Water for seed germinating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water for seed germinating

Does anyone do anything to their water when floating or paper toweling seeds? Maybe changing the water? I was thinking about doing something with H2O2.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

add sugar to the water, it will make them sprout faster

Comment

I use Brita, filtered water and on top of the fridge always works for me. 2 days...

Comment

I drink Aquafina bottled water and use it with my paper towel method. I don't even bother soaking the seeds anymore. I prefer keeping things as simple as possible.

Comment

Started soaking in water, yesterday. They cracked. But it just isn't my way. Although I know it works, they had to go to paper towel.
        I'm down to four of 12 sees I tried in water. 8 cracked. 2 of those grew taps. My success just isn't there.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

I have never soaked seeds and have not had luck with paper towels. I just drop seeds in soil and usually See them pop in 3 or 4 days. I switch between My tap water and bottled water when watering.

Comment

• PLreef
            PLreef commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm with TenTon. All I've ever done is toss the bean in its final pot. I rarely lose a bean. Don't get me wrong could be pure dumb luck.

That really is the way to go TenTonBrick . Natural. One step. All I ever did with seeds was shove them in my garden dirt. Never had an issue. Even let fruit and veggies and beans and stuff fall to the ground to seed for the next year. Now, I have options.
          I'm clumsy. I am guaranteed to knock over several of my Solo cups, several times when in that stage because I move them from my tent to outside when there's sun. Pre-rooting saves me at least those few days of nervousness.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

I use 2ml of h202 in an oz of filtered water to germ then into soil after they sprout. I've started seeds this way a long time. Never a paper towel. I was running about 90% success rate til this time. 2 did nothing and 2 germed and then damped off. One more try with 2, one direct to dirt other in water/peroxide then dirt after 72 hours. Still waiting....
            Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
            Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
            Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
            Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
            Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
            i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
            My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
            make pH correction unnecessary
            Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
            8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
            Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
            Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
              TOKABIGONE commented
              Editing a comment
              Just spitballing here but maybe it has something to do with the extra oxy it puts in the water...idk.

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              Damnit TOKABIGONE ! I had been doing the same with H2O2. Whenever I brought it up, people didn't think much of the idea. Like you, always with great success.

I have heard of using peroxide on seeds when germinating ...saw it in a YouTube Video a few years ago. I think the guy used a spray bottle and just misted the paper towel the seeds were in. I wish I would've saved that one

Comment

Howdy Gingerbeard, I have been having good results by adjusting the pH of the germination water to 5.0. I then place a folded paper towel into an aluminum pan, add the pH ed water to completely soak the towel, but not so full as to submerge the seeds. I cover the aluminum pan with clear plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Keep them in a warm place for a couple of days until the magic starts!
              Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Catfish22
                Catfish22 commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow that's crazy but whatever works for you! 🙂

• DW2
                DW2 commented
                Editing a comment
                ,@Catfish22, So far, so good. I started the seeds this way, instead of placing the seeds directly into the rock wool cubes, not knowing whether they sprouted or not, I can see which are viable and then carefully place them into the cubes. I've been doing it this way for the last nine grows now. The pH of 5.0 was recommended by a dealer (of hydro supplies) whom I bought my first Bubble Phonics system from.

I use spring water. Soak them for 18hrs then I drop them in paper towels with the same water. Oh yeah I keep them in a dark warm room. Usually it take a few days before I see their little white tail.
              Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
              Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
              Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
              Full auto grow
              Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
              12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• Gingerbeard
                Gingerbeard commented
                Editing a comment
                Sigh......

• Farmbuck
                Farmbuck commented
                Editing a comment
                What ? Look is not as rosy dosy here also, We got our share of shits here also. I don't see the ocean... I don't have warm weather all year long but it's home. Cold as hell but it's home !! Freezing my ass but it's home. Bury in freaking snow 6 months of the year but it's home.
                Last edited by Farmbuck; 10-01-2021, 05:35 PM.

• Gingerbeard
                Gingerbeard commented
                Editing a comment
                Know what my ocean is? Water with a sand beach. That's all it ever is. It doesn't change in the seasons, except for surfing conditions. Palm trees don't change color in the fall. They drop widow makers at random. Although I don't spend six months in it, I like snow.
                We're going to have to switch houses come some winter Mr. Buck. You'll have to skip the Yucatan but you'll still have your beach and palm trees.

Tonight's winning chicken dinner will be shared by all and I'm springing for waffles because I have the munchies for waffles and I don't eat chicken. What with being Satan's house pets, and all. I'm dong some of most of a few of the many mentioned methods that were mentioned previously.
              In water for a day. Towel for cracking. Removed the top towel and recovered with H2O2 laced water.
              7 of 8 seeds have 1cm ish long taps. One Black Domina hadn't cracked until I took my thumbnails to it. Got a reasonable crack down the edge. Doesn't look smooshed.
              It looks like those 7 will be going to coco, tomorrow, and I'll be starting nutes. Might be starting my personal coco grow thread.
              We'll see what happens to the one I thumbs nailed.
              More elephant!

Coco/perlite
              3x3x6

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X