Autos & container size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autos & container size

So they say SIZE matters... (no I'm not showing you my little pickle...)

To those of us who grow Auto Flower plants (autos NOT photos...) does it REALLY MATTER what size container we grow in? When they poke their little head out of the soil the clock starts. Does it matter if they are in a 2 gallon (my smallest) or a 5 gallon (my largest)??? I top my autos & LST each of them. They seem to grow (roughly) about the same height. Some strains grow large buds and some grow small buds but the height seems to be close when compared with the others.

Am I missing something here as a fairly new grower or is that what you all see as well?

It would be hard for our grow queen Nebula to do a grow experiment on that (all started from seed, no clones) but I hope to gather some options from some of you other growers as to what you think.

Thanks! Happy farming!
    Mother Earth Coco/Perlite 70/30
    Canna Coco Or
    Happy Frog soil
    Fox Farms nutrients trio
    Smart pots
    Vivosun tent, LED lite & fan

Semper Fi brothers and sisters!

My seeds came with instructions. "Expect a height of 2-4’ in a 2 gallon container. For a dense canopy plant approximately 20”-30” apart in the ground or in 2+ gallon pots. Plant closer if using smaller pots." ... So I don't expect *these* seeds to grow larger in a five gallon pot. YMMV
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• jamesphoto
      jamesphoto commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Unfortunately mine don't come with instructions but I get all the information I need right here on this website. But I have to agree with you, I don't believe my plants are any larger if I put them in bigger pots. Just what I've seen...

Personally I don't think autos get as big in anything less than a 5 gallon. Plants grow to the size of their pot to a certain extent. Autos can fill 3 gallons with roots they'll most times never fill a 5 gallon. Letting roots get a large as possible increases nutrient uptake and plant size. I start all autos in starter pots transplanting at 3 weeks, into 5 gallons. I'll add this I've never ran a auto in anything less than 5 gallons. I've grown photos in 10 gallons, 5, 3, and 2 gallons down to solo cups. Each pot size had a different plant size, which is why I've always used 5 gallons. Autos dont give but 4 to 6 ounces to begin with in trying to hit 6 or more with each grow.

Grew those during January and February harvested in March. That's our winter months January and February. Brought them in at 36° F and they only got 8 to 10 hrs of light a day. My own seeds made them anyways. Those others I have going now week 7. Pic showing all week 6 schedule to harvest july 13th or atleast harvest window
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GroBuddy; 05-28-2022, 10:56 AM.

Comment

My last grow I used two 5 gal pots and three 3 gal pots. Yield per plant (White Widow autos) were:

3 gallon pots

Plant 1: 47 grams
      Plant 2: 48 grams

5 gallon pots

Plant 1: 59 grams
      Plant 3: 62 grams

The smaller 5 gal plant was stunted from early on in the grow, so if we ignore that measurement, the data shows about 10 grams more per plant in 5 gal pots vs 3 gal.

Comment

Originally posted by RetiredGuy View Post
        My last grow I used two 5 gal pots and three 3 gal pots. Yield per plant (White Widow autos) were:

3 gallon pots

Plant 1: 47 grams

5 gallon pots

Plant 1: 59 grams
        Plant 3: 62 grams

The smaller 5 gal plant was stunted from early on in the grow, so if we ignore that measurement, the data shows about 10 grams more per plant in 5 gal pots vs 3 gal.

Didn't even get 3 oz out of your best plant they appear to all have been stunted. No offense. If you weighed wet instead of completely dry those numbers are even less. If growing indoors may need a better light, if you didn't mistakenly do something causing that.

Multiply your grow space and divide that by lights actual wattage pulled from wall. 30 watts a sqft is minimum youd want with a quality light like horticultural lighting group, growers choice, chill led, mars hydro FC-SERIES or FC-E series only. Spider farmer and blurples along with most others aren't quality lights. Or it's common to underestimate how much is needed for flower vs veg. If you don't start in smaller pots I highly recommend doing so. I dont have to but still choose to do so. Starting in smaller pots helps with root growth early since you can water the whole pot early and water from bottom early. It also helps extend soils ability to feed. Since you aren't washing out organic nutrients watering a big pot with little plant. Of course personal preference just what I've found that works and helps. Transplant autos at week 3 or day 21. By that time they should be topped if topping.
        Last edited by GroBuddy; 05-28-2022, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• RetiredGuy
          RetiredGuy commented
          Editing a comment
          GroBuddy, you obviously do better than me, I’m proud of you! You happy now?

For the record, I have a Mars Hydro SP3000 (300 watts) in a 2’ x 4’ cabinet.Overall yield was .88 grams /watt which according to main site is about as expected (.5 to 1 gems/watt). All weights were after drying.

• GroBuddy
          GroBuddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey if you're happy I'm happy, I've never pulled less than 4oz from a auto. Just trying to help you get more than you're getting doing the same amount of work. I look at it as if I can do the exact same thing I'm doing but will double my yield that's a no brainer for me that's weed I'm missing and its free just by adjusting one to two things. Cant ever stop learning and progressing. Cannabis cultivation, equipment, and education change often as the legal use is still relatively new.

Transplanting week 3 day 21 that's the same plant a little over 3wks later.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by GroBuddy; 05-28-2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Ya know jamesphoto the only autos i grew that i thought " next time i'll put these in 5gal " were some auto seeds a fellow grow friend send me that he bred. Man those plants got 5ft outdoors and hard to control indoors. But otherwise i've not found my plants needed any bigger than 3 gal. in the fabric. They self prune the roots, maybe dry alittle quicker but if you stay on top of the growing of them not over love them, give abit less nutes till you see they need it i've felt OK with just 3gal. I've never got over 3oz post harvest dried. Man it doesn't matter to me cause when i run them in my 4x4 i use 3gal or even 2gal plastic and do 9 at a time just for quick bud.

I love my photo plants for the potency and yields.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

STOP FIGHTING YOU TWO. That is not the reason I asked the question.

SoOrbudgal thank you. I only get 1-1.5 oz per plant so I need to adjust my game. But I do see that using the larger container is not giving me any more in my stash bag. Thanks again, I always enjoy reading what you post!
            Canna Coco Or
            Happy Frog soil
            Fox Farms nutrients trio
            Smart pots

Comment

• RetiredGuy
              RetiredGuy commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey man, I apologize. I took time to look back on my journal to make the first post to try to scientifically answer your question. Then someone who thinks he is a Grower God criticizes it. Some people on this forum think too highly of themselves.

If you got fighting instead of trying to help and educate from what I said that's crazy. I was growing cannabis for 2 years before I found grasscity. I thought I knew everything containing to my method of growing. I said i didn't care how much i grew or whatever as long as I had smoke. After awhile you realize or I did why not grow the best and most you can if you can by adjusting current set up minimally continuing to use the same equipment and methods. Or growing the same but increasing yield and quality just buy getting a proper grow light ( example ). Each grower has their own method and that's fine, what works for one doesn't work for the masses due to different environments, methods, and equipment. It took me personally a long time and thousands of dollars before I completely got it that said I still learn and am willing to change to better my grow op. That's why I give my 2 cents like that, people used to piss me off doing the same thing, however them pissing me off also made me think and alot of what they were saying was true and opened my eyes. Apologies you saw me as being aggressive that's not my intention. I dont care about autos either growing 8 to 12 perpetually 40 to 50 ozs every 100-120 days is more than enough for me especially since I also run photos perpetually indoors getting around 2.5lbs a grow in a 4x4 depending on strain veg time and plant count. People pull more than that, just what I pull. Still I want to maximize what I can when I can and will give suggestions when I see they may be needed, to help some else maximize what they can.
            Last edited by GroBuddy; 05-28-2022, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I'll add this as well. As a new grower would one rather have someone telling them how to grow the minimum amount or from the start get information that you can use to maximize your grow. As a beginner most mess up one grow maybe 2 maybe even 3 if starting with autos first, over watering small autos in large pots is a very common mistake by beginners thatll devastate the grow. So one could spend 2, 3 or more grows before they finally get everything down. Then after 200-300 days of growing or more now you can grow but need to maximize what you're doing. Me personally I'd rather have all the information up front so I can begin by trying to maximize instead of wasting a year learning how to grow minimally. Or in my case 3 years before I finally invested in a quality grow light.

Not that you're a beginner, I'll be the first to say it sucks when you're starting out and don't grow enough weed to make it grow to grow. With autos including a small cure not a proper cure you're looking at 4 1/2 months round about. You grow 6 ozs with 2 plants better be a loner smoker. Lol
              Last edited by GroBuddy; 05-28-2022, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I dont grow autos but i heard if you top it wont recupperate until a couple of weeks. So thats a lot of time they could have been growing bigger. IMHO.
                1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
                1 sf2000 @200 watts
                2 philzon @230 watts
                2x4x5 tent
                3x6x8 closet
                Fox Farm ocean forest
                Black gold for seedling
                3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
                RH 40-60
                Temp 70-80
                Feeding with FF trio with molasses
                calmag and a little flower fuel
                Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

• jamesphoto
                  jamesphoto commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. My tent is only a 4' high tent so that is why I grow autos and why I have to top. But it's summer here in Michigan and I have more going outside. I think I'll put one in a 3 gal & one in a 5 gal (same strain) and see how they grow. Will not top them, just LST. Perform my own science experiment I guess...

Couple of my topped autos and a fuck up. These are due to harvest July 13th probably will go a touch longer. Week 6.5 to 7. Just have to get them by day 21 and transplant. The one I topped everything I could I did wait until a day or 2 after transplant and said f it, I've never topped autos normally I just let them grow outside as they please
                Attached Files
                Last edited by GroBuddy; 05-29-2022, 10:17 AM.

Comment

My experience is that bigger pots are easier to care for and some but not all strains will get bigger with the added legroom. I've grown in 1 to 10 gallon pots and prefer the ten. Sativa leaning strains will get bigger but indicas don't after 5 gallons. But if you grow organic it's much easier to maintain a healthy plant than to chace deficiencies. Many breeders have bred autos to stay small like Mephisto strawberry nuggets and sour stomper. A little lst is all they require and stay under 3'.
                  keeping it green with the soil thing
                  love me some frosty autos
                  braap
                  BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
                  Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
                  the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
                  blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

Thank you Hippie (your sign is awesome!). Yes - all my grows (all autos) stay quite small. I have only a 4' tall tent so anything grown in that MUST stay small. But outside they can get as tall as they want. I see from most of the info given here I really must stop topping them. I hope to yeild more of I do. Thanks for your reply!
                    Canna Coco Or
                    Happy Frog soil
                    Fox Farms nutrients trio
                    Smart pots

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X