Pre-Harvest Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-Harvest Questions

I have been trying to do a lot of research into the topic, but I’m trying to find out more definitively what exactly 48 hours of darkness before harvest does. Is it necessary? What’s the gain? More importantly, what are the cons? Any input is welcomed!

I don't put mine in the dark before harvest. I just don't think its necessary.

However it must have seemed to help some folks because people still do it.

It may cause the plant to think it's late in the season and cause it to push all the final fluids to the buds. That's only my WAG.
    2X4X6 Quictent
    1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
    600w LED (80)
    1000w LED (180)
    2 X Viparspectra P-1000
    2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
    6" battery/usb fans
    Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
    GH trio with Calimagic
    Lung room humidifier
    3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
    ArmorSi, kelp when needed
    Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
    Northern Lights auto
    (Seedsman)
    auto 00 Kush
    (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
    2x Northern lights auto
    1 auto 00 Kush
    1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
    Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

• gromeister2020
      gromeister2020 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I didn’t do it in my first harvest and everything seemed okay. I also can’t imagine outdoor growers do it. I am interested to see what someone who does it says as well.

I really can’t see the purpose for the darkness ?
    more light equals more buds in my opinion.

so I would definitely just give them as much light as possible the last days
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• Catfish22
      Catfish22 commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly. How does anything extra happen without photosynthesis?

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      Could not agree more

Originally posted by gromeister2020 View Post
    I have been trying to do a lot of research into the topic, but I’m trying to find out more definitively what exactly 48 hours of darkness before harvest does. Is it necessary? What’s the gain? More importantly, what are the cons? Any input is welcomed!
    Sometimes I think the only difference you can see with some operations people swear by are only detectable by a mass spectrometer. I mean, TINY differences.

Look at it this way, in nature... does 48 hours of darkness occur? Does it really change the attributes of the THC levels or terpenes for human consumption? Idk, maybe. But I think it starts getting into theology of growing weed and not actual science. "My grand daddy used to do it that way" and so people carry on traditions but don't know why.

I don't do it.

Comment

Harvest merry flowers, who would like to smoke flowers that died 2 days in the dark.

Comment

Nice one Balu . When I decided mine were done I simply unplugged the lights and left them in the dark for 3 days before I cut them down. If it did anything to improve the quality it must have been REALLY weak before. Got 4 oz of mild sleep meds from claimed 20% THC strain.
        Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
        Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
        Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
        Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
        Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
        i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
        My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
        make pH correction unnecessary
        Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
        8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
        Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
        Semper Fidelis!

Comment

I'd like to see that theory mythbusted. Perhaps Nebula could do it for her next experiment since the LED side-by-side is nearly done. All I can guess is that someone supposed that the plants matured much more quickly in the dark, i.e. more trichomes turn amber in darkness as opposed to 12/12 lighting.
          Coconut Grove
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
          32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
          Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

There are scenarios when it could be useful, but the whole thing is mistified. Imagine you have some plants under very intense light right at the end of flowering. You want to wait a couple more days for them calyxes to swell but the tops are showing too much amber due to the strong lights. Then you put it in darkness and the plant will continue to swell but the trichomes won't degrade any more.

Another reasoning could be for those very worried about flushing nutrients and getting rid of sugars. Being in the dark forces the plant to use whatever sugar is left in those buds and leaves
            I don't do it. Comercial ops don't do it. But if you feel it could benefit your final product go ahead. But harvest one branch before and compare after they dry. Ill bet you won't notice a difference

Comment

• OldManGrower
              OldManGrower commented
              Editing a comment
              Great Idea! Very Solomonic; cut the baby in half. Your reasoning is logical and makes sense, the question is whether or not it actually works or makes a difference. This would be a great experiment, I would love to hear the results.

I followed some experiments on You Tube a couple years ago and never looked up on the end result of dark vs light at the end so I'm not much help. Changing the subject can be rude but so what lol.
            . What is your opinion and or knowledge on de-leafing? I have watched videos of the practice of virtually stripping a plant of it's fan leaves claiming direct light to your bud is better than any solar panel effect the leaves may have. Of course inside grows only. They went on to say the fan leaves are needed for outside elements and serve to only get in the way inside.. Personally I believe a middle of the road approach most effective. Any thoughts?

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
              TOKABIGONE commented
              Editing a comment
              In order to further protocols for posting, it it better to establish a new thread if you want to change the subject. Less confusion and more respectful. Thanks, Toka

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              Inside I take leaves off for light, outside I take leaves off for air flow (no leaf may touch another as that invites WPM)

• gromeister2020
              gromeister2020 commented
              Editing a comment
              Personally I don’t defoliate past week 4 of flower

I tried the 48 hours dark, what did it do? As far as I can tell it did nothing but the room cooled down, and it used less electricity, it may have increased the smell/taste but IDK for sure. I cant prove it either way. Mostly I grow outside, we can get 48 hours of dark when the right storm comes in, but likely not when its wanted.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X