Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about simulated sunrise and sunset for indoor growing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about simulated sunrise and sunset for indoor growing?

deleted-deleted
    Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2023, 12:45 AM.

Hi madman...I am also curious about sunrise/sunset for indoor plants. I read a short piece (and now can't find) that 'plants' in general do not need a protracted sunrise in order to wake up and be ready for photosynthesis. One of my lights has the Casambi light control system with a sunrise/sunset feature. It lasts just a few seconds both ways. Is it necessary? Idk because I have a tent with an LED light without that feature and the plants growing underneath it don't seem to mind.
    Last edited by golfnrl; 01-16-2022, 07:59 AM.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Hey there, Guest ,seems to me that unless you are able to shed upwards of 3000 ppfd, gradual increase or reduction would only serve to reduce the DLI or daily light integral. To borrow from the knowledgable and experienced SoOrbudgal, strong light = strong buds.
      New indoors grower.
      super soil, Pmoss, perlite mix
      2-100w dimmable quantum led panels
      2’x3’ grow space lined with auto windshield reflectors.
      4” carbon filter + other exhaust fans + one 6” fan on the plants.
      Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

Really " longer and fatter than my underarms" wow perhaps you could post a pic of those mammoth colas next time from your grow we like bud pics of a successful grow.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• golfnrl
          golfnrl commented
          Editing a comment
          I know, right?

Well now SoOrbudgal, hold on I just wonder about pics of those underarms! At my age my underarms are sagging so I’m trying to get the picture. I’ve been told that I have arms like PopEye, so I’m just hoping for some buds the size of my for-arms. We do enjoy some good bud picsthough! But Guest, excellent info. You’ve posted. Just wondering why you would want to effectively reduce the amount of light after an overwhelming success? What I mean to say is unless you can generate the light energy equivalent to the sun for your plants, I have to doubt that fading in and out would improve things for you. I do believe that Dr. Bugbee addressed this issue in one of his YouTube lectures.
        New indoors grower.
        super soil, Pmoss, perlite mix
        2-100w dimmable quantum led panels
        2’x3’ grow space lined with auto windshield reflectors.
        4” carbon filter + other exhaust fans + one 6” fan on the plants.
        Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

Guest Nice pics, Nice plants, You seem to be getting the hang of this growing stuff. Beware the madwoman.

Comment

As was posted above, I believe it has been proven that photosynthesis is highest with maximum light. I agree, if I’m not mistaken, it was Dr Bruce Bugbee or Dr Coco who quoted the research. It would follow that a slow rise and fall of light levels would only lessen the overall amount of light. If your pushing the DLI limit this might be helpful but otherwise would just be less light.
            That said, I think the best reason to run sunrise/sunset is to smooth out the spikes on your temp and humidity which usually occur when lights come on and off. That sure happens in my tent. These are not happy times for your plants, they’re not fond of that shock. Just like when you open the front door to leave in the winter and get hit with that blast of -20c cold .
            As soon as I can save for a better light controller with that feature I will be trying it out.

here’s some pics of my under arms 😝

Comment

Light movers and sunset/sunrise options = crock of shit marketing spin to part you with your hard earned.
              Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
              Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
              Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
              Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 2 x Autos Greenhouse Seeds Amsterdam Sweet Mango, 2 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel. All feminised.
              Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
              Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

Bluey is on to something. I ended up not using the system I mentioned above. My understanding is plants don't need a wakeup to photosynthesize.
                Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
                Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
                Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Correct in my view both @gofnrl and Bluey

Too much work for too little results.
                Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
                5 gallon cloth pots
                30"x30"x60" tent
                Spider Farmer SE3000
                Coco Pearlite mix
                GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I agree OldManGrower.
                  There is some interesting info regarding IR supplementing. I have read a 10-minute on IR mode, then a 10 min off IR, then 10 more minutes after lights off can influence flowering. Something about putting plant to sleep mode quicker.
                  Perhaps due to the red-to-far-red ratio factors.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X