Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about bud rot/mold

deleted-deleted
    Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2023, 03:20 AM.

You're right about smoking moldy weed, ugh. I have had bud rot on an outdoor plant. The mold was pronounced and easy to see. I've also had bud from the same strain same grow but different plants have very different flavor and smell profiles. Others with more experience will weigh in but I'd give it a bit more time, continue the cure and see if anything changes. You can always throw it out.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Newbie here trying to learn. Where is the mold in those pics?
      5x7 closet with reflective mylar on the walls
      2 UF-4000 LEDs (set to 25K Lumens at the plant)
      150 CFM bathroom vent installed in ceiling exhausting through a roof vent
      Elitech STC-1000Wifi Temp&Humidity Controller
      1X Sundae Driver in 35g grow bag
      2X Orange Velvet in 35g grow bags

Comment

• Ckbrew
        Ckbrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Good question. At least from my seat, the resolution of the pix is not high enough to determine this. You would be looking for white powder or fuzz, brown if real bad. It would also smell, well, moldy.

• MagicMike66
        MagicMike66 commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s the white fuzz or fluff that you can see on them. If you ever see this, it’s already too late and time to salvage what you can.

Guest , can you describe the smell that concerns you? I can not see enough resolution in the pix to be able to determine if signs of mold are are present or not. Can you highlight your area of concern in the pix? Then again if it smells just plain rank, follow your instincts. Still waiting for smellavision.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

deleted-deleted
        Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2023, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• click
          click commented
          Editing a comment
          I see the same thing as the white ridge line circled in the second pic on some top-shelf bud (Sundae Driver) I got from the local dispensary. Seems to be part of the plant. If it is mold, it is good mold because it smokes nice.

The pix of the bud on the knife, looks like an out of focus bluish haze or mist. If up close and personal it looks like whitish fuzz then yeah probably mold. The musty, damp basement, (like dirt?) smell is the confirmation. I would err on the side of caution. I assume your jars are sealed? If so, no need to circulate air around the outside of the jars except if it is necessary to control temperature. If no symptoms in the other jars, then they should be good to go. Unless you open the jars next to each other or mix the content, it is unlikely they will cross contaminate.

Something to remember, we all live in a sea of bacteria, fungi, and viruses. It is endemic to our environment, meaning it is everywhere. It is only when favorable environmental conditions occur that one of the 3 will get a foot hold and start to grow out of control. The way to prevent mold growth is to deny favorable conditions. There was most likely excess moisture somewhere along the line. It can start when the plant is living, or after harvest. Unless the buds were mixed together, or exposed to the same processing equipment the other jars should be good, just watch them. The jars are in the house in the living area? What temperature. I keep mine in a cooler area of the house in the 40-50* F range.

Perhaps this is a good argument in favor of bud washing using at least one bath of water and peroxide.
        Last edited by Ckbrew; 01-20-2022, 12:35 PM.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Ckbrew
          Ckbrew commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, bud washing is done right after harvest just before drying. If you are positive there is mold in the one jar then trash it. The rest, take a monitor closely approach.

The mold smell is a quite distinct odor. I think you would recognize it. Personally I would incinerate it. (one joint at a time)
        Focus and relativity.

Comment

• Eliot Pryor
          Eliot Pryor commented
          Editing a comment
          The up front expense is kind of steep but after 8 years of growing I figure amortization has got my cost way down. I keep growing various strains and I've grown more than a dozen including Northern Lights. I like the change but I have to keep a bit of Purple Punch by Barney's Farms growing. It ain't slow nor sneaky, it will give you a pause. Have a great grow !!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X