Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

big spider mites issue - mineral oil during flower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LosSerpent
    replied
    Originally posted by Rwise View Post
    I would not use any of that stuff on my flowers.
    rather smoke spider mites?

Leave a comment:

• Rwise
    replied
    I would not use any of that stuff on my flowers.

Leave a comment:

• DeadlyFruit
    replied
    Pyrethrum may be natural and it says it is useful on mites but it is also toxic to some things you probably don’t want to kill - mainly honeybees but it can also be toxic to mammals at higher doses. It is supposed to be pretty effective and it is less toxic than many other insecticides so I’m not saying don’t ever use it but just be cautious. If you decide to use it is suggested you use liquids over powders, spray just after dark and avoid letting it get on the flowers of flowering plants. Bees bed down for the night so they will get a lessened exposure that way. I like my insecticidal soap (a 3 in 1 with soaps and sulphur for bugs and mold) for most things but it is not as good for established mite problems. Neem is technically all natural depending on the formulation and I think it is useful for mites although as with most of this stuff you want to be careful using it once you get into the bloom cycle.

To your original question about using these things in bloom - if you are going to I would suggest something that isn’t oil based, something that will break down over time and has the least toxicity to humans. You said you wash your buds, which is good and should take away most residues but I question whether something oil based will break down into something inert (or at all) and whether you can wash easily wash it off in a standard bud wash situation.

If you try any interesting new insecticides let us know how they did.

Leave a comment:

• LosSerpent
    replied
    i found a bio pesticide made from thyme and one made from Pyrethrum

also found one made from Common Nettle... also stumbled up-on a bunch of other made from similar natural plant extracts, which one is gonna be most effective for mites?

also later in the year i'm gonna have a caterpillar as usual during the fall. so keep that in mind

Leave a comment:

• Cali
    replied
    I watch a grower on YouTube and when he gets infested with spider mites he feeds his plant sulfur I believe? Look it up he claims that the bugs don’t like the taste and leave the plants alone after they chew on them and get the taste. I have never tried it and I wouldn’t spray anything on buds specially oils. Like others have said do some research on beneficial bugs like what else’s they will feed on after the pest are gone. Put a nectar feed around your plants it will attract beneficials and keep them around.

Leave a comment:

• Ckbrew
    replied
    Lemon n baking soda- remove general dirt, insects, insect residue, foreign plant matter, mineral salts, residue from anything applied to the plant. peroxide- sanitizer. rinse- well rinse. There is no magic right or wrong here. You do the growing, you decide what is best for you.

Leave a comment:

• LosSerpent
    replied
    Originally posted by Ckbrew View Post
    For washing you mean correct? In each tub, 3 gallon h2o. in #1 juice of 1 lemon and about 1/2 cup baking soda. for #2, Peroxide about 300ml. #3 is plain water.
    i've seen guides online recommending baking soda alone, and then in the other bucket preoxide+lemon, what's the difference?

Leave a comment:

• Ckbrew
    replied
    For washing you mean correct? In each tub, 3 gallon h2o. in #1 juice of 1 lemon and about 1/2 cup baking soda. for #2, Peroxide about 300ml. #3 is plain water.

Leave a comment:

• LosSerpent
    replied
    Ckbrew what's the highest baking soda to lemon to hy drogen peroxide ratio i can apply without fucking up the buds?

Leave a comment:

• Ckbrew
    commented on 's reply
    The peroxide is a sanitizer. Just an extra cleaning.

• LosSerpent
    replied
    Originally posted by Ckbrew View Post
    Basic wash is 3 tubs. 1- water, lemon juice, baking soda. 2- water, hydrogen peroxide. 3- plain water. Temp should be tepid cool. To cold may knock off trichomes, to hot loose terpines. Gently agitate buds in solution for about 5-10 minutes each. Try not to bang the sides. After the last rinse hang them up with something to catch the water. This may sound radical but it works and will not harm your plants. You will be amazed at the gunk that comes off them in the first wash. Imo mandatory for any outdoor plant.
    as far as i'm awere hydrogen peroxide is only meant to be used when you're dealing with powdery mildew

what you're describing is how i washed my buds everytime, expect the hydrogen peroxide, i agree washing buds it 100% worth it, it's a no brainer imo there is no downside

Leave a comment:

• Ckbrew
    replied
    Basic wash is 3 tubs. 1- water, lemon juice, baking soda. 2- water, hydrogen peroxide. 3- plain water. Temp should be tepid cool. To cold may knock off trichomes, to hot loose terpines. Gently agitate buds in solution for about 5-10 minutes each. Try not to bang the sides. After the last rinse hang them up with something to catch the water. This may sound radical but it works and will not harm your plants. You will be amazed at the gunk that comes off them in the first wash. Imo mandatory for any outdoor plant.

Leave a comment:

• LosSerpent
    replied
    DeadlyFruit

baking soda is a degreaser, so is lemon juice to some extend, wouldn't wash them in a baking soda and lemon solution before drying wash the oil away? not sure how good baking soda is a degreasing when diluted with water, maybe someone can weigh in

Leave a comment:

• Rwise
    replied
    Also look into building those ladybug a home they can winter in, the object is to get them into your environment so you dont have to fight any more. I now have 20 acres covered with them, there everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    Great tip! Thanks Ckbrew

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X