Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preferred bag size for indoor photo grows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    BU2B it's an Aero-Garden. Last year I had no issues starting seeds in it, different coco starters now and they suck. I have all of the other holes taped over, I went way farther in there on my 1st photo grow but they were spongy starters. I was going to cut away the plastic and the green coco top but wondered about a peroxide water rinse. The A-G has a pump and I hit it to come on extra when I'm near it. Kitchen, 71 degrees. I'll put it in a pot and see what happens. No algae on the first grow but a huge root ball, it grew fine after transplant into soil. Thnx.

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    BU2B Thoughts on those roots? ^^ Thnx.

• PLreef
    commented on 's reply
    I haven't used their Bar harbor compost. I use COM seed starter in the center of my posts. Around the size of of a large coffee can. Then COM Stonington blend for the rest of the pot. On my next run I'll add more perlite. I think the mix would benefit from it.

• Puglover1
    replied
    The nephew was here, my printer is cashed. Add that to two cashed clothes dryers. Anyway, he said he'd come by this week to help me reset the closet, not going to take much/long. The Wild Thai bounced back from being snacked on, seems to want to live but, its roots. Do I rinse them in something before going into soil? Hydro peeps?? I hate these new starters, never had an issue with the old style. I can use tools to cut away most of the plastic, the bottoms don't meet/fuse. It's due for a water change but it's also moving soon and there's nothing else growing in there. I wish Crazy pug was guarding it but he's just hoping the cat drops a morsel of kibble. Would you save the seedling? Rinse/treat the roots or just sprinkle some goodies on them and plant?

I think I'll use 5 gal square bags for the two sativas, longer grow time; a 3 gal bag for the fast photo, finish the two smart cars (little autos) then use 1 gal bags to grow myself some basil, cilantro, and maybe a marigold for color. The outdoor garden I didn't get to have this summer. Is there anything wrong with that? Looking forward to plants on the ground (floor) again.

I guess I'll use Coast of Maine Stonington Blend but put Coast of Maine organic potting soil in the center of the pots for the new seedlings. CoM potting soil for my herbs. Still don't know if I should add perlite to the Stonington Blend though. At least the parts the cat ate were on low nodes, shouldn't be significant.

Leave a comment:

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    In March when I was struggling with dud seeds I used the shot glass and water, it didn't drop. I added peroxide - my last NL auto seed - put it in a paper towel, the root popped I dropped it into the pot on 4/20, three days later twins were born. I had zero issues starting 3 Mag bag seeds in the A-G but they were the older spongy starters not these cocos.

• PeterMatanzas
    commented on 's reply
    This is what I do also, soak a seed in water - it should float at first, if it doesn't, not a good sign it's probably bad. When the seed absorbs water and falls from the surface to the floor of the cup, that's when I put it in a paper towel.

• Rwise
    replied
    I myself like large pots (I dont use a tent), 20 gallon for the larger root system, also less water concerns etc. However your not going to be moving these around, unless you have a forklift. I picked up some 3 gallon cloth pots to use inside, I have to wonder IF they hold 3 gallons of soil. The 5 gallon seem to hold about 5 gallons and the 7 gallons holds a bit more, the 15 gallon bags must have been marked wrong as they hold 30.
    I myself plant all seeds into their final home, it is my thought you get a better stronger root system, and you know what that does. I do presoak sometimes to get a faster germination.
    The only commercial soil I have used is in the "Challenged" thread, it did well, but could be better.

Leave a comment:

• Farmbuck
    replied
    Ok this is what I do @Puglover1 and it works for me: I soak my beans in a glass of distilled water for 18hrs at least. After I put them in paper towel until they sprouted. Once sprouted I drop them directly to their final place, the 5 gallons pot. It may not be the best method but so far I never lost a bean yet. Well maybe one or two lollll

Bon dimanche !!

Leave a comment:

• Puglover1
    replied
    PLreef I bought a 1.5 cu. ft. bag of CoM Stonington Blend. I had already bought a 2 cu. ft. bag of CoM Bar Harbor Blend Organic Compost potting soil. I have 5 gal square fabric pots (or 3 gal or 1 gal) and seeds and a new light, mostly growing two sativa landraces, and a fast fem photo. Did I read that you use zero perlite in the CoM Stonington blend? I don't know if that bag will fill three 5 gal fabric pots. Or I could grow the fast photo in a 3 gallon. Are you familiar with CoM Bar Harbor? I'm thinking to do seeds in paper towels/ziploc then right into the pots after germ but I'm not sure if I should put something 'milder' in the seed-starting area in the pots' middles? Do you prep the pots - fill and wet a day or so before dropping the seeds? Also, does the bag need to be opened or prepped at all before or just pour into the fabric pots? Do you think the two CoM soils would play well together if I ran short? Thank you.

Farmbuck - when you said sativas go direct to final pots do you do the soak/paper towel/Ziploc until tap root pops and then drop them in the pots? Or seed right into soil? Thnx. I need to get this show on the road.

Leave a comment:

• Farmbuck
    commented on 's reply
    Well thank you @Puglover1
    I shall take a look at it..!

• Puglover1
    replied
    Farmbuck Look what I found, Mag Landrace Feminized seeds

Mag Landrace is a pure indica strain hailing from Iran that will leave your body feeling fully relaxed and your mind free of stress.

Leave a comment:

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    SoOrbudgal My first 3 photos - large - were in pots that come out to ~4.5 gallons each. I don't think 4 pots are OK for photos in my closet - tower or floor fan, mini-humidifier. Granted I had to stuff the doors closed near the end but the 3 Mags grew a lot of weed - topped, trained, yoyo'd, some plants' branches shared ties and yoyos at the end. I'm ordering 5 gallon fabrics. I plan to transplant to a mid-size pot, I don't want to cut a 3 gal bag or plant it inside a 5 gallon. I went from starters to peat pots to a 1 ? (I'd have to measure and compute) gallon plastic pot the first time, then to the final pot. Might look at 2 gal fabrics. I forget that lifting 5 gallons of water jacks up my arm & hand for a while, once in the closet on the floor I pull them out or around. I could see growing 4 autos in 3 gal pots in there, I might get monsters if I did, lol. I have 4 seeds in starters, WW Fast Fem popped overnight; two Wild Thai and one Mag seed from my own grown are the other three. If the Mag seed grows I'll clone and save the better-looking Mag seed for another time. WT sativa will take longer, thus the 5 gal. If all four take off I might be finishing the WW in the shower in the attached bathroom, my previous drying room.

• SoOrbudgal
    replied
    I work them like PeterMatanzas does, my fabric 3 gal to 5gal all i've every used for indoor photos, yes i do use 3gal. just not sure you can feel comfortable in small grow containers alittle bit more attention is needed in smaller pots. When i do run the 3gal. photos i flip them 12/12 at 6wks veg. You can't get wide Puglover1 in a 2ft closet can you? I'd go with the 3 gal. 4 photo plants can make alot of weed less hassle.

Leave a comment:

• PeterMatanzas
    commented on 's reply
    I'd prefer a 5 or 7 gal but my plants get moved around, and I judge "does it need water" by lifting the fibre pot. I can barely lift a 5 gal and a 7 is out of the question. So I usually stick with 3 gal.

• PLreef
    commented on 's reply
    Coast of maine, Stonington blend is definitely my new soil of choice. I couldn't be happier with it.. When I filled my pots I used Stonington blend but the very center of the pots I put about 6 cups of coast of maine seed starter and dropped my beans directly into the center.. With my last auto run I didn't add any nutes during veg. Once flower started I used half strength nutes. Every 4 watering I top dressed with around 3 cups of fresh soil and watered it in. It definitely perked up the girls. The price isn't horrible either. Worth trying IMHO.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X