Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions re: Flowering Phase - HYDRO

System info:

RDWC/bubbleponics with air pump, GH trio, calmag,koolbloom, hydroguard. ViparSpectra p2000 +​​ two 100W LED grow bulbs during flower. 4inch exh, fan, one circulation fan in tent.

My Northern Lights are in flower. One plant is 19 days into flower buds are beginning to get thicker. Leaves look terrible. I know it's normal for leaves to start looking less than normal during flower but just wondering if this looks ok?

They're drinking about half gallon per day so I replace it once the level is down by 1 gallon and adjust to the pH back into range.

I've had a couple of big drops in pH in the last couple weeks but corrected them right away. I've also taken to checking at the same time everyday just to be consistent. The massive pH drop seems to be near the end of the week when it's almost time to change the res anyway but it's a concern...

Yesterday, Friday, the level was down half gallon from Thursday when I had added a gallon+, TDS was 470, 5.9pH. Today TDS 508, pH 4.3! Now I checked about an hour early today but WTF! So overnight they were thirstier than they were hungry for nutes but I don't think that's a trend. It's been more consistently a drop in pH and TDS or TDS has been fairly stable even as water lowers. I do compare my results to the feeding charts to determine if I need more or less nutes on the next water change.

Other related info, having a hard time keeping the RH down this week, staying in the 52-56 range for the most part. Was shooting for 45 during flower but as the other plants in the tent have grown the RH rises close to 60. Put a small dehumidifier in the tent yesterday to see if that helps.

SO 2 questions I guess to summarize...

1. What's up with the leaves? Related to the pH drops?
    2. Anything I can do other than react to the pH drops?

EDIT:

When I looked under "Plant Problems" the brown spots lead me to believe it was calcium deficiency but I've been adding CalMag 1ml/gal of water. I use half the usual dose because my well water has a decent amount of calcium to begin with. It also says too much potassium can appear like a calcium deficiency. Maybe too much Kool Bloom and flora bloom combined?
    Last edited by Dannyboy58; 06-19-2021, 03:44 PM. Reason: additional info
    Danny

Lovin' life...

Grow System:
    DIY RDWC built in 10 gal tote container
    Vipar Spectra p2000 LED full spectrum light
    Vent fan w/carbon filter and assorted fans, airpump, dehumidifiers, etc
    2x4 grow tent

Current Grow: TOO MUCH

made the newb mistake of starting too many plants in my system. 2 Northern Lights autos and 2 Afghans autos

I agree that a flush is extremely important right now. I skimmed what has been written so far, so forgive me if I repeat. I would start with a 24 hour flush and then back down on the nutrients. Most of the time, when growers think it's deficiency, what's actually going on is NUTRIENT LOCKOUT, which makes everything look bad.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it. I was giving about half the mfg recommended dosage of the nutes based on other posts and advice but I added KoolBloom and increased the flora bloom when the NLs started to flower and may have been too heavy handed with it in my desire to fatten up my buds.

Here's something interesting though...When I changed the water the new fill was at 714 ppm, 6.4pH around 3PM Saturday. Sunday at 10PM when I checked solution was down 3/4 gal at 573ppm and 6.5. So if I believe the nutrient chart guidelines....lower water level, lower TDS/EC, and stable or rising pH is a good state. Plants are consuming water and nutes and not kicking out lots of acid, right?

I trimmed off a couple of the nastiest looking leaves because I couldn't look at them and they can't be beneficial to the plant at this point. A couple were kinda dry and crispy.

I have a feeling when I added the two 100w LED grow bulbs for the NLs they may have been too close and combined with the addition of the KoolBloom and maybe an imbalance like stated above it was kind of a perfect storm. The lights could explain why only the NLs were affected since the lights were pointed straight at them. The Afghans are considerably taller than the NLs, about 4 inches so the ViparSpectra light is further from them. That's why I felt I needed more light for them. I'll probably add another LED panel of some kind if I want to grow this many plants in the future. Next grow will only be 2 plants. I think I bit off a bit much for a newb.

I'm going to take both your advice, BU2B and alltatup , and flush for 24 hours with water treated with hydroguard and pH adjusted. Then I'll refill with a lighter nute solution.

BU2B yes that's the order in which I add the nutrients. Then I add Cal/Mag, Hydroguard and KoolBloom and THEN I adjust pH, pump the water to the res and check pH again, adjust if necessary. I check the solution every day and adjust pH as necessary topping off with hydroguard and pH adjusted water if it drops one gallon, then I recently read to drain and fill if you've replaced as much as the full volume before 1 week is out.

I realize now this is too much root mass and different requirements for one reservoir and I think that's a pretty big issue. Also believe it's just not enough solution for this many plants since 5 gals is about full capacity. Should be easier to manage next grow.
      Danny

Lovin' life...

Grow System:
      2x4 grow tent

made the newb mistake of starting too many plants in my system. 2 Northern Lights autos and 2 Afghans autos

Comment

By all means flush with RO water
        Use Hydro religiously and I made the same mistake of pushing cool bloom, and my leave started looking exactly like yours.
        How close are your light's? Old eyes but the leaves look a little curled.
        If your able to have your water tested, I would so you can dial in your mag needs, or us R/O water.
        ssss
        Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
        A tale of two seeds
        Batter Up Sour Deisel
        Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
        New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
        Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• Dannyboy58
          Dannyboy58 commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting to hear re: KoolBloom. Also not the first negative comment I've heard on it. I think i'll curtail the use of it for the rest of this grow...

The LED is about 22" above the NLs which puts it 18" above the Afghans, the minimum distance recommended by manufacturer. I also dialed it back to about 80% even though the guideline for flowering is 18-22" at 100%.

The 100w LED bulbs I added on the NLs were probably about 8" away at first. I moved them about 15" away last week.

I brew beer so my well water gets tested every year at Ward Labs. it seldom changes other than +/- .02 or so pH points.

OK, so I did a flush overnight and will drain and refill later this evening. I'm a bit "nute shy" now so the Kool Bloom will definitely NOT be used. I guess I'll go back to the safe and sure "half the suggested dosage" route on the GH trio with Hydro Guard.

How much CaliMagic? I think they recommend 2ml/gal and I've been doing 1 ml/gal.
        Danny

Lovin' life...

Grow System:
        2x4 grow tent

Comment

I drained the flush and refilled with nutrient water, easy on the nutes, half the GH recommended amounts, maybe even a little less flora grow. I went with 1ml/gal of cal/mag which is what the label calls for.

Tuesday night after fil - 5.25 gals, 615ppm, low micro and grow, half Rec bloom, c1 ml/gal cal mag, hydro guard, 6.5pH added 5ml ph down. Ph 6.4

24 hour later, Wed 10Pm - 4.5 gals, 411ppm, 6.7 ph, Adj to 6.0.

So in 24 hours plants drank 3/4 gal, ate 200+ppm nutes and pH went up slightly. Good scenario right?!

I knew I'd need to add water today and the pH has been dropping drastically when the water level gets more than a gallon down so I checked just now.

Today, 1PM - 4 gals, 443ppm, 4.7pH !! Topped off with 1 gallon water with HydroGuard, 6.8pH, reservoir leveled off at 5.6. Will check pH again later this evening.

Why the massive pH drop every time I get one gallon low? Maybe because of crowded roots in the tank? I know I'm suppose to check about the same time every day but that's a huge drop and doesn't seem like it would recover almost a full point of pH a few hours later in the day...

Damaged NL plant looks Ok, no further spotting or brown leaf tips but of course the damaged ones haven't recovered either.

Afghans still look super healthy and the second NL looks ok too.

Danny

Lovin' life...

Grow System:
          2x4 grow tent

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X