X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I use a Digital PH Meter pen?

How do I use a Digital PH Meter pen?

This is my watering routine:
    3 liter (0.8 gallon) tapwater, from bottles that has been sitting in room temp 22C (71 F) for 3-4 days.
    Goes into a stainless 5 l (1,32 gallon) cooking pot, add nutes, stir well before adding next nutes.
    Then set PH to 6.2-6.5, handwatering with a watering can, fine sprinkler head, gently pour a little to each pot 20 l (5.2 gallon) (4 pots aprox. 3-4 liter/pot (0.8-1 gallon)), one by one and let water soak in, then the same procedure with 3 l (0.8 gallon) and so on until I get a run off of about 2 dl/pot (0.05 gallon).
    Always checking the weight of pots and when lighter I water.

Now the question is, do I have to calibrate the PH pen after each watering 3 l (0.8 gallon) in cooking pot?
    Read that you have to do that but it sounds really awkward.
    Would be great if I can calibrate the pen only once for each watering schedule.
    Then calibrate for next watering.
    Any info on this will be much appreciated.

Stay safe and healty, best regards,
    madman
    Last edited by madman; 11-20-2021, 07:52 AM.

I’ve never once calibrated a PH pen..

Comment

• madman
      madman commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't use a PH pen? Now I use 2 drops of PH measuring in a test tube and look at the color, trying to find a light-yellow-green-blueish color.

• MagicMike66
      MagicMike66 commented
      Editing a comment
      I always use the pen I’ve just never calibrated any of them

I calibrate my ph pen every other week. Any longer and I could run into problems that in my eyes are not worth having. Too easy of a solution. Some people have great water out of their taps and never need to deal with or check ph. Folks running living soil don't either.
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• Darkart1
      Darkart1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use rain water, (4-55gal. rain barrels) and have never had to check ph but never had a problem yet.

I calibrate my PH meter monthly per its instructions, its never been more than .1 off at either end of the scale.

Comment

My water source is stable and I keep accurate records so I don't need it often. When I do use it I calibrate it BEFORE using, it will drift during storage. Keep a jar of calibration solution on hand, no need to mix up a fresh batch each time. Rinse it well after use, distilled water preferred but not mandatory unless you have very hard water.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• madman
        madman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Soft tapwater 8.3 PH. I'll get some destilled water. I keep a daily diary of my projects.

Make sure you rinse it, then shake off any rinse and use a 7.0 standard to store the meter in. Then as long as it reads 7.0 with the standard it's good to go usually.

Comment

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nebula suggests drying it with a very soft cloth after rinsing to wipe off any nute residue.

• madman
        madman commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds adequate.

Thanks all for the info! Much appreciated.
      Do I need both a PH 7.0 and a PH 4.0 calibration liquid?
      Not advertising but is this a good pen *HM Digital PH-200 Waterproof Temperature PH Meter*?

Comment

• Ckbrew
        Ckbrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Use what is recommended for your unit. Different pens use different solutions. There is usually one near neutral, one acidic, one basic. Usually u only need the high & low solutions if you want a more accurate reading to 2 decimal points. I have found that using the one near neutral has been adequate for my pen, its just a chepo.

• madman
        madman commented
        Editing a comment
        Good info thanks!

My unit requires both 4.0 and 7.0 or 7.0 and 14.0 (IIRC since I dont use that one), and another fluid to store the prob in.
      IDK anything about the pen you have.

Comment

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        If I (was growing) mix up a couple gallons of pH'd water ahead of time does the pH remain stable? Thinking ahead, trying to avoid another disaster. All I needed was some water ready and I'd be checking trichs soon. My friend used an old bottle of Spring water, no idea of its status, and she didn't use enough. I had 2 gallons of dechlorinated water on the kitchen counter, it would've been better at the tap's pH than what happened.

• madman
        madman commented
        Editing a comment
        My pen needs 4.0 and 7.0, rinse in destilled water, purity 0 microSiemens (uS) and fluid to store in.

Big thing with the pens is the bulb sooner or later needs changed or you need a new pen. Mine can do a three point calibration if you have the standards. it comes with 4.0 and 7.0.

Apera Instruments AI209 PH20 is what I have and it is not replaceable.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X