Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Coco Loco

Has anyone ever used or uses coco loco?

I've used the Fox Farm Coco+Perlite but not Fox Farm Coco Loco. I don't know the difference between the two. Coco+Perlite is a waste of money but I still buy it because I'm lazy and often do not want to have a bag of coco coir and a bag of perlite to make my own. I am really lazy, it is a bad habit.

Comment

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      hey I am only 48 and still have lots to learn

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      When I was young I thought I knew it all, like my son thinks.

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know it all, I learned the hard way on that, two divorces and a lot of bad mistakes might give me experience, just not omnipotence

I've used coco for 3 years now and I love it!

Comment

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah I was hooked to, lost my teeth to it and a marriage

• DeadlyFruit
      DeadlyFruit commented
      Editing a comment
      I spent 7 months on Percs before spinal surgery and then 7 years afterwards on tramadol. I have been fully off the tramadol for just two days. Not very pleasant feeling but way better than when I went off the percs cold turkey. That still gives me nightmares. I feel for you guys.

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks DeadlyFruit , why I smoke weed only now, I don't do tobacco or alcohol, or anything else

Thank you peter matanzas. Glad to be here. Little confusing.

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      You will get a ton of good grow information here. Probably not from me I'm just a newbee , just be kind and respectful and people will treat you the same

I've never use coco loco but i mix my own soil using coco coir with it.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      so when you mix it does it act like soil or coco, do you add nutes every watering? how often do you water? sorry for all the questions just never used it before and really want to try it

Hey Ace1973 I'm using Coco Loco and treating it like soil It already has a lot of worm castings and other amendments in it so it imitates natural soil quite well. I am growing organically with it using teas and top dressing, no liquid nute. The castings give it a good texture as it is very friable. It also has better water retention than plain coco. The first time I watered w/o plants in 5 gal bags was to runoff to test pH. It took 8 days before it was dry enough to need more for a plant and I had not really saturated it.
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
      DeadlyFruit commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven’t used coco loco but I currently have plants that I started indoors in 8 gallon pots of coco and then transplanted outside into 30 gallon pots with the rest of the volume made up of soil so I have a hybrid medium as a result (with lots of perlite mixed in). When in coco they got liquid nutes as usual. Once outside I let them use up what was in the soil and then once they started to look like they had reached the end of it I switched to liquid nutes again but not as often as indoors with only coco. I also didn’t have to water quite as much, in part because of the soil component but also because the pots are so big.

I used CocoLoco until my recent grow which is just coco coir. It’s good stuff, very similar to soil only less gnats and plants grow faster. When I first started using it I added extra perlite then I stopped adding anything extra with no change in results.

Comment

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      will watering be more frequent?

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      With CocoLoco no, it’s just like soil, only better IMO

Thanks guys, in a couple of grows I may try coco loco fist, before going to pure coco w/ perlite. I will probably have more questions then.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      I only switched to straight Coco because I’m using AutoPots. I have a couple plants that aren’t in the AutoPots but I put them in the coco coir as well and I’ve been hand watering them. From what I can tell with pure coco so far, unless you’re going to some type of automatic watering system, stick to soil or cocoloco for hand watering. Unless daily watering is your thing, then you’d probably like coco. No buffer either so deficiencies are more prevalent

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I am going to try the coco loco first, I really want to know what I am getting myself into before I start, I will need a ph pen probably as I do not use one with soil grows,( the ffof and ffhp both have ingredients that regulate ph). I have seen some coco grows on here that make me drool and want to try it out.

Ace1973 I use it like soil i just mix in a generous amount in the soil totes i use. I will ad 1/2 cubic yard bail mix it with a bag of perilite then use my old potting soils or new soils with out any ferts in it. Then i'll mix in 2-3lbs of worm casings and garden compost that's been very well broken down. I also love to top dress mid grow with some wormcasings a handfull or so in a 5gal fabric pot i use for photos. Yes i do feed bloom nutes few weeks into flower and unsulferated molasses later in the flowering. I'm sure i left out some stuff but i just got through trimming 2hrs on 1/2 a plant from outside and i'm blurry vision

indoor/outdoor grower
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just saved this to my grow list, so I can remember. So lucky on your harvest, from what I seen you should have a considerable yield, *sigh* I still have at least two weeks on mine.

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      would you say I could use dry nutes? Like fox farms happy frog 5-5-5?

I've not used the dry but you could with older plants, i use just plain soils for seedlings. I think it may be OK for 6wk old transplants but i've not used hot soils for seedlings.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a whole bag of it and need to get rid of it, so instead of wasting it, I thought this would be the best way, (I veg under a 100 watt t5) until 8 weeks, I transplant into a larger pot.

You could mix more plain potting mix old mix with it just so roots don't go into lockout i'm just cautious with fert soils. Lots of perilite though like 70% soil 30% perilite even though it's got some in the coco loco, mix more. Keep it light an fluffy to get them roots established.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      better breathing for the roots, you still have to water more often right?

Well i still lift the pot to feel the weight in order to water. I normally can go 4 days between watering indoors more frequent with smaller pots, yes it drains well.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      I lift my pots to check on them, I try to water every five days, if they are still heavy I wait a day, does coco work well in plastic pots?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X