No announcement yet.

Why is Fox Farm soil SOOO Acidic??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might consider using mulch, I just use rice hulls (they're much cheaper if you get them from home brewing stores instead of gardening stores, same stuff though!) You'll find you have to water far less.

Comment

Next grow of I do decide to use the remaining FF soil i have, I'll just add dolomite lime to it before i plant anything in it. That should resolve any of those pesky acidity issues. Not sure but i gotta be ready. Next grow is going to be a serious attempt. I haven't seriously tried since i lost my last grow to spider mites. So I'm nervous.

I've been testing soil pH, water pH, soil to perlite ratios, different soils, mixed of soils, super soils, liquid nutrients.... Man i feel like i tried it all. I want to have the same success as i did with the Blue Dream a year ago. Everything else had been crap that's ended up in brownies because it wasn't smokable.

Now i think i have the knowledge and all the experience of failure. I wanna give it a serious go again. I'm getting a mix pack on ILGM. I think I'm going with the super pack containing GSC, GG4 and Bruce Banner autos. Or the sweet pack with Wedding Cake, Gelato and Zkittles. I haven't decided yet. I really need those to be a success. Dispensaries are expensive and now with inflation it just sucks. Would be nice to have my own stuff and not spend so much money at the dispensaries because cancer is expensive af.

I have a good plan. Only thing i haven't decided yet is if i wanna do 2 gallon or 3 gallon buckets. .... I have low ceilings.... I can only have maybe 3-4 feet max height.
      Peace. Love. Mushrooms and Weed.
      ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱
      Current grows:🪴

Pineapple Express (Barney's Farm)
      MAC1 (Blimburn)
      Tangie o' matic (420 Fast Buds) *autoflower
      Blue Dream (Blimburn)

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin
      T- 🫖Black Tea Kombucha (Fermentaholics SCOBY)

🍄Tidal wave 3x
      🍄Treasure Coast 3x

Comment

• No3odiesShad0w
        No3odiesShad0w commented
        Editing a comment
        3Berries YES!! That's exactly what I'm going to do as well. I'm going to add some dolomite lime to the FF soil and goodbye acidity issues. The one that i added the lime to is doing the best out of all of them.
        I also add 20-30% perlite to the soil as well. I believe i have Forum size perlite. Drainage..... Is.... IMPORTANT AF! I killed a plant before because of drainage issues. Never again! Add about 3oz per gallon of my special blend super soil. In the center i do a 50/50 mix of perlite and soil because the center always has more moisture. No compost because it would be too hot. And yeah that seems to be the winning blend for these autoflowers

• 3Berries
        3Berries commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm at 8 weeks on an auto in the FF OF and I'm having to lay on the nutes pretty heavy. pH of the run off was 6.6 yesterday.

• No3odiesShad0w
        No3odiesShad0w commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been adding molasses and a compost flower boosting top dress. For bloom. I think they have plenty nutes. What was killing me was the soil pH but i think that's under control

All the girls are doing great. With the minor water pH adjustments, I've noticed plenty new growth. Even droopy is exploding with new growth. All those soil acidity issues but she turned it around at the end and it looks like I'll have some popcorn nugs but wow is there lots of trichromes.

I spread and tied the branches for my main girl to give those small buds some light penetration. We're down to the last week or 2 so i need her to get more chunky everywhere. Some gentle spreading gives all the flowers some light and i lowered the lights 3 inches. 22 inches from the top.
      ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱

MAC1 (Blimburn)
      Blue Dream (Blimburn)

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin

🍄Tidal wave 3x
      🍄Treasure Coast 3x

Comment

I did some math to figure out the actual sizes of the buckets i have. Turns out the square one is 4 gallons not 3 gallons. My red and white buckets are 2.3 gallons and my current grow is in 1.1 gallon buckets.
        The 1.1 is too small. The 4 gallon might be pushing it. The 2.3 might be a bit small. I would like 3 gallons because of my height restriction.
        Getting everything ready for the next one. It's going to be for real real. Not just messing around and testing stuff.
        ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱

MAC1 (Blimburn)
        Blue Dream (Blimburn)

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin

🍄Tidal wave 3x
        🍄Treasure Coast 3x

Comment

I think they might be ready!!
          ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱

MAC1 (Blimburn)
          Blue Dream (Blimburn)

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin

🍄Tidal wave 3x
          🍄Treasure Coast 3x

Comment

Cool, it's so rad that you were able to pull this around. They look great

Comment

My auto in FF OF. 10 weeks Bubba kush. It started showing the need for nutes at 8 weeks so next time it's start boosting the nutes at 6 weeks, and calcium for the stretch. Then more Mg for the flower.

I added perlite and limestone. pH has always been spot on at 6.7 the few times I got run off. Really limited the excess water on this one. Been giving it 50/50 rain well water for the Ca. Just a boost a couple times.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Buuba Kush auto 10w.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	581939

Comment

• No3odiesShad0w
                No3odiesShad0w commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah apparently I was under feeding mine I could have had even better results. I mean it's a given since I was using 1 gallon pots with 30% perlite... So there wasn't much soil in there much less nutrition but it did work.

• 3Berries
                3Berries commented
                Editing a comment
                Depending on the soil I start with I usually go 15% or less on the perlite. Most mixes already have some or vermiculite. When I went higher then the water just runs through and you need to do twice a day or more waterings. During the mid flower time mine are the thirstiest and I would let the pot sit in the run off to soak it up assuming the pH is OK on the run off.

The next 4 I'll feed regularly. They're looking really good and just starting to bloom but they're going to be fantastic. Just by how healthy they look.
              ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱

MAC1 (Blimburn)
              Blue Dream (Blimburn)

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin

🍄Tidal wave 3x
              🍄Treasure Coast 3x

Comment

The experiment continues!!

It's crazy how different soils make so much of a difference in appearance and ease of care. Despite being acidic, the FF soil still outperforms the Espoma soil in every way. I've been watering with water pH 6.5-6.8. That's just the range i get from my under the sink filtration. So i try not to mess with it too much. The plants in the FF soil are averaging 5.9 for the really dark girl and around 3.9-4.0 for the really big bushy one. Which was GREAT during veg but now that it's switching to bloom, I'm noticing the red stems all over. I need to raise the pH before the deficiencies really set in. The dark one i just keep watering with the same water since it's looking okay.

Now the ones in the Espoma soil. After watering with 6.5 water, i get runoff at 7.33 pH. That's way too high and it shows in the plants. They're an ugly yellow color. They gained no length during the pre bloom stretch. The only up side is that the flowers petals are huge, but you can see the red stems this time because the soil pH is too high. So i started watering these with water pH'd to about 5.9-6.0. I'm hoping that will give me some improvement.
                It's evident that the Espoma soil isn't great for weed growing unless you have an acidic water source then it might be great. I also noticed it has gnats. The FF soil is clean while the fly catchers in the Espoma soil are covered with gnats. For me the results have not been great but that's in part my fault. I should have checked the run off sooner. At the same time, the smallest ugliest plant grew into the biggest and bushiest plant. Seems like they like acidic veg state. Bloom still needs to be within that sweet spot range.

These experiments really helped me learn a lot about my water, about the soils and the super soils and compost that i use for all the nutrition. It was also a test grow to see if there's any spider mites..... After i lost my whole grow to a huge infestation, i wanted to make sure the room was sterile again and ready to start over. I'm getting all green lights on all ends.

For the next serious grow, i decided to go with the FF soil again. I know how it acts and reacts to amendments. I've used it successfully in the past. I'm going to stick with it for the serious grow. I have everything but the seeds, which should be here next week.... Maybe later because Christmas and shipping delays and stuff.

I'm going to take the FF Happy Frog and add perlite, some dolomite lime and compost soil. The middle I'll just do FFHF and perlite for the seedling and better drainage in the center.
                ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱

MAC1 (Blimburn)
                Blue Dream (Blimburn)

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin

🍄Tidal wave 3x
                🍄Treasure Coast 3x

Comment

It's crazy how different each plant looks. They're all the Northern Lights Autoflower variety. They were all planted on the same day. The ones in the espoma soil started blooming around November 20 while the ones in the FF soil just started blooming only now. I wonder if the pH of the soil and stress levels had anything to do with that.
                  ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱

MAC1 (Blimburn)
                  Blue Dream (Blimburn)

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin

🍄Tidal wave 3x
                  🍄Treasure Coast 3x

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X