Purple Bubba & the Old Riders of the Purple Sage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purple Bubba & the Old Riders of the Purple Sage

As the Hazy Southwestern Sun drew out the shadows like spilled ink sliding down a blank page a purple plan was hatched. And now? Purple Plants are about to hatch as well!

TOKABIGONE & I have come to the conclusion that a fun run would be an excellent way to kick off the year. He will be growing Purple Bubba in his custom made all in one super-soil
    I will be growing one Purple Bubba and one Purple Platinum Kush in DWC-Hydro tubs.

I don't think either of us plans on making this a detailed grow journal - just a good time in comparative growing styles.

If you're a bit of twisted sister, a ganja babe, a bud boy, or 'soft in the middle, why am I soft in the middle? when the rest of my life is so hard?'*, or would just like to hang out and smoke a bowl, chat and shoot the breeze; please feel free to stop by, give us a wave and a smile and a piece of your mind. We'll be here for the next 4 months (sometimes sporadically - but we'll be here none the less).

*Call me Al / Paul Simon
    Last edited by BU2B; 01-05-2022, 03:28 AM.

Yes I'm here and ready! BU2B calls it a fun run but I'm more competitive so I prefer to call it a Soil vs Hydro challenge! I will be in Living Soil which I prefer to call it as most super soils are hot. I think it will prove to be entertaining if nothing else. Post harvest smoke tests will determine the results as determined by a judging panel comprised of two persons. We are both sure it will be fair and unbiased as the judges will be BU2B and myself. Can't get more fair than that! Seriously this will be my first full photo grow with my version of Subcool and Clackamas Coots 2 diff living soil recipes which have both proven very successful. Seeds in water this morning so we're off!
    Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 01-02-2022, 06:50 PM.
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• DaGreenBlazer
      DaGreenBlazer commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm putting my money on the SuperSoil Grow!! @TOKABIGONE

Although apparently, after that big Hong Kong syndicate splashed millions on backing BU2B, the betting markets have been in a frenzy!! Should be a good race!

• BU2B
      BU2B commented
      Editing a comment
      DaGreenBlazer I know it’s only been two months and I just read your comment - what I want to know is who let the cat out of the bag! 🤣 on a separate note love the Moniker golf related or not I do like the sound of DaGreenBlazer - To The Rescue (eventually) 🤜🏼🤛🏼
      Last edited by BU2B; 03-17-2022, 01:31 PM.

The Name Game -
    Seeds started at 12:30am Jan 2, 2022
    Here they are 30 hours after starting germination:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E3BB2D5E-DA42-4A70-BCCF-8E68A34657CA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	551870
    I’ve decided to name my two girls this time - in keeping with the festive air they’re being named in honor of two deceased Aunts on my Moms side. These two girls will be named Susie and Hazel. Who is who is yet to be determined. Susie was always very sweet, Hazel on the other hand - not so much. I’m pretty sure if you looked up Witch Hazel - her photo would be the illustration. So it’s Sweet Sue or Hazel that I am hoping to mold into more of a Sister Hazel; All For You attitude.

Even though the babies will make it to their net-pots today it is yet to be discovered who is who; Hazel or Sue.

tbh in Hazel's defense - she was strong!
    Last edited by BU2B; 01-05-2022, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I knew you'd have to grow something soon. Also, I had an Aunt Batty (Betty), I'd bet she was worse than Hazel.

• golfnrl
      golfnrl commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it...it'll be fun watching which one becomes Sue (my mom's name) or Hazel. Ands I like that you are naming the girls. I usually name my plants (cause I talk to them), but not this time. I have no idea why.

• BU2B
      BU2B commented
      Editing a comment
      Puglover1 As I have cousins whose mother is the subject of discussion - I will leave well enough alone on that one. LoL As far as another grow goes... it's almost habit now to have 3 photo grows a year. It took me about 6 years just to get bugs and annoyances worked out before I started figuring there has to be a better way of getting more with less work. I tried scrogging and TBH it's a lot like work if done correctly. I guess I'm basically lazy and wanted the most return for the least effort to get the best buds- over time that developed into the PPP Method which amazing GWE members like grouchyoldman helped me compile and refine. Just realized MMJ has been in effect in my state since 2010 - had a dispensary here so couldn't grow 'legally' for two years but holy wow 3 crops a year for going on10 years! Really? And all legal! Never thought I'd see the day!

26 hours in water with a tap root just peeking out this morning. They should see their temp home in solo cups tomorrow for 2-3 weeks. Forever homes will be 7 gal fabric pots with living soil. My auto run may have spoiled me with grow times but I'm girding myself for a long haul though only an approx 8 week flower time. Watered the pots, after 2 days they were very dry but had only had an initial 1 gal ea. Watered again slowly
    to slight runoff. I love the way this soil feels! No names yet as I have to meet them first, lmao!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220103_110224.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	551915Click image for larger version

Name:	20220103_110240.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	551916

Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

If the competition requires an independent judge to determine, taste, quality, potency, color, aroma, etc. I'm available and happy to help...just sayin'.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
      Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Okay; I’ve got a bad case of the feeling miserables so I decided to take my mind off of things for a bit and do a bit of rambling to distract myself.

Some may have noticed that while TOKABIGONE proudly showed off his soil I very reluctantly did not show off the water in my tubs; which if I must say so myself, is in fine form and feeling that extra fine curated wetness that only water can deliver gives me confidence that something that is 70% of everything will win out in the end.

TOKA has done an exceptional job blending and perfecting his soil; something my mid-western farmer grandpa would be proud of. I’ve even mentioned it to him a time or two - but I will tell you a secret; the second time was only to lull him into a false sense of security.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	0D592C80-7ED5-4A7F-BA7E-7E55E47ABF00.gif Views:	2 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	551990
        Last edited by BU2B; 01-03-2022, 10:06 PM.

Comment

I'm just here for the party.
          DIY 4x12 Farmacy box w/2 4x4x6 grow areas
          TrolMaster HydroX runs the whole show
          Dual tank Co2 injection w/ rain tubing
          10000 btu thru the wall A/C / 5000 btu heater
          50 pint dehumidifier/ cool mist humidifier
          8" intake fan w/ hepa filter / 8" exhaust fan
          2 Timber Fatty-vs COB 950 watt draw fixtures
          w/ added 4 2ft T5 Pure UV bulbs on each fix.
          2 DIY Hybrid DWC 5 gal bubble bucket systems w/ 55 gal reservoirs w/ PH dosers
          2 2"x2"cyl.stones in each bucket, 8"disk in reservoirs
          GH Flora series (entire line) + Orca
          Grow 3 = Blueberry 1 dwc 1 soil.
          . Cherry pie 1 dwc 1 soil
          Soil is great lakes "just add water" in 7 gal fabric bags

Comment

Brrrrr.... holy frozen bat turds bat man - it has been cold! Lows from -7c is cold for my part of the state. In the house... much better currently running about 23c. You probably noticed that temps have gone international. Time to move on from imperial to metric; 50 years ago we were supposed to have gone all metric and have rocket packs by now. I'm blaming the U.S. for holding up the rocket pack production by refusing to go metric! I figure if we had rocket packs we still may not talk to our neighbors; but we'd be bumping into them more

The babies are doing fine and progressing just a little slower than usual due to general weather conditions - but like the rest of us; they're hanging in there.

and... pardon my language but to hell with stay frosty! Stay Warm!

Almost 40 years Ago THIS SONG said it all.
            Last edited by BU2B; 01-04-2022, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
              bboyfromwayback commented
              Editing a comment
              Winters are cold 🥶 in my basement. In flower I don’t mind Bc it brings out those pretty colors but I veg under T5’s in the winter for the warmth 😉

Mine seem to be doing the same. They split open at 24 hrs but at 48 they look the same. Last grow 2 of 3 popped but only 2 grew out. I wasted 4 more trying to replace it which left me saying more than a few dirty words! I grew out 2.

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• BU2B
              BU2B commented
              Editing a comment
              This is neither here nor there but something I feel a bit guilty about not mentioning before - in private or otherwise... I've found that tamping off of the tap-root after germination generally means that your starting medium is too wet which will result in the tip of the root rotting.

I'm borrowing this from PLreef as it's just too good not to repeat -
            If you click the image SOJA will appear and perform 'Fall Like Rain' for you - CC for the Lyrics
            Click image for larger version

Name:	HappinessSimpleThings.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	552090

Comment

• BU2B
              BU2B commented
              Editing a comment
              Small update: PPK has popped her head above the jiffy pot and thrown her cap to the wind. PB is above ground and will have done the same by morning. So, for me, my grow officially starts Wednesday 5, January 2022. I'll give TOKABIGONE an additional 10 hours; as he started his seeds about that long after I started mine, before I declare water and the paper-towel & baggie MOON method for germination the winner. or not ...

And… Tah-Dah! I win!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	6B7EE1E9-0289-4B43-B3DC-9F8244F0FA56.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.56 MB ID:	552112
            oh.... wait.... those are my neighbors plants

Comment

• BU2B
              BU2B commented
              Editing a comment
              To celebrate 4 years as a proud member of GWE - a New Avatar Image was posted today.

SMALL Photo update Baby Pictures:
            Here are PPK (left) & PB (right) First Baby Pictures 5, January 2022 6am local time
            Click image for larger version  Name:	PPK_1_5_22.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	552134Click image for larger version  Name:	PB_1_5_22.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	552135
            I've also decided after at least 5 minutes of musing who is who. Sweet Sue not only came through first but due to her tasty grape flavor is now formerly known as Purple Platinum Kush, PPK or Platinum Purple Kush (depending on who you ask). Which means Hazel, THE STRONG ONE is bring up the rear and prior to her christening was the artist formerly known as Purple Bubba. Ironically this is just the opposite of the chronological age of their human counter-parts. hmmm... very interestink

TOKABIGONE the stage is yours my friend
            Last edited by BU2B; 01-05-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              I like your new avatar BU2B he hangs around my kitchen now an then

My babes are in their nursery now so in a day or two I should see their little heads. I'm about a day behind BU2B as I left them in water for 3 days to get a strong tap growing. They all have 1/4 inch showing now. I think the hardest part of sprouting is to get the seed in the hole in the dirt with the root pointed down because I'm afraid I might break it off! One did land root up but I didn't try to fight it. I'm pretty sure it knows which way is down! I'm using an old, never used, food dehydrator to keep the soil at 88*. As soon as they pop up I will put a 100w panel 20" above them on 20/4. I'm trying hard to contain the excitement I always feel at this stage when they finally show themselves! Just a year ago I had just transplanted my first grow! Wow a year and 3 grows under my belt already and it's legal! I honestly never expected that to happen! More fun than trying to hide a grow in the forest 42 years ago! Always lost them to hunters and thieves.

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

You two got this thing going like a horse race. I'm betting on a fun ride.
              Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

This morning I find that one of three has shown her head and interestingly, it's the one that dropped in the hole with tap root sticking up. it's trying to turn down but was pretty close to the surface down 1/8 inch. I covered it with more soil. No sign of the other two as yet but I think they were a little deeper. This grow seems slower than others with 3 days to germinate and 3 days now to sprout. I still have faith in them so it's a waiting game!

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• Ckbrew
                  Ckbrew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Growing cannabis is a waiting game. Is that not redundant? Grow on.

• BU2B
                  BU2B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  WooHoo! Go PB!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X