Cooling a room best options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling a room best options?

Hello all, I realized last summer the only thing I cannot control in the grow is the Sumner time temps. So what are my options. I have a 12x7 room no windows plenty of power. I can't seem to find any options that don't require some outside air. Does anyone have any ideas or options for this? I've got about 600 watts of HLG.

Is the room on an outside wall, can you cut a hole in the wall for AC? If no, then how about a split phase heat pump?
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ckbrew View Post
      Is the room on an outside wall, can you cut a hole in the wall for AC? If no, then how about a split phase heat pump?
      Exactly. Taking a hole saw and cutting a hole (in an inside wall), then installing ducting and an inline fan to pull cool air into the grow tent is a solution I came up with to solve my problem here in the south. Unfortunately, my wife wasn't very understanding towards that solution.
      Last edited by UberMensch; 01-08-2022, 10:04 AM.
      Grow Tent: 3' x 3' x 72", 4' x 4' x 80"
      Grow Lights: 2 x Vivosun VS1000, Vivosun VS2000, HLG 600
      Grow Medium (Bubba Kush): Coco/Perlite Hydroponics Flora Trio
      Grow Medium (White Widow): Coco/Perlite,General Hydroponics Flora Trio

Comment

Yes I could cut a hole for ducting. I was trying to avoid that. I already have an in line exhaust fan. I need something to cool the air. I was thinking there might be an option like a free standing unit without hoses. But I lhavent found anything.

Comment

You can set a mini split hvac system, just have to get the line set and power through the wall then you can heat, cool, and cut humidity some too. The indoor “head” unit doesn’t require outdoor air we use them a lot in communication closets in health care facilities to cool the overstuffed servers. Costs up front but should give you 20 years of service if maintained. Big box hardware sells a almost complete DIY system. They also sell portable free standing units look for “portable air conditioners” on the search engine but it does have a exhaust hose that needs to be vented outside the room…possibly through your existing exhaust…could possibly use portable AC for exhaust.
          Last edited by Jebidiah; 01-08-2022, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes this is what I meant suggesting a split phase heat pump. The cooling/heating unit goes on the wall in the room you want to control. You would only have to make holes for the refrigerant lines an a condensate drain. The refrigerant lines would have to connect to the second half of the unit outside that has the compressor and dissipates the heat.

• Smokesteve
            Smokesteve commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes the mini split is in the 8-900 range. So I guess 350 for a free standing unit with hose is the other option.

• DaGreenBlazer
            DaGreenBlazer commented
            Editing a comment
            Just to add onto this good advice, if you do go looking for a mini or portable unit, depending on where you live, I'd recommend have a browse of local free ads/classifieds as by me there's quite often small businesses like shops & offices closing down or renovating that just do a free/cheap clear out all store furniture and I've previously seen a fair few also give away various portable AC & hvac units that they used inside the business. If you can collect then you can get lots free stuff through classified ads.

On the flip side too, as long as you're not too concerned about discretion, I'd also recommend to post your own 'Wanted' ad on free ads sites asking for what you want & offering to collect, as you'd be surprised what people have hanging round in their houses that suddenly contact you! Certainly there's not always a solid guarantee on quality or cleanliness, etc, but since RRP for new units can be pricey, I thought this might be useful avenue if you looking to try & keep costs down.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X