Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NuggetMan
    replied
    I only had this issue 1 time, just my 2 cents...

Leave a comment:

• 3Berries
    commented on 's reply
    You will never get all the adults.

• Going2fast
    replied
    Fungus gnats are only a problem at sprout and early veg. They will stunt a young plant if too many. Diatomaceous earth powder sprinkled around the plant and keep it dry. Problem solved. Food grade as well as ag or in my case aquarium grade works fine.

Leave a comment:

• NuggetMan
    replied
    Kill the parents, no eggs, no larvae.

Leave a comment:

• 3Berries
    commented on 's reply
    https://www.amazon.com/Gideal-20-Pac.../dp/B07QKLHH5X

But this doesn't stop the larvae from eating the roots. That's the real issue.
    Last edited by 3Berries; 06-27-2022, 06:43 AM.

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    OldManGrower I clicked on the link, but there was no there there...

• OldManGrower
    replied
    These work GREAT! they're quite inexpensive and I only use about 1/3 of a sheet at a time. These plus controlled watering and I have almost no gnats. https://www.amazon.com/Gideal-20-Pac...ies-Leafminers

Leave a comment:

• TjckTock
    replied
    Nip it in the bud as soon as you see 'em. They are not harmless. They damage the roots and get stuck in the buds during flower. Bug zapper is not the aroma most of us are looking for. I use 1" of sand on top of my soil (prevents them from emerging from the soil during that phase of growth) - and keep Neem oil spray handy to hit the couple that somehow find a way through.

Leave a comment:

• Rwise
    replied
    Orange peel on the soil can help, they dont like oranges.

Leave a comment:

• alltatup
    replied
    I use Mosquito bits in my hydroponic setup when I see a gnat. I sprinkle it in the LECA and make sure to water it daily to kill the larvae. I also put a yellow sticky paper with the plants to attract the adults. And I act as soon as I see one gnat, because as quirk says, they get bad real fast if you don't nip them in the bud, so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• quirk
    replied
    While the ones flying around seem annoying, the real damage is being done out of your sight. Each female can lay up to 200-300 eggs in damp soil. These will hatch in three days and the larvae begin feeding on root hairs, organic material and fungi. Their numbers will increase quickly and exponentially cause real root damage if not cut off at the pass. As suggested above, 24/7 air circulation to keep the medium on the surface dry and make it difficult to land and lay. Mosquito bit drench, before, and during grow. When I premoisten my 5gal airpots before planting, I do so with a mosquito bit drench to eliminate and prevent fungus gnat larvae.

Leave a comment:

• NuggetMan
    replied
    I tried the Neem oil and to me (my own opinion) the yellow sticky traps worked better (for me) and yes you can spray Neem Oil directly onto the plant, not just the soil (I guess it depends on what brand you use).

Leave a comment:

• User420111
    replied
    I spray some neem oil in water on the soil. Not on the plant. Seems to work great I usually only need to do it once

Leave a comment:

• NuggetMan
    replied
    get some sticky traps.

Leave a comment:

• demcc3
    commented on 's reply
    OMG!! I love this: "....The only thing you should test on animals is BBQ sauce!"

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X