Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee grounds as a medium. Anyone try it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• click
    commented on 's reply
    Should I? (defoliate) This is only my second grow and I've read that newbies often do more damage than good pruning. My first grow had a lot of small buds. I wouldn't mind trading total yield for larger buds (and less time in trim jail) but am afraid of creating problems.

• SoOrbudgal
    commented on 's reply
    Well done click you solved the issue, those are very nice plants are you going to defoliate? Good looking basil too

• 3Berries
    replied
    Get some Calcium Chloride and make a 1200 ppm solution and add directly to the soil. It will eliminate any Ca problems in 24 hrs. Be careful as it is habit forming....

Leave a comment:

• click
    replied
    I had flushed several times but it still remained yellow. I also tried various nutes (calmag, azomite, epsom salt) and it did not respond to those either. Since that last post, I started feeding every other water with Fox Farms Grow Big and am finally starting to see improvement. Looks much greener now. Don't know what it was missing but FFGB seems to have it. Its the one in the middle along the back wall. I was waiting until I nursed it back to health before starting flower. Maybe soon...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220521_061016.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	565394

Leave a comment:

• UndergroundFarmer
    replied
    Best bet is feed the used coffee grounds to the worms like we do in my house and months later you have some outstanding compost.

Leave a comment:

• SoOrbudgal
    replied
    That sucks guess it's another dang lesson, put some worm castings on it top feed, but I'd flush with Epsom salt first. Nice looking setup click

Leave a comment:

• 3Berries
    replied
    I had heard somewhere that caffeine will stunt the plant growth. I guess that's true.

But some interesting facts.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gar...ant-growth.htm

Will Caffeine Affect Plant Growth?

What purpose does caffeine serve, other than to keep us awake? In coffee plants, the caffeine building enzymes are members of N-methyltransferases, which are found in all plants and build a variety of compounds. In the case of caffeine, the N-methyltranferase gene mutated, creating a biological weapon. For instance, when coffee leaves drop, they contaminate the soil with caffeine, which curtails germination of other plants, lessening competition. Obviously, that means too much caffeine can have a detrimental effect on plant growth. Caffeine, a chemical stimulant, increases the biological processes in not only humans but plants as well. These processes include the ability to photosynthesize and absorb water and nutrients from the soil. It also decreases the pH levels in the soil. This increase in acidity can be toxic to some plants, although others, like blueberries, enjoy it.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Will Caffeine Affect Plant Growth – Tips On Fertilizing Plants With Caffeine

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gar...ant-growth.htm

Leave a comment:

• click
    replied
    One of these things is not like the others; one of these things is kinda the same. Four months later the Orange Velvet that got the coffee grounds is still struggling...

Name:	20220429_063154.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	563888

Leave a comment:

• 3Berries
    replied
    I use coffee grounds on my evergreens. They like acid and nitrogen.

They grow soybeans around me. As it is a legume, it sets little sacks of nitrogen on the roots. This nitrogen makes the soil acidic. So the farmers always use limestone on the fields after soybeans.

Leave a comment:

• click
    replied

Here are the temperature and humidity conditions in the chamber.

Name:	Screenshot_20220111-130952_Elitech iCold.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	552906

Leave a comment:

• click
    commented on 's reply
    I just now flushed it with 2 gal. water (~5X the container volume). Initial runoff pH was 6.35 and it climbed to 6.8 by the end of the flush. Temperature is maintained between 60 and 75 in the box although I do see twice in the last week it spiked to 80 but only briefly. Humidity has varied between 30 and 60% over the same 7 days.

• Rwise
    replied
    Did you add anything for a PH up buffer? Looks to me like the PH is crashing. (and maybe a tad hot)

Leave a comment:

• click
    replied
    Here's a better pic from the top showing the difference in color better. Also some curling on the plant with used coffee grounds added on the right. I think I am about to abort this experiment and try to nurse it to better health.

Name:	20220110_171204-coffee.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	913.0 KB
ID:	552881

Leave a comment:

• click
    replied
    1 week later. Both show similar growth. The +coffee is ~1" shorter but started shorter. The "no coffee" (left) does seem healthier. Greener, perkier.

Name:	20220109_082259.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	552621

Leave a comment:

• click
    replied
    I am not prepared right now to try a more ambitious test using the coffee as the primary media but I did have two OrangeVelvet clones ready to pot so I decided to try a safer test (I don't want to lose either plant). Both pots have a 4:1 mix of Whitney Farms Organic Potting Soil and Pearlite. The plant in the white pot has coffee grounds added (4:1:1 ratio WFO:Pearlite:Coffee). I also mixed in 1 tsp mycorrizal fungi to both. Will post more pics in a week or so. pH of runoff is 5.98 (wo) and 5.90 (w).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220101_085657-coffee_nocoffee.jpg Views:	0 Size:	874.6 KB ID:	551644
    Last edited by click; 01-01-2022, 07:58 PM. Reason: Added the runoff pH measurements.

Leave a comment:

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X