry on just a little bit longer, while I try to give you what you need? - Dave Mathews Band​​​

Mercy, can we overcome this? One by one can we turn it around and carry on just a little bit longer, while I try to give you what you need? - Dave Mathews Band​​as yourself, maybe just a different method of execution.
    • For those who may not have noticed, this is a help site. In my opinion if you can’t or are not willing to help at least shut up so others can before you drive the new member to the door.
    • For me this has been one of the top websites for free rein discussions and information, unfortunately some have used this freedom to say and spout off things that would really be best left unsaid in this forum.

Mercy, can we overcome this? One by one can we turn it around and carry on just a little bit longer, while I try to give you what you need? - Dave Mathews Band​​​​​
    Last edited by BU2B; 11-16-2022, 03:22 PM.

Hmm well maybe some will understand what your speech is about i sure don't like the aggression on making your voice heard. I've not noticed any bothersome threads here lately just friendly banter. I'm not posting much now because i'm not growing indoors again yet. I get it that you want folks to " like " oldies an newbies grows to boost their confidence, admire their good care. Myself an speaking for myself i ignore more BS now could care less i just don't give a rats ass if you like my pics or not. I love my product i produce and flat out sharing weed pics and strains.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• BU2B
      BU2B commented
      Editing a comment
      My apologies SoOrbudgal if this came off as aggressive. Just speaking what little mind I have under the header of My Opinion

BU2B would use DMB lyrics to describe the state of GWE..I can understand where you’re coming from about the 1% active membership, but I feel like the civility on this site is far better than other sites I’ve seen. While I haven’t been online too much, anytime I find myself lurking another site I instantly remember why I love GWE. Idk just my 2 cents. Everywhere else still feels like a big website and this still feels like a caring yet dysfunctional community, to me.
    4x4
    Bubbly rdwc
    ES300s
    Cold water
    GH flora
    Mistakes

Comment

• BU2B
      BU2B commented
      Editing a comment
      Sino I will have to admit I really haven’t been around much as of late. My choice - as I needed some time to put all my pieces as close to where they should be as possible before I continued the process of carrying on as if I were normal. I didn’t make the comments to step on anyone’s toes or be a pain in the a$$ but because I value GWE, its members and its contribution to the cannabis community. I now am on other sites and see them growing, thriving, adding members that stay active and the people are generally NICE to each other. The talent is here, the information is researched and top notch I don’t want to see it go away! Ever! I know the plan is to carry on carrying on, but at what point does all the love and best intentions end? .25% ? Yes the pandemic is mostly over and people have moved on with their lives. The question that worries me is why for many other sites other than this one; moving on with their lives includes growing, showing and continuing to learn and share with the community they learned from?

My mistake - sorry. 🤐 I’m not pointing fingers - just worried. If everyone is happy far be it from me to stir up the pool. Have a good one folks.

Due to Site limitations editing of the original post is not allowed. Please accept my apologies if I came across as brash, abusive, condescending or aggressive in my original post - that was not and is not the intent. If you care to read an edited version of the original post it is included below:

One by one could we turn it around

An open letter to the GWE COMMUNITY

I was shocked when I stopped in today to see active membership down to about 1% of membership.

I started out lurking at GWE years ago, finally became a member about 5 years ago. This is the first cannabis grow site I ever went to other than High Times, so for me GWE just feels like home. I learned a lot here, met some truly amazing people, been able to share some of what I’ve learned over the years, and recently I’ve been a bit puzzled by site statistics.

Put on your big boy pants; I think it’s time for a seriously serious talk.

These are just my thoughts and are in no particular order of importance - PLEASE NOTE these my opinions and may or may not be the same as yours.

• Like (👍🏼) other peoples work! They have dodged all the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and are still happy to start a thread, show their work, and open themselves up to public criticism and critique. For crying out loud it takes a fraction of a second to click a thumbs up and show your support. It is a travesty that amazing threads like Show Your Grow which has over 10k posts has less than 50 likes for the thread! Click 👍🏼 on the first post of a thread, please. You like it when others like your stuff, be kind, unwind and show your fellow growers some love!
    • Quit beating each other up for differences of opinion that in reality have no consequence! We are all here to learn, to share or to enjoy the company of others who share our fondness for cannabis. If you have an opinion - fine state it AS YOUR OPINION and carry on carrying on. The other person has as much right to their opinion as you do yours. However; when I see people beating others up for doing the same thing they are doing (growing) just in a different way or not being well versed, it gets a bit ridiculous!
    • For me, it came down to just flat out tiring of fighting for civility as the main reason I don’t visit as often as I once used to.
    • Greet new members!
    & have given us an excellent site with great information and a place to share with & learn from others all in one place; take a moment to welcome new members! Sirius has insured their moniker is noted. A few seconds is all it takes to let them know you’re happy they’ve joined the dysfunctional - but happy crew!
    • Blow up your TV, throw your politics & religion to the wind, be kind to each other and save the shit we’ve all been shoveling for your plants. We will all be a lot better off for it in the end.
    https://GrowWeedEasy.com with friends, family, enemies -anyone who grows or is considering cannabis cultivation and when they get here roll out the red carpet, spark up a bowl, throw them a party and turn those enemies into friends who have the same goal as yourself, maybe just a different method of execution.

Mercy, can we overcome this? One by one can we turn it around and carry on just a little bit longer, while I try to give you what you need? - Dave Mathews Band​​​
    ✌️
    Last edited by BU2B; 11-16-2022, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I agree that being more welcoming to new members is something we've all struggled with. I try my best to be helpful, but I don't consider myself extremely knowledgeable. My sarcasm probably doesn't help either, lol.
      Back to playin in the dirt!
      Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
      I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread. I formed a pretty fair assessment of this and Growweedeasy.com early on.

It's primarily a rare, rare (forgive the pun) grassroots HELP site, relatively devoid of politics and rancor.

I perceive it's the first stop in most people's successful growing journeys...but collectively we're most just "askholes". We ask our questions and after garnering enough wisdom and experience, leave.

There is a committed small group (you know who you are) that are always ready to offer their unselfish guidance to any who stop by...I am not one of them.

If I have something I consider relevant/helpful, I share.

Most of my visits these days are quick check-ins. We've had some commercial growers stop by, beseeching your guidance. I'm always curious when they visit THIS side of the tracks.

For those of you who forge on, giving us great "unwashed" your nurturing guidance, I SALUTE you!!!!
        A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

Man I'm just here to get laid........
          aaaand a sunset. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221109_164215294_HDR.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	580562
          keeping it green with the soil thing
          love me some frosty autos
          braap
          BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
          Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
          the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
          blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• Bowhunterwoody
            Bowhunterwoody commented
            Editing a comment
            That was funny.

• BU2B
            BU2B commented
            Editing a comment
            Bowhunterwoody I know this clown. He grows some great weed, is quick to share a joke & takes amazing photos but he’s got a nasty braaaap(sigh) 😂

• grouchyoldman
            grouchyoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretty sunset And a fat striper!
            Priceless.

I don’t post often because I’m still trying to get the hang of growing so my advice 99.9% of the time would be s##t. However, I check in every day and read all the new posts as seeing what problems folks have and how to solve/ avoid them is part of the learning process. I only log in when I have something to say that I believe to be useful - so I would appear inactive as a member. I reckon a lot are like me. There are some very experienced growers here who help the likes of me and to them I offer my thanks but the last thing folks need is my advice!

No matter where you go there are always asses but there seem to be very few here - certainly compared to the rest of the internet! They often ask the question, don’t like the answer then get stroppy/pissy/abusive and don’t come back.

Overall, I think this site is a superb resource and incredibly helpful. I may be a lurker but I’m a very grateful one.

Comment

Being a night owl not by design when I came here later at night I'd look for a new grower or someone with questions, even if I couldn't help I'd try to draw attention so someone else would help them. I miss seeing some of the regulars here and worry about them, many of us are old. TBH, it started feeling clique-y here, for me. I follow a few FB groups, mostly outdoor cult, or processing, ichibon. I've seen several people say they started here and now they're on Facebook and it seems like a great community. I wondered why they left here but never asked. Anyway, if I never feel better to grow again I'll never forget Mr.furley and others who helped get me through my disaster. I still have two jars of my best cola, I had to cut it up to fit. It still smells good too. I decided if I got tolerance I'd save the best for last, and I still want someone to squish some of it for me.
            Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
            Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
            Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
            Various size fabric grow bags
            Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
            4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
            Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

I too have noticed a drop of of both regulars as well as newbies posting questions. Part of this is probably burnout or boredom of the regulars. Another part is that the pandemic is largely under control and many people who were doing this as a Covid hobby have moved on to other things, such as work. I seldom post any original material. I mostly just reply to others questions or posts. Even then, I do not post on anything that involves hydro, coco, or outdoors, as I do not have much experience with these.
              Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
              5 gallon cloth pots
              30"x30"x60" tent
              Spider Farmer SE3000
              Coco Pearlite mix
              GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I'd have to agree with Glenganja.
                I bet there's alot more lurkers here then they/we put on.
                Show yourselves! Lol.
                Seriously though, we don't bite. I was a lurker for quite sometime, and am very glad that I decided to join the fray.
                Back to playin in the dirt!
                Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
                I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

BU2B...thx for starting this thread. Everything I know about growing I've learned here. Not to say that I am an expert but I've learned a little bit. When I first started on here I was laughed at and ridiculed because of my handle, golfnrl. Someone said I must be boring because...golf. I was also excoriated a little further along, but still relatively new, because I was trying to come up with an automatic watering system to fit my heavy travel schedule. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was bastardizing growing cannabis. Period. And basically, I wasn't wanted on here. I thought I had crossed some kind of line, but I made it through that, off-putting as it still is. I'm hesitant to comment on systems/grows that I have no experience with, like hydro, etc. And I can tell from the types of comments from others that I still don't know sh!t. So I might seem like just a lurker. But I do have my .02 and am not afraid to share it considering that I wouldn't want to give a comment that caused someone more issues. I started growing in soil because I thought that was the easiest method for a complete novice like me. I've since moved on to what I have now. I found a grow system that works for me, autopots, and I like it. Now, I'm trying to perfect it to my way of applying what I have learned here. I think I might be on to something. Regardless, it's a great day at GWE and my house because I'm going to enjoy the best marijuana I have ever experienced and I grew it myself from what I have learned on here. Now, if I can just perfect gummies, and cannabis infused salve/lotion I'll be happy. But that's another story.
                  Last edited by golfnrl; 11-16-2022, 11:49 AM. Reason: fixed some typos
                  Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
                  Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
                  Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• BR2K
                    BR2K commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That reminds me of when I first joined and started contributing.

A poster had requested advice on their setup. I admitted in my first sentence, that I was brand new. I then went on to regurgitate what I have learned on GWE Mothership.

The poster then jumped all over me because I was new...even though my research was sound.

The heroic denizens of this forum jumped to my defense, browbeating the OP and complimenting my advice.

I'm still here, the OP is long gone, AFAIK.

Sometimes people take a break from online shit..I was away for a while so that may have contributed to the low membership. I use this forum exclusively and have never strayed from my grow friends here.

Namaste.
                  I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Thanks for your comments dilvish and welcome back.

PLEASE (pretty please?) don’t take this wrong but on a completely different note and in the spirit of helping … Namaste is a salutation not a valediction. YogaJournal.com says “Using namaste at the end of a yoga class is, at the very least, puzzling to some South Asians.

“In my personal experience living in India and with my elders and family here in the U.S., Namaste or Namaskar is said when I meet and greet an elder. Not when I leave,” writes Susanna Barkataki, author of Embrace Yoga’s Roots: Courageous Ways to Deepen Your Yoga Practice.

But it’s not just a simple, “Hey there.”

“It’s rather formal,” she says. In South Asian culture, it’s most often used as a greeting of deep respect, reserved for elders, teachers, or other honorables. In this way, there’s a bit of hierarchy attached: A young person is more likely to use it to greet an elder; a student would address a teacher this way.”
                    ​☸️✌️

Comment

My closing thoughts on this thread and topic and why I think it’s important to start it in the first place-

Let me start first by making the following statement; There are a lot of good people on GWE and a lot of exceptional members. The information provided by our GWE Hosts is extensive, researched, documented, extremely well written and easy to follow. Both the Site and its members can help solve, remedy and improve growing knowledge and skill to cover just about any imaginable cannabis conundrum. It is a valuable resource that deserves by it very nature the right to continue doing what it is doing, helping cannabis cultivators regardless of their local laws, freedoms or restrictions.

As of this week we now share our planet with 8 billion other hairless apes with shoes. Astronomer and professor Carl Sagan once said, “The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.” That statement is more true today than ever! I’m a real product of my generation and relate most things to music, it’s just what I do, and I truly believe the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls so to speak. So, as Carol King would say “Maybe I’m wrong, but I want to believe in humanity”

I know far too often we get so caught up in wrote and habit and that like Elvis Costello we can question “What’s so great about peace, love and understanding?” and sometimes forget it’s real worth.

I realize I’m as big a pain in the a$$ to someone as they are to me. But, I’m not trying to be it just comes natural. Just like being you comes natural to you. I really feel we need to quit making concessions for ourselves to find ways to get our jabs in and hurt each other and start working on ways to start accomplishing the same goals; making the world the better place we think it should be! If we can’t just walk together and be happy for the company and we’re cannabis consumers and growers the future for our kind whatever you think we are is not looking that rosy. All I’m really saying is -

WE CAN WALK OUR ROAD TOGETHER, IF OUR GOALS ARE ALL THE SAME. WE CAN RUN ALONE AND FREE IF WE PURSUE A DIFFERENT AIM. LET THE TRUTH OF LOVE BE LIGHTED. LET THE LOVE OF TRUTH SHINE CLEAR. SENSIBILITY, ARMED WITH SENSE AND LIBERTY, WITH THE HEART AND MIND UNITED IN A SINGLE PERFECT SPHERE.
                      the sphere - RUSH

That choice is ours to make

“Give, always give what you can, even when your allies draw lines in the sand. And dig, yes dig a little deeper. Sometimes it’s hard to be your brothers keeper.” - Nahko & Medicine for the People ‘love letters to god’

All my best, always
                      ✌️☸️

Comment

• golfnrl
                        golfnrl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I hear ya. Funny, I relate a lot to music as well. Song lyrics pop into my head regularly. Like this one as I was reading your post, Everything is Broken. A Bob Dylan tune. Probably many versions out there, but the words...broken hands on broken ploughs, broken treaties, broken vows, broken pipes, broken tools, people bending broken rules, 'hound dog howlin'...bullfrog croakin'...everything is broken. I appreciate your perspective on this. I'm here to learn how to grow a better product and learn the skills to have the best environment I can provide for my plants. I feel connected to them; since they are relying solely on me I feel obligated to give them the best that I can. I'm learning to understand what I'm seeing as the plants grow and what they are telling me. Several regular contributors have commented about that and I'm now understanding what they mean. What goes around comes around. If I can help someone along the way and pass along some of the knowledge that has been given to me then so much the better. Being nice helps.

• BU2B
                        BU2B commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks golfnrl perfect close! For those who don’t know “Everything is Broken” is on the “OH MERCY” Album! 😂 Irony comes full circle ⭕️

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X