Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colloidal silver to force a male- is this what is supposed to happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ckbrew
    replied
    Week 4 bloom, day 4 seed maker

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220628_120456-A.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	577.6 KB
ID:	569013
    If you zoom in you can see that many pistils are turning brown, they look bruised, and starting to curl and deflate like they would in a older flower. I guess this means that there is successful pollination.

Name:	20220628_122608A.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	569014

Leave a comment:

• Ckbrew
    commented on 's reply
    Ty Grouchy. Is there any length of time to wait from pollination to water washing? Good thing I am using sterile technique with the pollen.

• grouchyoldman
    commented on 's reply
    Good job Ckbrew! I think you'll find your Lady to have been fully pollenated and a big pile of seeds await you.

Regarding a water spray before returning her to the rest of your plants, the general advice is YES! Spray her down really well, let her dry then do it again. Otherwise you are almost certain to have cross contamination. A friend with much more experience than I put it like this: "Treat live pollen as though it were weaponized ebola gas and you'll be in the ballpark!" BTW, if you are storing any extra pollen be sure to dry it really well, sieve out any plant material then put it in the freezer for storage. Should be good for at least a few months that way.

• Ckbrew
    replied
    Week 6 bloom, day 3 male
    and
    Week 4 bloom, day 3 female

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220627_121816-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	781.5 KB ID:	568878
    Back in the nursery, RP-1 female seed breeder, all alone. After 3 consecutive days of pollination the male was chopped. I saved 3 male colas in a paper grocery bag and will let it dry out, maybe save some pollen. I am pondering moving this plant back to the main grow area as the lights in the nursery are not adequate for a proper grow. I was wondering if in a few weeks I spray the plant down with water in the hope of killing any pollen that might be remaining on the plant to avoid cross contamination. Good idea or bad? What have other people done?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220627_121841-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	587.0 KB ID:	568879
    Close up of one of the flowers. Some of the pistils are getting thinner and slightly curved, almost like the plant stopped supplying water to them. Hard to tell in the pix. The sisters in the experimental grow do not have the same appearance, so I am guessing that this was a successful pollination.
    Last edited by Ckbrew; 06-28-2022, 12:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ace1973
    commented on 's reply
    not a problem Ckbrew been doing this for two years and you have done well for your first time, you will go crazy with breeding seeds, I have thousands from different plants, and this is better than keeping a mother plant.

• Ckbrew
    commented on 's reply
    Ty Ace1973 First time doing this, details sometimes make a difference.

• Ace1973
    commented on 's reply
    I pollinated every day for three days, your pistils will turn orange and curl in, you will have a five to six week wait for your seeds.

• Ckbrew
    replied
    Week 6 bloom, day 1 male
    and
    Week 4 bloom, day 1
    female

I brought the female to the male, collected a bunch of pollen, and painted it on the pistils of the female plant. I will repeat this process in 3 days. After that, the male plant will be disposed of.

Name:	20220625_121949-A.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	774.5 KB
ID:	568644
    The two breeders sharing the nursery

Name:	20220625_122008-A.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	580.3 KB
ID:	568645
    A close up of a freshly pollinated flower. Doesn't look any different yet.

Leave a comment:

• Ckbrew
    replied
    The best offer is tumbling down slope leaving that trail of powder, you could be right, this project could be a fool's errand. Waiting on harvest of the mother for the final verdict.

Leave a comment:

• Gingerbeard
    replied
    Hold on a second! It sounds like you have some amazing offers! You would be a fool to pass them up. A fool, I say!

Leave a comment:

• Ckbrew
    replied
    Week 5 bloom, day 5 RP-1 force male pollen maker

I never thought I would see the day when this was a good thing.Interesting plant. Usually these are disposed of.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220622_215502-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	698.6 KB ID:	568337

I was waiting for pollen then doh't- using a white plate. I finally found a good use for junk mail.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220622_215527-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	653.4 KB ID:	568338

Tomorrow, like rabbits I will bring the female to the male and use my paint brush to pollinate it's clone sister.
    Last edited by Ckbrew; 06-22-2022, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SoOrbudgal
    commented on 's reply
    Now that's a great way to collect pollen. I even do similar on the clones to help them stay up. Poke a hole in the plate cut it down to over the glass pop a clone threw it. Hope someone new sees this Ckbrew

• Ckbrew
    replied
    Week 5 bloom, day 1

The forced male, many flowers were trimmed leaving the main center stalk and 2 side branches with balls, a few have opened, they appear empty...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_113646-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	686.5 KB ID:	568035
    Fitted with a plate to catch pollen, looks like one of those cones you put on an animal to keep them from getting at something.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_113633-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	629.9 KB ID:	568036
    closer

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_113704-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	567.1 KB ID:	568037
    even closer

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_114529-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	586.8 KB ID:	568038
    Then I decided that it would be easier with most of the excess leaves removed. I just hope there is something in there to use.

Leave a comment:

• grouchyoldman
    commented on 's reply
    With respect VaF, because you may know more than is apparent:

if you think you are buying anything remotely like "pure LANDRACES" from your local medical dispensary, or seed bank, you are deeply mistaken, and if your claim is that you have a personal seed bank of quintessential IBL genetics from Laos or wherever, then more power to you. But it must get boring growing the same thing over and over and over again...

It seems like you are missing out on some incredible advances in both cannabis breeding and cultivation. Nobody here "plants crap" and the "Chemistry" you disparage replicates the nutrients these plants require and receive naturally. Ckbrew explained how CS is used to encourage a female plant to produce natural and healthy pollen used for pollinizing a healthy female cannabis plant. That may be news to you but it is done every day in the Craft Cannabis growing community.

I admire your self-assurance but not your ignorance. Maybe you could lighten up a notch or two?

-Grouchy
    PS, Sorry VaF, that sounded way to harsh when I read it back, I really try not to get Grouchy but sometimes the bear gets loose.
    Last edited by grouchyoldman; 06-17-2022, 07:52 PM. Reason: Too Harsh.... apology is in order on my part.

• Ckbrew
    replied
    The CS is only applied to the female plant for conversion to male to generate pollen. After the pollen is collected the male plant is incinerated or otherwise disposed of as the CS makes it toxic to use for any type of consumption (I have read). The pollen is then transferred to another female for seed production without transferring any kind of chemical contamination. This started as a project to attempt to save the genetics of a desired strain and the decision to try had to be made without knowing what the final product would be. But as fate would have it, the genetics were not pure. This was known last year, and the progeny of last year's wayward pollen are not showing the same characteristics as the mother. No way to tell for sure until the mother is harvested, but the aroma is way different. So this entire thing could turn out to be an academic learning experience. Now if I only could figure a way to save genetics from dried flowers...

Leave a comment:

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X