Buds dried too fast - crispy after 3 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buds dried too fast - crispy after 3 days

The lack of experience really shows now - as much as I wanted to avoid this mistake,
    I still managed to dry the buds too fast as I left the air circulation too high...
    so now the buds feel crispy to the touch after just 3 days of drying.. the stems don't snap yet but they are stiff and feel like they would when trying to bend them..

What's the best thing to do to correct this?
    Start the curing process in a jar now, or use a humidifier to re-moisture them a little and leave them out to dry a bit more perhaps?

Thanks for any advice.

Does the stems snap/break? Or do they still bend ??

if they still bend you are good. If they snap they are ready for the jar
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• Tom81
      Tom81 commented
      Editing a comment
      They still bend but very stiff so probably close.
      Just worried that they dried too much too fast so if I leave them to dry more they'll be too dry for curing?

You'd be surprised how they get moist once jarred. Go ahead and jar them leave the lid on for several hours recheck open and feel. If they still feel " too dry " place a orange peel or some green leaf veg pieces seal back up.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Tom81
      Tom81 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, had them in jars overnight and as you said, the crispiness is pretty much gone, they feel rather wet again.
      So I guess to prevent mould etc. I best take them out again to dry more and just monitor RH?!

As budgal is saying, you can easily just jar them now and check on them👍🏻 What I do
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Hey Tom81 I did the exact same thing, same time frame and it caught me off guard. I underestimated the effect of a sudden drop in RH to 12 % on the drying. I immediately got them in jars with 62% Boveda packs and tiny RH gauges. Within 24 hours they were stable at that RH. Opened the jars for an hour daily the first week then a few minutes every other day for a month. No mold issue and the smoke is better after 2 months. My mistake was to harvest without having a RH stable place to dry. Won't make that error again!
      Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 07-29-2021, 03:32 PM.
      Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
      Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
      Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
      Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
      Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
      i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
      My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
      make pH correction unnecessary
      Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
      8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
      Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
      Semper Fidelis!

Comment

I just dried my first harvest and it's curing. I had the tent at 70F and 51-54% RH. The buds were super crispy after a couple of days but it took 8 days before I could snap a smaller stem off. I got a bit nervous about them being too dry as well but they're in mason jars now and curing nicely. Already back up to about 60% RH after a week.
        Danny

Lovin' life...

Grow System:
        DIY RDWC built in 10 gal tote container
        Vipar Spectra p2000 LED full spectrum light
        Vent fan w/carbon filter and assorted fans, airpump, dehumidifiers, etc
        2x4 grow tent

Current Grow: TOO MUCH

made the newb mistake of starting too many plants in my system. 2 Northern Lights autos and 2 Afghans autos

Comment

The auto's I just harvested went 6 days in curing to branch snap. Last year, I got too carried away with the fans and some only went 4 days. Biggest noticeable difference is much better smell with the longer drying...JMO

Comment

Get them in jars and get bovedas

Comment

Get yourself some hygrometers from Amazon and put one in the jar. It’ll tell you how much moisture you’ve got in them. Once you’ve had a couple of a harvests you’ll know by the feel eventually

Comment

Tom81 hope you don't mind me sharing my experiences so far with my first dry/cure. I think we're tracking pretty close in the process maybe so we could both benefit? If you'd rather I posted elsewhere just delete this.

As I said in an earlier post in this thread, mine were hanging in the dry tent for 8 days when I snapped off a few smaller stems. So they've been in a mason jar with a boveda 62% sachet and a small hygrometer for 4 full days now ( I thought it was longer...) and the RH has risen steadily from 54 to 60. I've opened, sniffed and shaken them every day and resealed. Nice aroma and they don't seem too damp...

I pulled a small bud out last night to try, figuring i've smoked lots of weed in the past that wasn't perfectly cured. I put it in a small dark jar with a boveda 62 overnight and today I ground it and rolled a joint. It seemed pretty fluffy after the grind. Not really damp. decent aroma. Rolled it in a rice paper with a cardboard tip and dropped it into my waterproof case until just before dinner when I sat on the porch steps and sparked it up. First draw was nice, tasty but it went out. Second same...papers burned down around the weed and it was hard to keep lit and smoke. Which tells me it's still too damp even though it felt crispy and the small stems broke.

Figured I'd open the jar for a couple days to let it air out some more. Any other advice from the collective appreciated.
                Danny

Lovin' life...

Grow System:
                DIY RDWC built in 10 gal tote container
                Vipar Spectra p2000 LED full spectrum light
                Vent fan w/carbon filter and assorted fans, airpump, dehumidifiers, etc
                2x4 grow tent

Current Grow: TOO MUCH

made the newb mistake of starting too many plants in my system. 2 Northern Lights autos and 2 Afghans autos

Comment

I'm at 2 months into cure with 62 Bovedas and hygrometers to moniter them. RH has stayed consistant at 60% pus or minus 3% the entire time. Next week I will change to 58 Boveda as that few % lower allows it to burn just right in my little glass pipe. Buds are stable now for long term storage.

Just be sure your room RH is below 60% before you leave the lid off too long or they will absorb more moisture.
                  Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
                  Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
                  Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
                  Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
                  Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
                  i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
                  My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
                  make pH correction unnecessary
                  Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
                  8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
                  Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
                  Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                    changeofpace2014 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Got tired of spliff going out. My weed has been cured for over 6 months now. I just ordered the 62% Bovedas, so we shall see.. Your comment about dropping down to the 58% for a nice burn caught my eye.. Keep that in mind...

For the record - you can cure buds really nice and it will still be good without all the hygrometers and humidity packs🤷🏼‍♂️ Just saying .
                  it doesn’t need to get complicated to cure some marijuana 😆

just open the jar one time or two in a day. And do that for a week and then repeat the next week with maybe only one time a day you open the jar.
                  No matter what the humidity is in the room or where you have the jars, still open the jar. Because they need some fresh air in the jar. Doesn’t matter if the humidity is 60% when you open. They still need fresh air and then you just close the jar a little sooner.🤷🏼‍♂️ It’s not rocket science.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
                    TOKABIGONE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All very true CaptainWiese91 but once you've f***d it up and a little too dry they are a great way to bring them back. The hygrometers are just to reassure you all is good. Just another item in your toolbox. Yes you can open the jar a few minutes for fresh air just don't leave open too long IMO.

• CaptainWiese91
                    CaptainWiese91 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m not saying hygrometer is a bad thing.
                    I’m just saying it’s not completely necessary for curing good weed. Sometimes in here it sounds really like you can’t do a cure without all these thing, and to that I was simply applying that it’s not that necessary.

Drying and curing of this grow: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/167838-kiss-grow-fastbuds-girl-scout-cookies-autoflower The method I
                  It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
                  http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Dannyboy58
                    Dannyboy58 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good info in these threads! Thanks for posting. I guess I expected once it reaches close to the target RH it would be smokeable. Sounds like it takes time for the moisture to balance out and it's not as simple or fast as i thought. Very helpful read!

This guy is saying that it's not a good idea to cure buds in a closed jar. Any thoughts?
                  Drying and curing cannabis flowers takes time and patience, but the finished buds are worth the wait. Here are four options for small-scale drying and curing marijuana.

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
                    DeadlyFruit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tom81 Just skimmed the article - Ed is saying never ‘dry’ buds in jars (drying being only half the process). I don’t think anyone here does the drying part of things in a jar as it would trap the moisture - when we talk about jarring it is for the curing portion after drying, where the final bit of moisture stabilizing and other magic happens. Ed looks to also be a proponent of doing the curing in an open environment as well but I expect the comment about never drying in jars wasn’t meant to apply to curing in a jar. Just my opinion but curing in an open environment only makes sense if you can control the environment. I am still going to use jars and ‘burping’ because by that point the drying is pretty much done and the jar is an easier environment to manage for curing. A jar will also keep contaminants from your fantastic homegrown buds.

Based on my read the most important thing in the article was drying and curing in a cool (not cold) environment to minimize terpene loss for a higher quality bud.

• Dannyboy58
                    Dannyboy58 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DeadlyFruit. The article specifically says don't use jars to CURE. He definitely makes a point of saying CURING in jars is bad but then doesn't address it as a different process from drying. I don't think the article makes much sense at all.

Originally posted by Tom81 View Post
                  This guy is saying that it's not a good idea to cure buds in a closed jar. Any thoughts?
                  https://www.edrosenthal.com/the-guru...ng-of-cannabis
                  I hear what he is saying and I respect his knowledge, but really, just another opinion. I will continue to use jars.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X