Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yellow leaves on clone in cup of water

Hi everyone.

Just wondering what people think might be causing the yellowing of the leaves on these clones? They were started in cups about 8 days ago and have just started showing roots. The clone tent is 75cm x 60cm, light is 100watt T5 light with 2 x purple globes 2 x white globes sitting 16-17cm's above clones. Temperature is 24-25°C and humidity is 45-50%. As I am thinking it might be nutrient deficiency, should I replace the water in the cups with 1/4-1/2 strength nutrients? Or do you think something else might be going on here? First time cloning in water, so any advice would appreciated. Cheers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by newbutoldgrower75; 04-16-2021, 07:51 PM.
    3rd indoor grow in 15 years.

2 x Wedding Cake(New420guy)
    2 x Grandoggy Jones(Connoisseur Genetics)
    6ft x 6ft BudBox Pro White
    4 x 37litre(10 Gallon) Bucket Company pots
    Professor's Nutrients 70% Coco 30% Perlite
    3 x ES 300's (2 x V2, 1 x V3)
    Professor's Nutrients feeding program(slightly modified)
    ISO-Max 200 exhaust fan with filter

This is a good question. I don't grow clones in water but I grow a lot of clones. I wonder if that light inhibits root growth. When I see that much yellowing in my clone leaves I am OKAY with it because I'm waiting for new growth at nodes. (Actually there isn't that much yellowing at all with your's.) I've had clone leaves go almost full yellow and yet show green growth at a node. The leaves here, altho a bit yellow, are not sagging, they don't droop. The plants are still healthy but I'm in educated guess mode.

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      newbutoldgrower75 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my first time doing clones in water, I also have clones in Jiffy's in a humidity dome next to them at the moment as well. Still fairly new cloning, tried a couple of times last grow with success using Jiffy's. Tried doing some earlier in this grow with grow wool with no success unfortunately, so thought I would give the clone in a cup of water a go, which was suggested to me by SoOrbudgal. They still do seem healthy and not drooping at all, especially compared to the White Widow clones behind them. I'm thinking of just giving them a 1/4 dose of base nutrients and this https://professorsnutrients.com.au/products/go-roots/ , don't think it will hurt them do you?

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d give them a dose of vitamin B. And maybe an NPK of 0.5 / 0 / 0. That’s my process but I’m dirt, not water. I think your humidity is slightly low. Still, they look ok. EDIT: imo 1/4 of the recommended dose sounds too high

Reason why I wonder if the light inhibits root growth because my limited experience says roots don’t like light

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      I have always thought the same thing, light and roots don't mix well. But after doing a bit of research and going by this tutorial https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-...-of-water-easy it doesn't seem to make much difference. I have the clones off to the side of the light so aren't getting direct light.

In the tutorial Nebula mentions that you can use veg nutrients at 1/2 strength from the start, so was thinking 1/4 strength would be ok to start with? I will try and raise the humidity a bit more, do you think they will do ok in the dome with the other clones I'm starting? Under direct light?

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea you’re right, they will love a humidity dome. Direct light is ok

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Thanks heaps for your help and advice buddy, I really appreciate it. Going to go move them into the dome now with the others. Cheers

8 days is a ridiculously long time to be in a cup of water....
    Far as nute deficiency most clones do suffer a little until they grow roots & can feed properly- nothing to worry about- they'll be fine.

Comment

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't think they wanted it to root in the water. In that case 8days probably won't be long enough.

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Hey buddy JDU I'm pretty much following this tutorial to start some clones off, I probably should have explained myself better https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-...-of-water-easy I like the simplicity of this technique. Reminds me of when my mother and father use to take cuttings from their garden and put them in a cup of water to get the roots started. SoOrbudgal mentioned it to me in another post and thought I would give it a go. I know I have a little bit to go before I plant them, but I was wondering if it would speed up the process by giving them a little dose of nutrients 1/4 to 1/2 strength, as the leaves have gone quite yellow now. The Gelato OG has a couple of small roots on them now, the White Widow aren't looking to good but will give them a bit longer. Thank you for your help mate..cheers.

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      Mom used to do houseplants that way too. Each time I tried weed they would get WPM so I stopped leaving them in water. There are several ways to successfully clone & whatever works for you is the right way. Sorry to jump into a convo not knowin exactly what was goin on lolol.
      Clones are pretty sensitive to nutes- I'd advise against. Rooting hormone though.... might speed things along ..??
      Last edited by JDU; 04-19-2021, 03:53 PM.

The yellow is normal as they eat the leaves, or more take away stored nutes.
    Tossing them in water can work, but I use aloe coat the cut end and plant them in dirt/soil. I get more survivers this way, good luck!

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Thanks buddy, appreciate your help. I have read about the aloe technique a few times while doing some research, I definitely will give that a try next time I do some clones. What's your success rate like with the Aloe? Would it be ok to substitute the soil with coco? Cheers

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X