Back Filling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Filling

Have any of you entertained this technique (pinching off 1/2 of the buds). Supposedly it forces the bud to fill in and stop growing vertical. I was reading on this back in Sept when I realized the she was not going to come close to finishing and I really wanted the buds to fill in around all them dam leaves...

sorry guys the actual term is Back-building

Comment

So, did you do it?
      Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
      Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
      Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• changeofpace2014
        changeofpace2014 commented
        Editing a comment
        I did nip 1/2 " off each bud, and it did stop them from growing vertical, but there was not enough manageable weather left.. I think this might be a good technique for people trying to grow strains that can not finish in there geo area. 420 had a wright up on this but there article, was nothing like Nebulas usual wright ups / experiment...

• 90Gizmo
        90Gizmo commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I was thinking. The 420 write up only spoke of cosmetic reasons. Since then people have wondered about yield but I couldn't find anyone that actually weighed them. The write-up was 2014 or 2016... I'm skeptical. My take is that if it works it's the best kept secret in the industry. Still, I think it's worth a good test but not me until I learn to grow properly.

• changeofpace2014
        Editing a comment
        Have a look at our out door grow and all them dam leaves on the bud...It was my hope to stop the vertical growth and let the bud fill in. I had to trim that girl twice, the final was a buzz cut..My best guess is maybe 3 oz of dried..to small to even bring the scale out... Sorry that plant is in the outdoor grow only thread.

A little more digging...here are two threads regarding this technique..thc farmer has a few comparison pics.https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/bu...r-myth.102241/.

Rolltip has some feed back as well https://rollitup.org/t/pinching-top-....941455/page-2.

Perhaps a few of us can add a little more information or comparison...Growweedeasy is the best...maybe our own little green thumb gu ru will entertain an comparison wright up....and of coarse we can post results if any..

Comment

• changeofpace2014
        Editing a comment
        This technique might be effective at restricting height in really tight space, when every inch counts...

Well go down the rabbit hole..plants are 4 weeks into flowering and looking pretty good. The plan is to do this a few more times before harvest. There are a few buds to compare to but I will wait until the end..Yep snipped them all (?) on 2 plants.

...508.jpg was not snipped. Note: not sure if doing this created more resin but the buds are really sticky. I have not grown this strain before so maybe it is a sticky strain, however I have not read this anywhere.
      Attached Files

Comment

Could it be that what happens is your are essentially topping the bud and creating two buds sprouting from the one you cut so it provides the illusion of one wider bud (probably at the expense of bud length, I would guess)

Comment

• changeofpace2014
        Editing a comment
        I do not think it is going to create two buds, but rather force the snipped bud to fill in, before it starts growing vertical again. There are a few good threads on backfilling some with comparison pictures. The buds will take on a more plump and uniform characteristic.

few urls with some useful content. https://herbiesheadshop.com/blog/bac...or-fatter-buds.

https://www.420magazine.com/communit...r-buds.209274/.

I'm going to lean on the side of a real thing that works. I will admit, I was hesitant at first but I wanted to try it. Some of my tops started to bleach early into flower before I raised my light. I took this as an opportunity to test this bud back building technique. I applied it somewhere...

but from what i can tell backbuilding should be applied a few times from mid flower,not at the end, there needs to be time for the bud to recover. I suspect mileage will vary and certain strains may fair out better.

I will try it on these two blue berry and if i like the end result and think it is worth the effort; I will incorporate this process for next grow.

There starting to grow again, I had to look at the above post for t.s. It has been 9 days since the snip.

Comment

• Franklin
        Franklin commented
        Editing a comment
        SoOrbudgal hahaha I'll never get that image out of my head now. Sounds so painful to the plant.

• changeofpace2014
        Editing a comment
        smoke them...

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on there Franklin heehee

I will take a pic and post later today or that is the plan...

I let them get to close to the light and smoked the pistils, but no leaf burn....The new growth is coming in pretty again...15" in was the height a few days ago, still should be about the same...but 10" was to close and burnt off terps...Height is extremely limited...36" total - pot 11" , plants around 14 " ..it disappears very quick..

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear ya

there starting to come back in. These are recent but not today.
      Attached Files

Comment

Update pic posted in show your grow..I think 1/2 " snip is too much, one can see the flat bud, but the others have grown back nicely...Does it help?? I think more results are needed, but it did take over a week for the top s to start growing again..the girls are just over 7 weeks and they are to close to snip again IMO.. I think this technique should be started earlier..
        Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the update, i see what your saying. I might try this for shits an giggles on a photo grow i see no real harm just looks more like a hotdog bun instead of a tree cola.

• changeofpace2014
          Editing a comment
          I think 3/16 is ideal because 1/2 " crated too much bud damage.. Maybe 3 times during flowering..

A little update of how the buds grew back end after the circumcision...Some maintained the round end, while other allowed the pointed end to return. I think maybe it has to do with how much was snipped. I do think the bud focused energy on filling in after it was snipped before it repaired the damage.. Still on the Fence with this one.
        Note: It took 9 days for the bud tip to start growing in again, that leads me to suspect it was still growing but filling in. The over all plant height ended around 19" and that does include a 10" pot. Not bad for blueberry and thai x strawberry cough cross. The latter has grown over 7 ft outside and 5.5 ft with a inside manifold grow.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by changeofpace2014; 02-16-2023, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Blowdout2269
          Blowdout2269 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is a very interesting experiment.
          The plant looks great!
          🙂

• changeofpace2014
          Editing a comment
          thanks Blowdout

I am still on the fence with this one, but will try it again. One can see how the buds grew back in, especially on the end...Visually you can see some change in the buds growth.
        Attached Files

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X