Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3Berries
    commented on 's reply
    I use the Mosquito Bits almost every watering. I will see maybe one or two around once in a while still. Much better than when I was not using it and was just using the sticky sheets.

• MH47
    replied
    Originally posted by OldManGrower View Post
    … the gnats appear if your soil is too damp on the surface. Water completely but less often and that will prevent a reoccurrence.
    Deleted by user
    Last edited by MH47; 01-07-2022, 08:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cali
    replied
    UndergroundFarmer yes Neem seed meal will work. If I see an issue I blend it to a powder and just sprinkle on top of my soil. Or I bubble over night or just stir it in water then do a soil drench. I have an exact recipe I will look for it and post it. Oh best thing about Neem it kills all the bad guys but leaves the good guys alone. My rive beetles love it which reminds me instead of spraying you can just add beneficial insects I will post some pics of mine as well. Later.

Leave a comment:

• UndergroundFarmer
    commented on 's reply
    I've got leftover Neem Seed Meal from mixing a batch of Coot's Mix for coco. Would that work? I hate the little freeloaders.

• JustBuddingAround
    replied
    I ended up using Diatomaceous Earth to get them under control.

Leave a comment:

• JustBuddingAround
    replied
    Thank You all very much for you suggestions. But I went to a store that sells everything to grow weed and he highly recommended SNS209 All Natural Systemic Pest Control. 1/2 Tbsp per gallon of water for each of my 5 gallon fabric pots. I also used the Yellow Sticky paper which caught pretty much all the adults flying around so now I just need to kill the larvae down in the soil.

Leave a comment:

• TOKABIGONE
    commented on 's reply
    Hey Cali, one ingredient you missed was guano or one of them, lol So your soil is pretty much like mine in the important parts. I'm using Coco Loco which has already been mixed with most of the above. It's just coco instead of peat, neither of which provide any nutrition, and perlite not pumice. I added volcanic basalt dust for the minerals as well as 5 more lbs of castings and Loco is light on perlite so I added more. Very similar to Coot soil and I've been finding more people leaning this way as it is a very premium soil mix IMHO! Here's to a happy harvest!

• TenTonBrick
    replied
    Diatomaceous earth (Foodgrade) also is a great organic pesticide . I use it on my vegetable garden and fruit trees. I put it on the soil around my cannabis plants as well

Leave a comment:

• Cali
    replied
    TOKABIGONE yes it’s part of my soil mix. It’s the original mix from Buildasoil also known as Clackamas Coot soil mix. I believe in my post of 2019 when I first switched to living soils I posted the recipe. It’s basically just compost preferably worm castings sphagnum peat moss and pumice for aeration that makes your base to that just add 1 cup per cubic feet or 7 gallons of neem/Karanja kelp meal and crustacean meal, for minerals gypsum oyster shell flour and I forgot the last ingredient but it’s that basic. Really works well

Leave a comment:

• OldManGrower
    replied
    Fungus gnats are easily and organically controlled by using sticky yellow "flypaper" available on Amazon for about $12.00 works great. I stick about a half a piece of this on a stick in my tent and it captures almost all of the gnats with no sprays or chemicals. The gnats are attracted to the yellow color. Also the gnats appear if your soil is too damp on the surface. Water completely but less often and that will prevent a reoccurrence.

Leave a comment:

• TOKABIGONE
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Cali have you used the meal in soil? I kinda found it by accident and what they claim sounds really good for all kinds of critters. At 1/2 cup per 7 gal soil it's gonna take me awhile to use my 2 lbs, lol.

• Cali
    replied
    TOKABIGONE go ahead and check out Neemresource.com you can find Neem and Karanja in both forms oil or cake/meal. Compare prices that’s is where Buildasoil gets theirs from. You can find Neem tooth paste, soap, leafs for tea all kinds of Neem products.

Leave a comment:

• Phlash
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, I’ll check it out

• PLreef
    commented on 's reply
    What do you mean?

• TOKABIGONE
    replied
    Phlash, I'm in process of mixing soil and I found a site that has Neem and Karanja cake meal. It is a systemic soil amendment that keeps all kinds of pests away. Fungus gnats, nematodes, spider mites, leaf chewers. It actually suppresses their appetite so they starve to death. Righteous vengeance I think! Build-A-Soil.com, Look for 50/50 Neem/Karanja granules and use 1/2 cup per 7 gal of soil.

About $20 for 2lbs

Leave a comment:

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X