Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colloidal silver to force a male- is this what is supposed to happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The CS is only applied to the female plant for conversion to male to generate pollen. After the pollen is collected the male plant is incinerated or otherwise disposed of as the CS makes it toxic to use for any type of consumption (I have read). The pollen is then transferred to another female for seed production without transferring any kind of chemical contamination. This started as a project to attempt to save the genetics of a desired strain and the decision to try had to be made without knowing what the final product would be. But as fate would have it, the genetics were not pure. This was known last year, and the progeny of last year's wayward pollen are not showing the same characteristics as the mother. No way to tell for sure until the mother is harvested, but the aroma is way different. So this entire thing could turn out to be an academic learning experience. Now if I only could figure a way to save genetics from dried flowers...
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Week 5 bloom, day 1

The forced male, many flowers were trimmed leaving the main center stalk and 2 side branches with balls, a few have opened, they appear empty...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_113646-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	686.5 KB ID:	568035
      Fitted with a plate to catch pollen, looks like one of those cones you put on an animal to keep them from getting at something.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_113633-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	629.9 KB ID:	568036
      closer

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_113704-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	567.1 KB ID:	568037
      even closer

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_114529-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	586.8 KB ID:	568038
      Then I decided that it would be easier with most of the excess leaves removed. I just hope there is something in there to use.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that's a great way to collect pollen. I even do similar on the clones to help them stay up. Poke a hole in the plate cut it down to over the glass pop a clone threw it. Hope someone new sees this Ckbrew

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        You Cone of Shamed weed, LoL.

Week 5 bloom, day 5 RP-1 force male pollen maker

I never thought I would see the day when this was a good thing.Interesting plant. Usually these are disposed of.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220622_215502-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	698.6 KB ID:	568337

I was waiting for pollen then doh't- using a white plate. I finally found a good use for junk mail.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20220622_215527-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	653.4 KB ID:	568338

Tomorrow, like rabbits I will bring the female to the male and use my paint brush to pollinate it's clone sister.
      Last edited by Ckbrew; 06-22-2022, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Hold on a second! It sounds like you have some amazing offers! You would be a fool to pass them up. A fool, I say!
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

The best offer is tumbling down slope leaving that trail of powder, you could be right, this project could be a fool's errand. Waiting on harvest of the mother for the final verdict.

Comment

Week 6 bloom, day 1 male
            and
            Week 4 bloom, day 1
            female

I brought the female to the male, collected a bunch of pollen, and painted it on the pistils of the female plant. I will repeat this process in 3 days. After that, the male plant will be disposed of.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220625_121949-A.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	774.5 KB
ID:	568644
            The two breeders sharing the nursery

Name:	20220625_122008-A.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	580.3 KB
ID:	568645
            A close up of a freshly pollinated flower. Doesn't look any different yet.

Comment

• Ace1973
              Ace1973 commented
              Editing a comment
              I pollinated every day for three days, your pistils will turn orange and curl in, you will have a five to six week wait for your seeds.

• Ckbrew
              Ckbrew commented
              Editing a comment
              Ty Ace1973 First time doing this, details sometimes make a difference.

• Ace1973
              Ace1973 commented
              Editing a comment
              not a problem Ckbrew been doing this for two years and you have done well for your first time, you will go crazy with breeding seeds, I have thousands from different plants, and this is better than keeping a mother plant.

Week 6 bloom, day 3 male
            and
            Week 4 bloom, day 3 female

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220627_121816-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	781.5 KB ID:	568878
            Back in the nursery, RP-1 female seed breeder, all alone. After 3 consecutive days of pollination the male was chopped. I saved 3 male colas in a paper grocery bag and will let it dry out, maybe save some pollen. I am pondering moving this plant back to the main grow area as the lights in the nursery are not adequate for a proper grow. I was wondering if in a few weeks I spray the plant down with water in the hope of killing any pollen that might be remaining on the plant to avoid cross contamination. Good idea or bad? What have other people done?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220627_121841-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	587.0 KB ID:	568879
            Close up of one of the flowers. Some of the pistils are getting thinner and slightly curved, almost like the plant stopped supplying water to them. Hard to tell in the pix. The sisters in the experimental grow do not have the same appearance, so I am guessing that this was a successful pollination.
            Last edited by Ckbrew; 06-28-2022, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• grouchyoldman
              grouchyoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              Good job Ckbrew! I think you'll find your Lady to have been fully pollenated and a big pile of seeds await you.

Regarding a water spray before returning her to the rest of your plants, the general advice is YES! Spray her down really well, let her dry then do it again. Otherwise you are almost certain to have cross contamination. A friend with much more experience than I put it like this: "Treat live pollen as though it were weaponized ebola gas and you'll be in the ballpark!" BTW, if you are storing any extra pollen be sure to dry it really well, sieve out any plant material then put it in the freezer for storage. Should be good for at least a few months that way.

• Ckbrew
              Ckbrew commented
              Editing a comment
              Ty Grouchy. Is there any length of time to wait from pollination to water washing? Good thing I am using sterile technique with the pollen.

• grouchyoldman
              grouchyoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              " Is there any length of time to wait from pollination to water washing?"

Really good question and the consensus among those who know more than I is that It takes somewhere between an hour and overnight to be sure your pollination was successful before washing down the plant. I only waited an hour on my last pollination and I don't think it was as successful as previous attempts when I let them sit overnight. What is nice is that if you thoroughly wash down the pollinated plant is really does seem to make it safe to bring her back to the growroom with your other plants without cross pollination.

Week 4 bloom, day 4 seed maker

Name:	20220628_120456-A.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	577.6 KB
ID:	569013
            If you zoom in you can see that many pistils are turning brown, they look bruised, and starting to curl and deflate like they would in a older flower. I guess this means that there is successful pollination.

Name:	20220628_122608A.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	569014

Comment

• Ace1973
              Ace1973 commented
              Editing a comment
              you did it right, give it a couple of days more and in a week or two you will see the calyxes swell, I really envy on your first time you did better than me.

• Ckbrew
              Ckbrew commented
              Editing a comment
              Ty Ace1973 . I have GWE and the advice from people on this forum to thank for helping me to accomplish this.

Congrats. I believe she is preggers. The pollinated ones will begin to swell quickly. Here's mine 3weeks from pollination. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220629_175355577_HDR.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	569119
            keeping it green with the soil thing
            love me some frosty autos
            braap
            BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
            Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
            the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
            blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

I have been looking at GWE and GH site for information on feeding schedules for a seed plant. Do you do anything different from the normal bloom schedule? extra grow? My search came up empty.

Comment

• grouchyoldman
                grouchyoldman commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi again CK, I went asking around looking for an answer to feeding a seeded plant and the advice seems to be normal balanced Veg nutes right through the seeds ripening. Here's a quote from an old school grower: "I should say a well balanced nutrient, don’t skimp out on the N. Gives them more of the nutrients that’s needed for seeds, and hopefully Keeps them from fading out before the seeds are mature. I’ve been giving the seeds 6wks from the last pollination, or until the buds themselves die and dry on their own and the seeds are popping out."

I kept on the normal flower nute schedule and still got a good result but his advice is probably better.

• Ckbrew
                Ckbrew commented
                Editing a comment
                Ty GOM, just what I needed to know.

For this run I'm experimenting. First time in such small containers. I was gifted a liquid flower nute that I have been feeding them since week 2 of bloom. Seems to be keeping them alive. Other than that just recycled miracle grow organics and home made compost. Here's a pic of the product. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220629_201015465.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	569126
              keeping it green with the soil thing
              love me some frosty autos
              braap
              BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
              Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
              the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
              blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

Week 5 bloom, day 1

RP-1 seed maker was washed with water and dried twice, then put back in the tents with the sisters, experimental clones. So far no sigh of pollen contamination.

Name:	20220702_110200-A.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	726.0 KB
ID:	569347

A close up, the calyx are swelling, looks like the pollination took.

Name:	20220702_110644-A.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	569348
                Here come the seeds.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting development posting i'm really digging it. Thanks

Week 5 bloom, day 5 RP-1 seed maker

Name:	20220706_115630-A.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	878.3 KB
ID:	569704
                The seed maker and the two sisters, from the same mother, cut at the same time

Name:	20220706_115606-A.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	1,022.9 KB
ID:	569705
                Side by side, seeded on left, non seeded on right.

Name:	20220706_115844-A.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	573.3 KB
ID:	569706
                Seeded close up.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really great side by side i appriciate what you've done the last pic looks ready to " spill the beans " congrats

Week 6 bloom, day 7

RP-1 seed maker- Some new growth on the top of the flowers, don't know what to make of it. It is starting on the tops of several buds.

Name:	20220715_103802-A.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	560.8 KB
ID:	570445

And the unseeded sister

Name:	20220715_103812-A.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	686.3 KB
ID:	570446

Comment

Week 8 bloom, day 1

The seed clone (front) and experimental clones (rear) are marking time, and stacking up.

Name:	20220723_102551-A.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	914.1 KB
ID:	571362

View from above

Name:	20220723_102854-A.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	571363

With the clone sisters, seeded on right, non seeded on left

Name:	20220723_102915-A.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	919.0 KB
ID:	571364

A close up.
                  Can anyone tell me if the new growth is normal for a seed bearing plant? It is only on the tops of the buds but is still progressing.

Name:	20220723_103004A.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	571365

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X