My first grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first grow

Hello everyone! this is my first grow. growing in a 5x5x86 tent. Lots to learn apparently lol. still learning to read the plant. Overwatering is a big deal still. Trying to keep the PH level around 6 has been a challenge. I'll be upgrading my pots with a drain plug and air lines to keep from having root rot. I think this is why the PH levels have been fluctuating. there is proper ventilation and air movement. For co2, Im using an exhale bag that I hung up in the corner above a fan. I know that everyone loves the LED's but I went traditional with a dimmable ballast HID MH and HID HPS.1000w is too much for right now. They been doing better under the 750w setting. I planted the "mystery" seeds (2) at the same time back in March. I been vegging them out as long as I can but, Im concerned about final size bc of the heat and space. I tried some light bending techniques instead of topping. Shes about 3.5' tall so far...trying to grow it wide before tall. When I feed them, they been taking 960ppm of nutrients for about 2 weeks now. I know these pics are definitely NOT High Times pics but for not knowing the strain and being new, at least I havent killed em yet! lol! It's a fun hobby. Any helpful tips would be great. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Take Care!

Hi Bee,
    Need to stay on top of that PH. In and out. Needs to be 6.5, not 6, in soil. Good sized tent! Flip to flower once you reach half of your desired height. Keep us posted and take advantage of the GWE site, which is full of great information!
    Photo Grow: 2 Strawberry Cough
    Manifold Training
    4x2x6 Grow Tent
    (2) ViparSpectras 450W LED
    AC Infinity Cloudline T6 & Carbon Filter
    Extra Fan, Humidifier
    FFOF Soil
    FF Trio Nutes
    Temp: 80* RH: 50%
    Well Water Adjusted to 6.5 ph

Comment

• BeeGinner
      BeeGinner commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Mystic Thank You for the good info. The dang PH just keeps on going straight up to 7 even after using PH down. Ill calibrate the H2o all the way down to 5.5 and in 24 hrs, its straight back to 7 again. Im thinking I have root rot. found some clear-ish white things swimming around in the residual H2o this morning. In the process of "airing" it out. Thanks again for responding to me so quickly.

• BeeGinner
      BeeGinner commented
      Editing a comment
      my set up:
      5x5x86 HD tent by Covert
      1000w HID dimmable ballast w reflector w 1000w MH & HPS for flowering
      3 fans
      1 inline 6" fan for the light
      5000btu AC
      tent temp 77*F
      H2o PH 6.5 (for now on)
      Turned out to be root rot. bottom of plant stunk...some roots were rotted away. Changed the 5 gal buckets, cleaned and sanitized. Also added clay pellets until I can get an air stone or 5..
      Take Care again!

Welcome to the Club, BeeGinner. Say Bee, do you take your Gin with tonic or with an olive?

The PH issues are quite evident in the 2nd pic. I grow in soil and keep my PH around 6.8. You are obviously quite enamored with the technical aspects of this avocation. However, if you don't get the PH under control, it will all be for naught. Concentrate on that right now. Measure both input and output every single time you give them water. It needs to become your mantra to prepare for entry into the nirvana, that is your first toke of your very own weed.
    I
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• BeeGinner
      BeeGinner commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello kind Sir! After reading various articles on the site here, I've come to the conclusion that I might be risking root rot. Found some clear-ish white things swimming in the residual H2o this morning. Not good. I decided to go ahead and drain the h2o out and let them dry out for a day or two. I been noticing that the rise in PH so quickly could be attributed to root rot. rising from 5.5 all the way to 7 in 24 hrs. In about 2 more days because of budget restraints; I'll be able to upgrade my pots with air lines and those bubbler things usually found in a fish tank. I forget what they are called. Also, a drain plug and air pump. .. 2 books I read on my spare time are Ed Rosenthals Oaksterdam University and Greg Green's Cannabis Grow Bible and if I may say so, the first edition is way better than the 3rd. If your intrigued about these "mystery" seeds, they have all been given to me by other growers from places I been...like Deadwood, OR. Home of Jack Herer I been told. I also have a few other strains from OR called Warlock and Headband. But who knows? its easy to give a seed to someone and say it's this or that. I'll be sending the pics of every plant I start. Thanks for your time and your help. Take Care!

• BeeGinner
      BeeGinner commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty sure it was root rot. I took the plant inserts out of 5 gal buckets. Smelled the bottom of the pot and the h2o. Stunk real bad. Some roots broke off due to rot. Zero h2o added. Used some clay pellets for drainage until I get air stones. All buckets are now cleaned and sanitized and changed new. waiting to see what happens. I took pics of the roots. will have em up soon. Thanks again! Take Care!

• BeeGinner
      BeeGinner commented
      Editing a comment
      OldManGrower, Im a beer guy. I also have my own bee colonies. part of the reason for the name. I have been known to enjoy a dirty martini once though. lol

BeeGinner How are you measuring pH? If you are using a digital meter, you need to calibrate it before each use. If you don't, might as well guess. They are a PITA and subject to calibration drift and failure, particularly the inexpensive units. Consider using pH papers instead. Quick, easy, accurate (enough for growing cannabis), no calibration.

Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X