Please help a newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help a newbie!

New member here and thanks in advance. I’m certain I made lots of mistakes, but seeking some help on how to proceed and up my growing game for the future.

So, germinated one (!) seed that I saved from a weed purchase back in May (I think). I started it in one of those little kitchen counter vegetable growing stations. It germinated and the little sucker seemed to be doing well. Transplanted it to a small pot and kept it alongside my wife’s flower seedlings under a grow light observing the typical recommend light/dark schedule. All well so far and it was growing. In June I transplanted it outside in my wife’s raised bed garden. It turned for the worse and I thought I had lost it as it appeared it was dying. However, it recovered and it has continued to grow. It is now about four feet tall and has been looking great and healthy for the last 2-3 months.

Based on what I’ve read, it seems to this very inexperienced grower that the plant took an exceptionally long time to reveal whether it is male or female. Finally! About one week ago (late August) I saw definite signs of flowering and it seems to be getting much more aromatic. There are multiple little fuzzy buds showing. My question concerns what to do as colder weather comes up here in upstate NY. We get overnight temps in the low 50’s and an occasional high 40’s. Do I keep it outside or take it inside in a pot were I can regulate the temperature and us a grow light? Will it continue to flower through the Fall? Outside? Indoors? When can I expect to be able to harvest?

I welcome any tips and suggestions for future grows and certainly criticisms of what I’ve done wrong so far.

Thank you!

I don't grow outside but a lot of folks do. Someone will be along with the answers. Give this a read, it may help.

Are you ready to start growing cannabis outdoors? If you're a new grower looking for a quick and basic tutorial on how to grow weed outside, this is it!
    2X4X6 Quictent
    1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
    600w LED (80)
    1000w LED (180)
    2 X Viparspectra P-1000
    2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
    6" battery/usb fans
    Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
    GH trio with Calimagic
    Lung room humidifier
    3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
    ArmorSi, kelp when needed
    Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
    Northern Lights auto
    (Seedsman)
    auto 00 Kush
    (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
    2x Northern lights auto
    1 auto 00 Kush
    1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
    Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

I bring outdoor plants indoor to finish, sometimes - but you have to be extremely careful or you'll have a grow room full of insects. (I just moved a Whitaker Blues strain from outdoor to indoor.)

f your environment has low humidity and minimal rain I'd keep them outdoors. You wrote "in a pot" which leads me to believe your plant is in ground. Do not dig it up, do not move that one indoor.

Comment

50's is no issue, 20's is, if they get frosted on, one can take a garden hose and wash it off before the sun comes up, else once sunlight has touched them they would be burned.
        Some folks like to get down in the 50's to bring out purples.
        I had some outside a few years ago, I built a cover over them and put heat, lights etc. in it as if it were a tent indoor.

Comment

Without knowing the strain it's hard to forecast when it will mature. I'm guessing upstate new York you have 4 to doc weeks before a freeze. I would be prepared to bring it in if they are calling for temps below 35 to be safe. Some indicas take as little as 45 days to ripen. Some sativa's take over 90 days.
          keeping it green with the soil thing
          love me some frosty autos
          braap
          BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
          Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
          the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
          blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

Thanks for the responses; it is appreciated. Since I usually buy Sativa, this plant is most likely a Sativa. I would say I have about five-weeks before the first overnight freeze. So, since it started flowering about a week and a half ago, it’s probably safe to keep it outdoors? Btw, I’m noticing some yellowing of some of the lower leaves. Nitrogen deficiency?

Comment

• Phlash
              Phlash commented
              Editing a comment
              Pics and specs really help if you are really looking for answers

I wont bring mine indoors until low 40's they could probably take up to freezing temps tho like most weeds and plants. As mentioned that sucker's in the ground it's stuck.
            Last edited by GroBuddy; 09-08-2021, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks again, everyone. One more question please. About the lower third of the plant’s leaves are turning yellow and some of those are developing dark spots. A couple of the lowermost (and smaller) leaves are curling up and drying. Interestingly, this is happening only to leaves where there is no flowering taking place. The rest of the plant looks good. Also interesting is that there are a few small new leaves on the bottom of the plant that look healthy and nice and green that also appear to be starting to flower. I will try and post some pics, but until then any thoughts? Treatments? Should I remove the yellow leaves? Not worry?

Thanks a lot!
              Last edited by lowblow; 09-10-2021, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X